Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Wired Doorbell not communicating with “Power Kit” in order to hear chime!!

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
solomo14
Follower
Follower
Installed Arlo “Wired” Video Doorbell! Installed “Power Kit”! Wondering how to get these both to communicate to one another because the chime does not work! The switch is connected to the on position. The doorbell works perfectly!! Only issue is we can not get the “mechanical” doorbell to make any “ding dong” noise! Has anyone gotten this to work?!?
7 REPLIES 7
Stuclark
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue!

Arlo support are absolutely useless and don't want to know about the problem! They just close my tickets and hang up the phone when I call them.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you're having an issue with your existing chime not ringing on doorbell presses, take a look at the troubleshooting steps here: Why isn’t my existing chime ringing when someone presses the button on my Arlo Audio Doorbell?

JamesC

FloridaBuckeye
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue and at first couldn't get the Arlo Video Doorbell to work.  Replaced the transformer and the old chime.  Finally get Arlo to display the flashing white and Amber lights.  After 20 minutes, the doorbell is operating and paired into my Arlo hub with other cameras.  I installed a new Chime, brushed nickel model with 10 tunes from Lowes.  At first, chime wouldn't operate.  Checked wiring from the transformer to the chime and to the Arlo video doorbell.  I finally reset a button on the Chime for 10 seconds and it worked.  Would only play the first 8 notes from the tune selected.  Instructions on the Chime required a small diode to be wired on the Arlo across the two contact screws.  After installing, the chime tunes played without a problem - again and again.  They would play when the Arlo Video doorbell would light up the white light as someone approached the built in camera.  I disconnected the diode and the doorbell works and the chime play partially but still works fine.  Not sure of any other Chime that might work better.  I'm happy with the Arlo Video doorbell and knowing who is at the front door.  Also like the speaker through the smartphone app.

damunn
Tutor
Tutor

Just installed the video doorbell to replace a recently purchased Nest Hello that I wasn't happy with. Everything is good, but the mechanical chime will not ring from the Arlo, although it worked fine with the Nest. When I remove the cover of the chime I can see the plunger moving slightly, but not enough to strike the chime. I checked the wiring, checked that the switch is set to "o" and checked voltage at the chime (18 volts). On hold waiting for support for more than 30 minutes now. 

Stuclark
Aspirant
Aspirant
The Arlo is stupidly sensitive about voltage, no matter what it claims in the instructions. At 24v mine blew up the supplied transformer inside 30 minutes. At 15v it refused to play with the mechanical chime box.

In the end, I found a chime box and transform designed for 16v (it's on Amazon UK - search for nest chime box 16v), and finally my Arlo is happy.

It's cost me another £45 to get to the point of having a working Arlo, and support have been useless, but now it's working (and with a significantly redesigned mount) it works ok.

Not great, just ok! Would I recommend it? Probably not
damunn
Tutor
Tutor

I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with a very patient and helpful Arlo rep. Finally figured out that my old transformer (1978 or 79) is only 5VA, which isn't nearly enough to power the Arlo and ring the mechanical chime. I'll try installing a new transformer and I assume that will solve the problem. 

damunn
Tutor
Tutor

The problem was the original (1978 or 1979) transformer that it turned out was only 5VA. Picked up a 30 VA transformer at Home Depot today and now the mechanical chime is working fine with the Arlo doorbell. 

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation