Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
djoberhe
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo wired video doorbell lost its WiFi connection (i.e., no longer appeared in the list of devices in the Arlo app). When I attempted to re-install the device (with the lights on the doorbell flashing), I could not find the QR code that I needed to place within the view of the camera. Now, the app reads that it is searching for the WiFi connection (for several minutes) and then states that it cannot find it. I've tried this for over 20 times.

Can anyone provide me with a QR code for installing the doorbell device, emailing it to edited? Thank you.

Hardware: Attempted with both iPhone and iPad

Environment: both with and without WiFi extender; relocated extender closer to doorbell

11 REPLIES 11
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The QR code tells the camera the network name/password of your wifi network.   You should have selected the network (or entered the credentials) in the app, and then it should have displayed the QR code.

Did you tell the app you were pairing the doorbell with a base/smarthub?

djoberhe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for responding.

<<The QR code tells the camera the network name/password of your wifi network. >>

I see. Then that explains why the doorbell can't find the network.

<<You should have selected the network (or entered the credentials) in the app, and then it should have displayed the QR code.>>

But I already have four regular cameras installed for the past year, so the app already knows the network, and it doesn't ask me to enter network credentials in the doorbell installation sequence. Is there anyway to get the app to prompt me for the network so it will display the QR code? (I guess I could then print the QR code so I would have it ready at the proper stage of the doorbell installation sequence.)

<<Did you tell the app you were pairing the doorbell with a base/smarthub?>>

Yes, I did.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@djoberhe wrote:

<<Did you tell the app you were pairing the doorbell with a base/smarthub?>>

Yes, I did.

That explains why you didn't go through the QR code sequence.

There is no need to tell the doorbell about your home network in that setup, because the doorbell never connects to your home wifi.  Instead, it connects to the base station's closed wifi.

What base station/smart hub model do you have?

djoberhe
Aspirant
Aspirant

<<That explains why you didn't go through the QR code sequence.>>

So I should run through the setup again, but skip the part where it asks about the base station? But would that help connect to the base station's closed wifi?

<<What base station/smart hub model do you have?>>

The base station is an Arlo Pro VMB-4000, made by Netgear.

Thank you for your help.   -David

djoberhe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Stephen:

By skipping the smart hub step, I did get a QR code-- after I followed the prompt to enter the password for my Spectrum WiFi. However, I got the "No doorbells were found" message once again.

Two things:

1. When I showed the camera my QR code, the doorbell did not chime.

2. A reason for that may be because the doorbell lights were/are flashing, whereas the setup says they should be steady. I don't see any advice on how to get a steady set of doorbell lights in the manual.

-David

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@djoberhe wrote:

but skip the part where it asks about the base station? But would that help connect to the base station's closed wifi?

If your goal is to connect your doorbell to your base station, then you shouldn't skip that part (and you won't use a QR code).

@djoberhe wrote:

The base station is an Arlo Pro VMB-4000,

GTK.  That is compatibile with your doorbell.

djoberhe
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I’m back to where I started. The QR code was not relevant, and the doorbell tries and fails to connect to the system.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@djoberhe wrote:

So I’m back to where I started. The QR code was not relevant, and the doorbell tries and fails to connect to the system.

Looking back at your first post - you say it suddenly disappeared from your device list?  Even if it lost its connection, it should stay on your device list (unless you remove it).

Did it actually drop off the devices display?  Or did it just go off-line?

djoberhe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Originally, I tried to make a connection to two iPads and one iPhone. I was never able to make a connection to any but one of the iPads. After two or three days, the doorbell disappeared from my list of devices on the one iPad. I have never been able to get the doorbell back on the list of devices in my Arlo app. And Arlo provides no customer support, not even if you sign up for the additional service. That is, if you sign up for the additional service/storage, you get support for some devices, but not the doorbell.

Perhaps I need to contact Spectrum, my Internet provider. Apparently, the doorbell is compatible with 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi, whereas my spectrum is 2.5 GHz, but that seems to be a long shot. And yet, I seem to have eliminated all failure modes except my Wi-Fi, which cannot detect the doorbell.

djoberhe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just for clarity, it did indeed drop off the list of devices in the Arlo app. It was there on the one iPad, and then it was not.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@djoberhe wrote:

Perhaps I need to contact Spectrum, my Internet provider. Apparently, the doorbell is compatible with 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi, whereas my spectrum is 2.5 GHz,

You are misreading something. WiFi bands are 2.4 gHz, 5 gHz, and (with WiFi 6e) 6 gHz.

No 2.5 gHz.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation