Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can someone please shed some light on the new 2K Video Doorbell

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ZM1901
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I've spent a great deal of time dealing with what appear to be incompetent or lazy online support staff that don't bother reading the case support history (for any Arlo staff that want to look at how poor your support staff knowledge is, just refer to open case 43862246.

My query started off as battery issues but I never really got anywhere with support staff who are often not bothered to read the thread history often requiring me to explain myself multiple times. 

Anyway, purchased the new 2K Video Doorbell which I want to operate in a wired configuration full time. I am using a 24V AC 1000mA power adapter, which isn't doing very much at all it seems as my battery drains completely within 24 hours- shocking. Yes, I'm in a high activity areas but this is where I need my vid doorbell so it's useful to me. For context, I had an older gen wired online Arlo camera that operated perfectly fine with the 24V Ac 1000mA adapter so I decided to upgrade to the new 2k and use this same adapter... clearly it must not be charging fast enough at 1000mA maybe? So I've been asking whether a 24V AC 2000mA will make a difference or work where I won't need to manually charge. This trickle charge tech is absolute useless for my use case and I may need to revert back to an older 'wired only' vid doorbell. When I tried asking Arlo support for probably the 6th time, I asked whether an AC to DC adapter with high mA rating would actually work, and they said "yes" only to keep referring to Arlo pro 3 cameras which isn't even what I was asking for in the first place! I asked this a couple of times clarifying I'm not asking about pro gamers but video doorbell!! Shocking and incompetent to say the least. Anyway, I didn't think you could use AC to DC anyway but wanted to just check with well... you know, people that work at Arlo.. So any Arlo staff here, look at my case and you can see how shocking your support staff knowledge is (well at least the 5 different people that responded) 

Anyway, can anyone here help? Will a 24V AC 2A power adapter work for the new vid doorbell ( by work, I mean will it charge fast enough for my use case) 

Any insights on any of the above would be super appreciated. I may need to return this useless piece of tech otherwise. Don't call it a wired doorbell if it's just uses battery to power it. Or at least update your FAQs to state exactly what will work or won't for the known use cases. 

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The gen 2 doorbells have a battery management feature that is intended to increase the years of service before the doorbell needs to be replaced.  They are supposed to start charging when the battery level falls below 65% and then stop charging again when the battery level goes back up to 80%.

I can't tell from your post whether the doorbell was doing this correctly or not. (This is a user-to-user forum, and I don't work for Arlo).

Were you seeing the battery completely discharge (or go well below 65% with no sign of charging)?

ZM1901
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi , 

yeah i seems like the trickle charge kicks in at 65% as evident by the charge symbol but it must not be charging fast enough as the battery completely depletes requiring usb charge. This is not ideal for areas that have high activity so i should have stuck with the older wired version. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ZM1901 wrote:

i seems like the trickle charge kicks in at 65% as evident by the charge symbol but it must not be charging fast enough as the battery completely depletes requiring usb charge. 

The FAQ says 24 vac and 10 VA.  1000 ma @ 24 vac should be 24 VA, so certainly should be ok. You could try disarming the camera when the trickle charge kicks in, and see if that allows it to charge???

I am wondering if you should try exchanging it.

ZM1901
Aspirant
Aspirant

by exchanging, do you mean returning the camera for another? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ZM1901 wrote:

by exchanging, do you mean returning the camera for another? 

Yes.  With the seller if you are still able to do that.  That should be faster than getting a warranty exchange.

ZM1901
Aspirant
Aspirant

yup, that's what i'm going to do right now. Thanks for your valuable insights 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation