Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
davidurting
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

we currently have a doorbell (not an Arlo one) that got 'damaged' over the years due to UV sunlight. It seems odd to me that something like this can occur since it is an outside product but okay... That non-Arlo doorbell uses a plastic cover to protect the lens, and that plastic cover has no UV protection.

So, we are looking for another doorbell that does not suffer from this problem and the Arlo one seems a good fit. Is this a correct assumption? The doorbell will be oriented to the west so it will get some sunlight in the afternoon/evening.

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo outdoor cameras and doorbells are designed for outdoor use and can withstand a variety of weather conditions. As long as the conditions meet the criteria outlined in the following article, the doorbell would be expected to function without issue. For more information on this, see here: https://kb.arlo.com/1705/Are-Arlo-cameras-weatherproof

JamesC

markos11
Tutor
Tutor

Why do you link to a kb article which does NOT mention protection from UV instead of answering the question?  Weatherproof does not automatically include UV protections.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have cameras that have been outdoors for years with no UV issues. I'm not sure what you think UV may be causing but seems to me there's no issues due to this.

38Packard
Aspirant
Aspirant

Our Arlo doorbell has been damaged by high heat and sunlight as we face west and it is in the afternoon sun.  We live in the Northeast, so not like CA or FL or anything.  Ours lasted 3 years and the plastic around the lens has come unglued and the button has cracked.  Both areas of damage allow moisture to get into the unit and it becomes pretty funky re: what is sees and doesn't see.  I have to replace it at my own expense.  It is 3 years old.  Just search for Arlo sun damage and you'll get plenty of posts - I'm not only one.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation