Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 35 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
SFWD
Guide
Guide

As  many people have commented (search "transformers") the wired Arlo Video Doorbell regularly blows transformers when the doorbell is pressed. I am appalled at the quality of the Arlo hardware.

I have just blown a third transformer, almost exactly two months after buying it then going through the soul destroying process of re-connecting the freaking camera to the WiFi.

I changed internet service providers yesterday so, once again had to go through the hellish experience of trying to change the connection. And, wouldn't you know it? It can read the QR code and chime but then never connects. Just like it always does when I need to change the connection.

In the end after standing outside with it hanging from live wires (necessity with these stupidly designed units), I removed it and set it up inside. 

Finally, success! Connected. I rang the doorbell twice because it was not activating my Arlo Chime (surprise!). The second time I rang it I saw an arc in the transformer and it was dead.

Arlo: fix this issue! This is costing me so much money and is so frustrating! And while you're at it, change the back of these units so there is a separate WiFi connection button. 😞

I would like Arlo to pay for all the transformers I purchase from now on. I DO NOT recommend purchasing this item.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SFWD
Guide
Guide

I've decided to throw my unit in the bin. I've just spent hours trying to get it to reconnect to the same network it has been connected to since I purchased it and it will chime but not connect. The front plastic has deteriorated to the point where it is peeling off. The Chime also is erratic and disconnects and it's inside so we can't blame the weather for that one. Cheap components and bad industrial design. Not happy and won't recommend. 

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Do you have a mechanical chime wired in series with the doorbell?

If you have the arlo doorbell wired directly to the transformer, when the doorbell is activated the transformer gets shorted out. 

SFWD
Guide
Guide

No I have the wireless Arlo chime.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

What instructions did you follow to install the doorbell?

https://kb.arlo.com/000062292/How-do-I-install-my-Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell-Wired 

refer item 6 at the end of the document.

To install your Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell without an existing doorbell or chime:

6. At the end of the installation process, select None as the Traditional Chime option to avoid any damage to your plug-in AC power adapter.

SFWD
Guide
Guide

The instructions on the Arlo app on my phone. It has been working until now with the WiFi Arlo Doorbell Chime. No change other than wanting to change the WiFi network. The last two times it blew, it blew just when someone rang the bell - which calls my phone and triggers the WiFi chime.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

When you think about it, pressing a mechanical doorbell button causes a short to appear at the contact connections so that that a chime can operate as it gets powered by the transformer.

The arlo doorbell will mimic this when installed for use with external chime.

Shorting out the transformer momentarily may not always cause it to fail, do it enough times and it will eventually.

To speculate, the arlo doorbell is set for using an external chime so it will cause a short when pressed. You’re not aware since there is no physical indicator to say otherwise until one day the transformer fails.

SFWD
Guide
Guide

Surely pressing a button on a small computer (that looks like a doorbell) that instructs it to send an instruction over WiFi to the partnering chime (that is not physically connected to the doorbell) would not require the transformer to short at all? It's an Arlo WiFi doorbell, connected remotely via WiFi to an Arlo WiFi chime. Am I missing something?

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

You are correct in saying that the stand alone arlo wifi chime will not impact the arlo doorbell transformer operation. This is a seperate device to the doorbell.

What I was referring to is how the arlo doorbell can be configured to operate with an existing mechanical AC or battery operated chime unit or as a stand-alone device.

I.e. if you have the doorbell configuration set for an external chime wired in circuit with the transformer the doorbell will short the connections momentarily to operate the external chime.

If you have the transformer wired directly to the doorbell it would short it out when the doorbell is operated.

Refer the install comment 6. mentioned previously.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

If you have the transformer wired directly to the doorbell it would short it out when the doorbell is operated.

I am unclear on whether the transformer is truly blown out, or whether there is a fuse link or similar protection in the transformers that is kicking in.

I understand where you are coming from, but Arlo says you can install it without a traditional chime here:

Not something I've tried myself, since I do have an old mechanical chime on the circuit. In principle there could be a current limiter in the doorbell, but unfortunately Arlo hasn't said.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I have no traditional chime and the wired doorbell worked properly when I used it.

SFWD
Guide
Guide

I've had this doorbell for over 2 years and it was not set to ring a traditional chime as I have never had one. It just randomly blows the transformer now and again. It has now done it three times.

I originally had electricians install it and approve the direct connection of the transformer to the unit. It is just the same as if I had wired it to existing wires from an old doorbell. I have spent a couple of days talking with Arlo support directly, and checking every single step of the installation.

If I was to speculate, I would guess that the software has some kind of error in the code which makes it switch to a traditional chime trigger at random times, causing it to overload the transformer and blowing it. 

And yes, the transformer is definitely blown. I saw it happen and smelled the hot metal and ozone afterwards.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

If what your saying is actually the case then arlo has a lot of potential fire hazards out in the community.

Probably should all be recalled.

SFWD
Guide
Guide

Speculation as noted but I'm getting pretty sick of buying transformers. Have put a surge protector on the new one I installed today.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

What generally happens when you short out a transformer is the primary side winding overheats and melts the windings insulating lacquer coating causing the windings to short together leading to a cascade overload eventually causing the windings wire to go open circuit, hence the blue arc and burning smell.

Using a surge protector as defined will not prevent the transformer from damage if it gets shorted although it may prevent a fire event. Usually surge protectors protect downstream electrical equipment from voltage surges that occurs on the incoming mains input to the home.

To catch a shorting event from the doorbell you would be best to use a inline 3AG - T 2A fuse plus holder on one of the transformers secondary output wires that connect to the doorbell.

The 3AG is the fuse gauge, T refers to delayed operation, 2A is the current rating.

Use a fully enclosed automotive inline fuse holder, you may need a few fuses to have on hand.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SFWD wrote:

I've had this doorbell for over 2 years and it was not set to ring a traditional chime as I have never had one. It just randomly blows the transformer now and again. It has now done it three times.

If I was to speculate, I would guess that the software has some kind of error in the code which makes it switch to a traditional chime trigger at random times, causing it to overload the transformer and blowing it. 

That is plausible, though I think if it were my design I'd want to have a current limiter in the circuit - otherwise misconfiguration would have significant consequences.

I do have a traditional chime, so this isn't something I would experience myself.  Though I did briefly short out the two wires at the door a few times (some years ago)  when I was testing my own installation.  No damage was done to the transformer.

One practical workaround is to just get an inexpensive mechanical chime.  You can easily silence it.

SFWD
Guide
Guide

The doorbell is on the gate and the chime in the house so unfortunately that won't work.

Arlo should not be selling a product that doesn't work seamlessly with their own non-mechanical chime though!

SFWD
Guide
Guide

It was the Arlo tech support guy who told me to put a surge protector on it!

Unfortunately I am not an electrician and have no idea how implement those other suggestions. If it requires that level of additional electrical work though Arlo should either:

• fix its product so it stops blowing transformers, or
  • stop selling its wifi chime completely and integrate solely with a mechanical chime, or
  • sell a transform with it's wired doorbell that has all that extra stuff built into it

Not happy.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

There is no mention of a requirement to use a surge protector on the doorbell transformer in documents I have read. Not sure why arlo support would suggest that.

I do not disagree with your comments on how arlo should handle the issue going forward.

Arlo documentation has mentioned that a power bypass kit is provided with the doorbell for the purpose of bypassing the traditional chime unit, although it doesn’t state that it is need to be installed in a chime less install.

There is little documentation on what the power kit does except below.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062315/How-do-I-enable-Bypass-Mode-on-my-Arlo-Video-Doorbell 

It is possible that it’s purpose is to also protect the transformer when in bypass mode.

Unfortunately only arlo’s deep think tank knows.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SFWD wrote:

The doorbell is on the gate and the chime in the house so unfortunately that won't work.

Is this a plug-in transformer?  Or is the transformer hard-wired?  Also, is it in your house?

To clarify - the placement of the Arlo chime isn't relevant.  The idea of the workaround is to put a cheap chime at the transformer location, so the transformer couldn't possibly be shorted out when the doorbell is pressed.  You could put damping material on the metal chime elements (or even remove them) if you don't want the chime to sound.

@SFWD wrote:

Arlo should not be selling a product that doesn't work seamlessly with their own non-mechanical chime though!

FWIW, I haven't seen other folks posting this, and other folks (including @jguerdat ) have similar set-ups.  

I don't think we really know the root cause.  After all, this happens every few months, not every time the doorbell is pressed.

RH123456
Guide
Guide

We just blew our second one. Plus, I’m on my third Arlo doorbell, it’s taking me months to get the company to replace it. It was working fine for a couple of days, and suddenly stopped working. 

SFWD
Guide
Guide

Yes mine just disconnected itself from WiFi again so is not working AGAIN. I can see it's picking up movement due to its lights, but nomatter how many times I do the reconnect procedure it won't reconnect. I suspect this time it might have been because it was raining? Who knows.

This is the most dodgy piece of hardware I have ever owned. Looking at Ring or Google Nest as a replacement.

RH123456
Guide
Guide

Weather! haha This is comical because our first one used to ring like you just won the slot machine when the temps dropped below 5-10 degrees! It was replaced with a refurbished wired doorbell, because that is Arlos policy, although it was only 2 months old. I continued to argue with customer support and eventually received a brand new replacement. However, we have had an electrician out here 3 times, they are coming back next week, because again, there is no power to the unit and I think the transformer blew based on voltmeter readings. We had the transformer replaced in November with the first wired doorbell SO… this seems to be an ongoing issue. 

RH123456
Guide
Guide

UPDATE: The new (3rd unti) replacement, which is brand new, quit working. We are done with Arlo as they don’t stand behind their products. This is absurd 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @RH123456 Did this camera work out of the box? Are there any error messages or will the device not power on? 

RH123456
Guide
Guide
The camera did work when I first installed it. Then, it stopped working a few days later without reason. I called Electrician back out to the house, and they did verify there is power to the front door. There is currently a push button doorbell hooked up and it functions without problems.
Discussion stats
  • 35 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation