Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
maniac180
Tutor
Tutor

Does the Arlo video doorbell integrate with HomeKit?  A lot of the Arlo line does but I can't find anywhere that states the video doorbell does.

70 REPLIES 70
SingletrackMind
Guide
Guide

How should I know...or know it all dscoti for that matter. None of us are affiliated with Arlo (Netgear). We’re all just reading stuff. At this point, it’s going to be a waiting game to see if either they remove the references of the doorbell for HomeKit or they drop an update that makes it work.

TechByJosh
Aspirant
Aspirant

good point.

SJohannsen
Apprentice
Apprentice
Not holding my breath. Right now would just like the video doorbell to work. Had a power outage and all the Arlo cameras came back up except the doorbell. Hasn’t been found during several setup attempts. Doorbell rings but can’t get video back, which is kind of the point.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are rolling out a firmware update for base stations and SmartHubs that will allow HomeKit compatibility Arlo Video Doorbell (AVD1001). This firmware update has not be deployed yet to all users but we expect it to be completed in the coming days.

I will provide an update here once the firmware is available to all users.

JamesC

TechByJosh
Aspirant
Aspirant
Best news ever. Finally.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Clarification to my original post above.

The upcoming firmware update will allow Arlo Video Doorbell (AVD1001) to be HomeKit compatible.

For those with Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wire-Free (AVD2001) we're still working on getting Apple certification for HomeKit compatibility. When this is available, I will provide another update.

JamesC

TechByJosh
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ugh. What a nightmare.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry folks...another clarification...

AVD1001 will be supported with the upcoming firmware..not AVD2001.

TechByJosh
Aspirant
Aspirant
With all of this back-and-forth I am confused. So what you’re saying now is the wired normal video doorbell is the one getting the certification, correct?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TechByJosh,

Correct. The articles linked above are accurate...the firmware just has not reached all users quite yet.

Once everyone has the firmware (we're hoping in just a few days), the original Arlo Video Doorbell (Wired, AVD1001) will be HomeKit compatible.

AVD2001 will be coming in a future release.

JamesC

TechByJosh
Aspirant
Aspirant
Good. Finally
SJohannsen
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well, that renews my interest in getting my doorbell working again.
nicknieto
Initiate
Initiate
Once the firmware is out. Do we need to do anything to add the doorbell to HomeKit? Or will it just automatically show up with our other cameras?
AntB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Has anyone gotten the doorbell added to homekit yet? More specifically, anyone that had other cams already connected to homekit? Curious if there is action needed on my part to add the doorbell in. Also, what firmware version are we waiting for? Just don’t want to continue trying to add the doorbell if I don’t even have the appropriate firmware pushed to me yet. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

When your base station/SmartHub receives the following firmware version you will be able to sync your AVD1001 doorbell to the base station/SmartHub and then it can be recognized by HomeKit:

VMB4000 - 1.16.4.2_3653_e3618b1

VMB4500 - 1.16.4.2_3544_e3618b1

VMB4540 - 1.16.4.2_751_e3618b1

VMB5000 - 1.16.4.2_787_e3618b1

Once these firmware updates are available, the notes will be available here: Firmware Release Notes

JamesC

AntB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Excellent, thank you James! Very much looking forward to the update coming through! 

Kane74
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello @JamesC , well done on the doorbell integration to Homekit. I am sure the complexities you had to face and overcome to achieve this milestone were not insignificant in any way.  Well done. 

Cheers from Australia...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The firmware has been released for compatible base stations/SmartHubs allowing for this HomeKit integration.

You can find the release notes here: Release Notes

Announcement post: Arlo Wired Video Doorbell and Arlo Pro 4 are now compatible with Apple HomeKit!

To receive the firmware update, you must wait until the automatic update window (tomorrow morning) or manually reboot your base station/SmartHub.

JamesC

SingletrackMind
Guide
Guide
Woot! FYI...my hub didn’t see the firmware update until I forced a reboot of it. Then it updated on its on and the camera showed up in HomeKit on its own.
MiddKid
Guide
Guide
Rebooted, updated, and now my Doorbell is showing up in HomeKit. Thank you!
AntB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Nice! Same here! Rebooted, firmware installed and doorbell showed up. Easy peezy, appreciate that Arlo!