Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Video Wired Video Doorbell with nutone intercom

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
DocEd
Guide
Guide

I have seen inquiries regarding the video doorbell with a Nutone intercom system. I'm in the same boat. However, I'm thinking of the following as a workaround and still use the video doorbell. First, can the power module be directly connected to the transformer? My thinking is that if it can I can then also directly connect the existing doorbell wires and the power module to the transformer bypassing the Nutone's system chimes. Then, I can plug in the Arlo accessory chime and use that as our doorbell. Anyone think this will work? Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DocEd wrote:

First, can the power module be directly connected to the transformer? 

You can remove the chime/intercom from the circuit - if you do that, you won't need the power module at all.

In the case of the AVD1001, you need a transformer that is between 16-24 VAC.

DocEd
Guide
Guide

Thanks for your suggestion. I was planning to keep the chime module in place but removing the wires from the front doorbell.  That should prevent the chime from being activated. Then I was going to attach the existing doorbell wires directly to the transformer since the transformer is providing over 16v. I could remove the wiring connector from the chime module to the main circuit board completely but I didn't think that would be necessary. Of course, I know I will lose the doorbells that ring throughout the house over all of the intercom speakers. I was going to get two Arlo wireless plug-in door bells for both the inside and outside by the patio.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DocEd wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion. I was planning to keep the chime module in place but removing the wires from the front doorbell.  That should prevent the chime from being activated. Then I was going to attach the existing doorbell wires directly to the transformer since the transformer is providing over 16v.

One of those two wires in the doorbell goes to the transformer already.  The other goes to the chime (and there is a return wire in the chime that goes back to the transformer).

One thing you could try is putting the power module into bypass mode.  That ought to have the same effect as the re-wiring, and would be simpler to reverse if you ever needed to do that.

DocEd
Guide
Guide

Actually, there are two wires on the chime module. One for the front door and one to the common terminal. None of the front door wires goes directly to either of the transformers. I know this because the wires to the door button are solid green and a green/white. These are the same as the wires on the chime module. If I remove one of the wires from the module the light on the doorbell button goes out and there is no doorbell. If I connect the power module in either the on or bypass setting to the chime module with the existing wires also connected the chimes sound repeatedly as if the doorbell button was continuously pressed.

Looking at the intercom schematic there is a dedicated chime transformer that powers the chime module. Removing one of the transformer leads should protect the chime module if it doesn't work. If the transformer doesn't provide enough voltage I can attache the power module. Attached is the schematic. I will post another attachment with the chime instructions. Thanks.

DocEd
Guide
Guide

See attached chime instructions.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Obviously quite different from the normal chime setup.

You could connect a compatible transfomer directly to the doorbell and disconnect the intercom/chime altogether.  If you do that, you won't need the power module at all.  And of course you would lose all the NuTone functionality.

Doing more would require more research (the info you provided doesn't give any info on whether the doorbell is getting AC or DC for example).   But it might be possible to add a relay to the transformer+doorbell circuit that would trigger the NuTone when the doorbell is pressed.  You'd likely be on your own here, as I don't think Arlo would provide any support for that setup.

DocEd
Guide
Guide

Thanks for all your help. I'll do a little more research and then make a decision on what to do.

Regards,

Ed

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation