Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Wired Doorbell keep blowing transformer. Up to number three now!

Discussion stats
  • 35 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
SFWD
Guide
Guide

As  many people have commented (search "transformers") the wired Arlo Video Doorbell regularly blows transformers when the doorbell is pressed. I am appalled at the quality of the Arlo hardware.

I have just blown a third transformer, almost exactly two months after buying it then going through the soul destroying process of re-connecting the freaking camera to the WiFi.

I changed internet service providers yesterday so, once again had to go through the hellish experience of trying to change the connection. And, wouldn't you know it? It can read the QR code and chime but then never connects. Just like it always does when I need to change the connection.

In the end after standing outside with it hanging from live wires (necessity with these stupidly designed units), I removed it and set it up inside. 

Finally, success! Connected. I rang the doorbell twice because it was not activating my Arlo Chime (surprise!). The second time I rang it I saw an arc in the transformer and it was dead.

Arlo: fix this issue! This is costing me so much money and is so frustrating! And while you're at it, change the back of these units so there is a separate WiFi connection button. 😞

I would like Arlo to pay for all the transformers I purchase from now on. I DO NOT recommend purchasing this item.

35 REPLIES 35
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@RH123456 

Would you like me to escalate this for you? 

RH123456
Guide
Guide

I currently have an open ticket but it takes CS so long to get back to me and figure these things out. At this point, I would love even a partial refund for the return of the unit and the security camera. We have been trying to use this system for 4-5 months and it hasn’t been reliable. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@RH123456 Can you PM me with your case number and I will take a look for you. 

SFWD
Guide
Guide

But not me? 

I would like a brand new unit to see if that stops all this. I would also like to know what Arlo is doing to stop its unit blowing transformers and to make wifi connection more intuitive/ easy. @ShayneS 

RH123456
Guide
Guide

Unfortunately, it will not. Let me send a message, I keep getting an error, stating “you have reached the limit for the number of messages you can send”

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@SFWD 

Can you PM me with your case number as well. 

SFWD
Guide
Guide

I've decided to throw my unit in the bin. I've just spent hours trying to get it to reconnect to the same network it has been connected to since I purchased it and it will chime but not connect. The front plastic has deteriorated to the point where it is peeling off. The Chime also is erratic and disconnects and it's inside so we can't blame the weather for that one. Cheap components and bad industrial design. Not happy and won't recommend. 

Swarty
Initiate
Initiate

I am having the exact same problem right now and Arlo is telling me they will not take the unit back even though it is under warranty. 

My case # is 43529213 and 43529273.  

RH123456
Guide
Guide

Good luck. They told me I needed to install the power kit which I did on the first doorbell. I feel like I’m going in circles with them. Nothing has helped. We are selling/giving away our units and going with a more reliable brand. 

SFWD
Guide
Guide

I paid an electrician to install mine just to be safe. Waste of money. 

PLT
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue.  Two dead transformers.

Currently waiting on Arlo support for a solution.

Discussion stats
  • 35 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation