Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
ChrisRaw
Initiate
Initiate
I've just bought a chime 2 to go with my arlo video doorbell.
My doorbell is connected fine via WiFi but having issues connecting my chime 2. I've gone through the process of adding a new device but when it gets to the connecting to WiFi part it won't connect to mine but instead tries to connect to an arlo WiFi that I have no idea what it is but can't connect, it says successful but then goes straight back to the screen asking me to connect it and it never actually connects.
22 REPLIES 22
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ChrisRaw,

The Chime 2 connects directly to your 2.4Ghz WiFi network. After scanning the QR code, the Chime should attempt to establish a connection between your mobile device and the Chime before attempting to connect to your WiFi network. This may be called something like "Arlo_SoftAP_XX" After that connection is established, you should then be able to sync to your home WiFi network and name the device. At what point are you experiencing an issue?

JamesC

ChrisRaw
Initiate
Initiate
I get to the connecting part, it comes up with a network called Arlo_whatever, a message comes up saying its connected but it hasn't as it then go back to the screen which starts looking for a network to connect to.
I've attached photos of what I see, as you can see it just goes back to the screen which says 'yes continue' but I've already done that step.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ChrisRaw,

Do you have a different mobile device you could try using to complete setup? If so, do you experience the same behavior?

JamesC

Ghzod
Guide
Guide
I’m just gonna add my two cents here since I lost a few hours of my life to this.

Had the same issue as OP and here’s what I did to fix.

My local wifi SSID had underscores in it (e.g. ASUS_58_2G) so as a test I created a guest network with no special characters in the SSID.

Tried again using the app and bingo.. now it’s on my network. Now that’s not the same network as the doorbell but I was still able to pair them and move on with my life.

For reference I was using the latest app version (3.5), iOS 14.7.1 and an Asus Nighthawk router.

I nearly returned this piece of kit since there is like zero documentation and the testing of this must have been almost zero.

Anyways.. thought I’d mention it if it helps anyone. Might be worth something to the support people so they can log the defect since it’s obviously a bug
barbaraann66
Initiate
Initiate

I also have the same issue. Very frustrating. I have tried and retried. Please help

importality
Aspirant
Aspirant
I know I'm late to the party. But one I have encountered beforeas causing device connections like this....

Make sure there are no VPNs and such between your portable device and the router you are connecting your Arlo to.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@importality wrote:

Make sure there are no VPNs and such between your portable device and the router you are connecting your Arlo to.

And note the earlier remark on unusual characters in the SSID or password ( _ in that remark, but other characters might also be a problem). 

Prav94
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am replacing Ring doorbell pro with Arlo essential wire free. I want know if this can link with Ring Chime?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Prav94 wrote:
I am replacing Ring doorbell pro with Arlo essential wire free. I want know if this can link with Ring Chime?

No.

kpowdk
Tutor
Tutor

hi all, 

I had a similar issue with Chime 2; but solved it by holding down the “sync” button on the right side and install it again.

Seems that Arlo app could not registrate because chime 2 already had been registered before

Brym
Initiate
Initiate
I had exactly this problem, but it was the % characters in the WiFi password that caught me out.
Mreillyminer
Guide
Guide

Brym, were you able to solve the problem by creating a new wifi password that does not contain any special characters (% sign)??  My password contains special characters, and I've been unable to connect my Chime 2.  I get all the way to the step of plugging in my home wifi password, but it won't connect.  Have tried EVERYTHING, but haven't tried changing my wifi password.  Seems absurd that something as simple as a % sign in a password could throw the whole thing off!!  But if it works, I'll try it.

Ghzod
Guide
Guide
Trust me it works. I ended up creating a separate Wi-Fi network just for the chime because I Eisner want to change my whole network to a less secure password.

The testing these peeps must do is almost zero. It’s a shame since it’s a nice product.

Also.. this is a defect that’s been around forever.. but they have zero interest in fixing it.

Create a test SSID (like a guest network) to test the theory. Saves you changing your Home Wi-Fi pwd if it doesn’t work
Mreillyminer
Guide
Guide

Thanks.  My home network doesn't have special characters, but my password does.  Maybe that's the problem.  If so, I'll be amazed that something so simple could slip through their QC/Testing.  Thanks for the advice.  Will try to give it a shot.

Ghzod
Guide
Guide
Yeah sorry I meant creating a new network with a simple password just to test.

I did the same because I didn’t want to change all my devices to a new password.

It ended up working and I was too lazy to remove the new guest network the chime was on so I just left it.

So my chime ended up being on a guest network but my doorbell, cameras etc are all on my regular network and it works just fine.

Good luck! I nearly returned my chime because of this btw hah
Mreillyminer
Guide
Guide

I think Ghzod gets the gold medal on this one.  I changed my home router password to remove all special characters, and the Chime 2 paired immediately.  Then, of course, I ended up having to remove the doorbell again and add it back again, this time with the new password.  What a ridiculous bug/glitch.  Arlo should fix this immediately, as it's a total hassle for customers, and I am now super-reluctant to ever buy another Arlo product.  Honestly, I wish I could just have my money back and have a better product that wasn't such a total hassle.  Thanks, Ghzod for the support!!  I wasn't able to get the same level of support from Arlo!

Ghzod
Guide
Guide
Glad I could help! Honestly it’s a terrible bug.. they have 2 factor auth but you can’t put special characters in passwords!? Crazy stuff.

I figured it would have been fixed by now, but I saw you reply to this thread and had to reply 🙂

have a better one!
Blue69
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you I spent 2 days trying to connect 4 calls to Arlo your solution worked perfectly

Elli143
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, this was exactly my problem. I cannot believe that Arlo hasn't bothered to fix this bug yet. We just set up a new wifi network and now we have to re-enter the password on every single device to get around this bug. Completely unacceptable, I have so much regret going with Arlo equipment. Should have gotten a Ring.

Ghzod
Guide
Guide

Yeah so I didn’t wanna change my main Wi-Fi password to something less secure so I created a guest network and put the Chime on that. It’s not perfect but it saved me having to so what you did and sign in all the  things again ..

agree that it’s crazy this isn’t fixed. I made this post ages ago and I gotta say I get a kick when I got a notification that I helped out someone new.. even in 2023 😺

differ
Initiate
Initiate

Hey there,

yes it is May 2023 and nothing changed.

Still ARLO CHIME 2 HAS THE SAME BUG, WON'T CONNECT TO THE NETWORK.

I even could not come to the point of asking my network credential. It gives me an error when I try to connect Arlo_9781 network.

"Unable to join Arlo_9781"

and then gives me some stupid advices to check if local permissons given bla bla...

How did you pass this step? any idea?

I tried this , nope did not work.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Video-Doorbell/Chimes-2/m-p/1830455

tried this, nope did not work.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Audio-Doorbell/Arlo-Audio-door-bell-does-not-connect-to-hub-base-...

and even checked this dumb article, nope does not work.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062551/What-do-I-do-when-Arlo-fails-to-discover-my-Arlo-Chime-2

Can you please help me???

thanks in advance

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Multiple posts about the same thing wastes everyone's bandwidth. I responded to your new thread.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation