Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Last week we launched the all new Arlo Video Doorbell. This week, we’re hosting a live chat in the Arlo Community with Neal Skura, Senior Arlo Product Manager. Please join us at 11AM PT this Thursday 12/05/19 as he discusses and takes your questions about the all-new Arlo Video Doorbell.

If you can’t make it during the scheduled live chat, we will leave this thread open until the end of the day Thursday 12/05/19 to allow you to post questions for Neal.

NealSkura_headshot.jpg

Neal Skura is a Senior Product Manager with Arlo Technologies, responsible for the Arlo Video Doorbell, Arlo Go LTE camera, and Arlo wired cameras, including Arlo Baby and Arlo Q. With over 17 years of experience in the consumer technology industry, Neal has held a variety of roles across product management, engineering management, embedded software development, and quality assurance. Fueled by his genuine passion for technology and technological curiosity, Neal is excited to bring new consumer products to market.

Neal has earned an MBA in Management of Technology, complementing his Bachelor of Applied Science in Electrical Engineering.

We look forward to having you join the conversation!

Thank you!

136 REPLIES 136
Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Kami9a wrote:
Another question about the door bell, any chance it can be hard wired for power? It is annoying to constantly be going though AA batteries on your current doorbell and battery life is not good on the current doorbell. I can’t imagine how bad it will be with the addition of a camera.

@Kami9a Great news!  The Arlo Video Doorbell is a wired solution - no need for any batteries.  You might be referring to our wire-free Audio Doorbell solution, that was powered by 2x AA batteries.  The Video Doorbell uses your existing doorbell wiring, between 16 -  24VAC, so there's no need to recharge or replace batteries.

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@fmanda wrote:

I'm especially interested in HomeKit support. What is the timeline for adding that to the Video Doorbell? Will the new Secure Video feature be available?

While the HomeKit support for the Baby Cam took some time (during a spec transition on Apple's end), I was blown away by the support that did eventually come for all the sensors, and it's by far been my favorite HomeKit cam to date (I also have the Logo Circle 2 and the D-Link Omni). 

@fmanda  Our goal at Arlo is to make as many cameras compatible with as many smart home integrations, such as HomeKit.  However, we don’t have an announcement to make regarding Video Doorbell compatibility at this time.

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@sandibluegrass wrote:

will the speaker allow real time conversation or will there be a lag time like the speaker on the cameras

@sandibluegrass  The Arlo Video Doorbell offers full duplex, two-way audio - so no more push-to-talk delays or taking turns between speaking and listening. 

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Fasteralex wrote:
Why is the new Arlo Video doorbell not compatible with Homekit from apple? Is there a plan to make it compatible like the Arlo pro 2 cameras? Why when an Arlo product is launch can it be compatible with all 3 major Smart Home Hubs (Alexa, Homekit, google Home)?

@Fasteralex  It is our goal to make Arlo products compatible with as many smart home integrations as possible.  However, we don't have any specific announcements to make for the Arlo Video Doorbell at this time.

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@bravada7011 wrote:

Interested in the Arlo Video Door Bell.

Does the Arlo Video Door Bell support Arlo Smart Chime Speaker?

When someone rings the doorbell can the Arlo Chime ring upon pressing the button on Arlo Video Door Bell?  Is this supported or do you have to use a mechanical connected box?

Thanks!

@bravada7011  The Arlo Chime requires a base-station, and it can be configured to ring or play a melody when motion is detected by the Arlo Video Doorbell.  Unfortunately, we do not currently have a way to trigger the Arlo Chime when the Video Doorbell button is pressed.

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Mtison wrote:
I have 4 cameras now and use the free version for Arlo pro. I know that if I go to 6 camera’s, it is no longer free. If I pay for that service, does that cover the monthly cost of the doorbell?

@Mtison  If you subscribe to an Arlo Smart Premier or Elite plan for your account, it will cover both your cameras and the doorbell.  To learn more about our selection of Arlo Smart plans, please visit: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/landing/arlosmart/

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@michael-colby wrote:

the doorbell video can be triggered by events from arlo pro (2) cameras, but the doorbell requires a separate video archive subscription?

@michael-colby  Yes, the Arlo Video Doorbell includes a 3-month trial of Arlo Smart, which includes cloud storage.  After the 3-month trial, to maintain the same experience with cloud recordings, rich notifications, activity zones, and custom alerts, you would need to subscribe to an Arlo Smart plan.

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@MRThomas wrote:

I believe you can buy a doorbell transformer that plugs into the wall... Is that correct Neal?

@MRThomas  Yes, just be sure to purchase one that meets the minimum AC voltage and power requirements, 16 - 24VAC, with 10VA.  Also, be sure to configure your Arlo Video Doorbell to use "None" as the Traditional Chime type during onboarding or in Device Settings.

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@michael-colby wrote:

pay for a subscription to archive videos from up to 10 cameras. and i currently have 8 arlo pro 2 cameras. i have to pay for a separate subscription for the doorbell camera?

@michael-colby  Sounds like you are already an Arlo Smart Premier subscriber.  So no, you won't need to pay or subscribe to anything extra for your Arlo Video Doorbell.  It will be one of the 10 devices covered on your plan.

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@AKL2019 wrote:

Just to clarify: if I do not have a subscription, and I receive a notification of motion detected at the doorbell, will I be able to see what caused that notification to be sent?  Similar to when I receive a notification that one of my Pro2 cameras has detected motion,  I can see a short video of what motion was detected.  

@AKL2019  Without an Arlo Smart subscription or 3-month trial, you will still receive an instant alert when motion is detected and from there, you can live-stream your Arlo Video Doorbell to determine what is happening live at your front entry.

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@beccanels10 wrote:

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I am a current Arlo Smart Premier customer, will the Video Doorbell just add to that, as I only have 3 cameras right now? Or am I going to have to add another subscription to allow the doorbell to record?

I currently have the Ring Pro as my doorbell and would like to be able to save money by not needed to pay for the additional fee, as I’m already subscribed to Smart Premier and have only 3 of the allowed 10 cameras in use.

@beccanels10  As an Arlo Smart Premier customer you can include the Arlo Video Doorbell without any additional subscriptions or charges.  The Arlo Video Doorbell will be one of the 10 devices supported on your account plan.

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@lesreg wrote:

What is the difference between the old version and the new version? 

@lesreg  Great question - there are number of key differences between the Arlo Audio Doorbell and Arlo Video Doorbell.  First and foremost, the Video Doorbell includes an integrated camera with ultra-wide field-of-view and an improved two-way audio experience.  Next, the Video Doorbell connects directly to your 2.4GHz WiFi network and does not require an Arlo base-station or SmartHub, unlike the Audio Doorbell accessory.  Finally, the Video Doorbell requires existing doorbell and chime wiring, between 16 - 24 VAC, with 10VA, while the Audio Doorbell is a completely wire-free solution, offering complete flexibility on where it can be mounted, and it can be paired with a wire-free camera to supply video as well.