Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
maniac180
Tutor
Tutor

Does the Arlo video doorbell integrate with HomeKit?  A lot of the Arlo line does but I can't find anywhere that states the video doorbell does.

70 REPLIES 70
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Happy to discuss, but used it intentionally 😉

c3poo
Aspirant
Aspirant

tvOS 14 has new integration that includes ability for camera/doorbell alerts/video to appear in PIP window. But we're out in the cold hoping (without evidence) to get invited to the game. Or I suppose waiting for other vendors to play well in this space so we can switch. 

nicknieto
Initiate
Initiate
This is disappointing. Hard to recommend to friends and family with such mixed HomeKit support.
jjzelinski
Aspirant
Aspirant
Agreed. Can't seem to figure out that their fancy new doorbell should integrate into Apple Homekit upon release? Seriously, what a stupid company. Definitely NOT recommending to anyone anyone.
JGP7229
Star
Star
Ok so I’ve wait for about a year now for the doorbell to become HomeKit compatible and still nothing.... I’m considering updating all my cameras (9 cameras inside and out) does anyone have any suggestions that are HomeKit compatible?
Fluf_Meowerson
Guide
Guide
I’m planning on selling my Arlo Video Doorbell on Kijij and replacing it with a HomeKit doorbell - any recommendations on doorbells? I feel completely duped by Arlo with their Homekit lies. What an awful awful company.
Bradys88
Tutor
Tutor
I guess I’m leaning towards Eufy. Reviews are fairly good and the specs are comparable to Arlo. The biggest benefit is if you pay for iCloud storage, you get free secure video storage with activity zones included in your iCloud subscription. Basically if you pay $10 / month for 2tb storage for your family’s iPhones and iPads, you can save up to 5 cameras video without using your storage at no additional cost. It would be like arlo (not) smart but with all the added perks of iPhone storage and backup. That’s the path I will go next.
SJohannsen
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for the iCloud tip. I didn’t see that anywhere. I have some internal eufy cameras and don’t really need storage on them, but it is good to know since I do pay for iCloud anyway.
pat9
Initiate
Initiate

Due to the lack of proper FULL Homekit support I am just waiting on the end of my initial subscription (December) and will sell my two base stations, Ultra 4k cameras and video door bell to switch to another vendor...

No evolution and still the same lame answers repeated ovr time does not build confidence in this line of products. Too bad, the hardware was promising but the others are now catching up...

BlakeHampson
Aspirant
Aspirant
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Eufy Video Doorbell doesn’t integrate with HomeKit either. Just the Cam 2 & 2C (not the E)... which is about as much support as Arlo offers, sooo 🤷🏻‍♂️
BlakeHampson
Aspirant
Aspirant
Seems like you only have three options for HomeKit integrated doorbells: Netatmo, Robin, and Yobi https://www.apple.com/au/ios/home/accessories
Mh1634
Aspirant
Aspirant

+1 if Arlo is keeping tabs for feature requests. I think there are many people who want the Video Doorbell to integrate with HomeKit like so many of the other Arlo devices.

SJohannsen
Apprentice
Apprentice
I see Arlo has released a new video doorbell. This one battery powered. No Homekit on this one either. Guess they didn’t get the hint.
CraigCl
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is a huge disappointment. How does Arlo advertise HomeKit integration when it's not?

SingletrackMind
Guide
Guide

This support document specifically states that the wired video doorbell DOES support HomeKit if it's paired with a base station.  Well I have a wired video doorbell paired to a VMB4000, yet my doorbell isn't working with HomeKit.  My two Pro 2 cameras work perfectly so I know everything else is good on my end.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062279/How-do-I-connect-my-Arlo-camera-to-Apple-HomeKit 

SJohannsen
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well that’s new in the support doc. Used to omit the doorbell. I’d give it a shot but haven’t been able to get my doorbell connected back up after a power failure a while back. Still rings the doorbell, but no video. Silly installation instructions don’t allow just trying to reconnect. Have to go through the whole installation procedure so by step to get to the pairing step. It’s exhausting.
MiddKid
Guide
Guide

According to multiple sources this morning, HomeKit has been added to the Video Doorbell.  Perhaps they are just keying off the update to the support document which now lists the doorbell because I'm not seeing anything else official anywhere (the second article mentions it was announced at CES).  I just tried to see mine in HomeKit and it's still not functioning.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/01/12/arlo-wired-video-doorbell-now-supports-apple-homekit

https://homekitnews.com/2021/01/13/homekit-added-to-wired-arlo-video-doorbell/

TechByJosh
Aspirant
Aspirant
dscoti
Guide
Guide

I can’t believe Arlo hasn’t responded to all of you that have pointed to the support article as confirmation that the original video doorbell is now HomeKit enabled. 

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it just isn’t so. The newer, wireless only, “Essential Doorbell” is the one that is HomeKit capable. 

Our only option is to buy this essential doorbell or move on. I seriously doubt that the original most of us purchased will ever get HomeKit. It will likely never integrate with the remote chime so we can have a reliable audible indication that someone rang our doorbell. 

I cannot find a more uncaring, deaf to its customers, and greedy company than Arlo. Their equipment may be good, but their software, integration, HomeKit, and customer support absolutely suck. 

MiddKid
Guide
Guide
Interesting nuance between the Essential and original. Do we know they are different? I only ask because today I unpaired my video doorbell from WiFi and paired it with my hub. When doing so it had me add it as an “Essential Video Doorbell.” I was making an assumption that this was a simple name change...but perhaps not? Are there different model numbers?
TechByJosh
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is literally the opposite of what every article says it says it’s the wire doorbell not the wireless
TechByJosh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think this is a typo.  The essential video doorbell is wireless.  

SingletrackMind
Guide
Guide
Based on the product pages for the two, it’s not a typo. The wired shows HomeKit when you scroll down. The wireless shows all except HomeKit. Seems like the marketing team as simply gotten the cart before the horse and is out of sync with the dev team.
TechByJosh
Aspirant
Aspirant
So are you saying that we are getting HomeKit?