Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Qwahzi
Tutor
Tutor
Hello all,

Does the Arlo Video Doorbell still work without the monthly Smart subscription plan? Do you get any storage at all or can you only watch the doorbell live?
37 REPLIES 37
frothingham
Guide
Guide

Exactly my point.  I replaced my Arlo Doorbell with the Video Doorbell and received no advantage.  A huge ripoff.

Linlol7
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought 2 video doorbells before going away for 4 months. Both were working fine. I had the 3 month subscription but I canceled it because I didn’t want to forget to cancel. Came home and the front door bell was not working right. Had to reload the camera. Then I would get the number of recordings, click on the number to see them and there were none there and they would disappear. One of the guys who answers the phones said I had to have the subscription to be able to see the videos. I don’t have the subscription but my driveway doorbell works fine. I can view the videos and delete them every couple of days. The Arlo guy said it must be a glitch because you’re supposed to have the subscription to be able to view the recordings. Does anyone know anything about this.

Linlol7
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought 2 video door bells. Had a complimentary subscription but I canceled early so I wouldn’t forget to cancel. The front door worked and then acted up. I couldn’t replay the videos. I’d click on the number and then they were gone. The driveway doorbell works fine. I get the video number. I click on it and can view and delete videos at will. I called about the front door doorbell and the Arlo guy said you needed the subscription. I told him I get the videos from the garage video doorbell. He said he must be some glitch. I am disgusted with Arlo. This guy, James, when I talk to him always asks to see the phone of the page that says I don’t have a subscription.l I think he gets money from these subscriptions. I’m going to take them back if this continues.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Linlol7 wrote:

I bought 2 video door bells. Had a complimentary subscription but I canceled early so I wouldn’t forget to cancel. 

Well, you won't get cloud recordings w/o the subscription.  If you pair the doorbell with a smarthub, you can use direct access to local recordings.

https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Dwent1811
Aspirant
Aspirant

Your link does not describe how to add the video doorbell to the Ultra base station. As far as I can tell this is not an option, only the cameras. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dwent1811 wrote:

Your link does not describe how to add the video doorbell to the Ultra base station. As far as I can tell this is not an option, only the cameras. 

It's an quite new option, and I've done it with my own doorbell.

During the setup you'll be able to choose to connect it to your base.

Dwent1811
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. I found it in another post. I had to uninstall and reinstall the doorbell to do it.
SJTheiss
Aspirant
Aspirant
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

SJTheiss,

For information on how to connect your doorbell to a Base Station or SmartHub, take a look here: How do I connect my Arlo Video Doorbell to an Arlo SmartHub or base station?

JamesC

Nlopez8705
Initiate
Initiate
Yes basically you just have a really expensive doorbell
Lmsummers
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, am I correct in thinking that if my doorbell is synced with my base station, I will have the default 7 day free cloud recording when my free smart subscription trial is over? 

Scott941
Initiate
Initiate

You are correct in *thinking* that, as you should, but you'd be thinking wrong.  

Coupe27
Initiate
Initiate

I am just now realizing this myself, I loved the doorbell when we first got it, but now am finding that without THEIR subscription services, its lame. I would love to be able to recommend a product, however not being able to see let alone store recorded feeds is beyond annoying. Why would I pay somebody monthly for something I can accomplish with another product. About to give this one away.

Discussion stats