Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Last week we launched the all new Arlo Video Doorbell. This week, we’re hosting a live chat in the Arlo Community with Neal Skura, Senior Arlo Product Manager. Please join us at 11AM PT this Thursday 12/05/19 as he discusses and takes your questions about the all-new Arlo Video Doorbell.

If you can’t make it during the scheduled live chat, we will leave this thread open until the end of the day Thursday 12/05/19 to allow you to post questions for Neal.

NealSkura_headshot.jpg

Neal Skura is a Senior Product Manager with Arlo Technologies, responsible for the Arlo Video Doorbell, Arlo Go LTE camera, and Arlo wired cameras, including Arlo Baby and Arlo Q. With over 17 years of experience in the consumer technology industry, Neal has held a variety of roles across product management, engineering management, embedded software development, and quality assurance. Fueled by his genuine passion for technology and technological curiosity, Neal is excited to bring new consumer products to market.

Neal has earned an MBA in Management of Technology, complementing his Bachelor of Applied Science in Electrical Engineering.

We look forward to having you join the conversation!

Thank you!

136 REPLIES 136
Ibfox
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am interested in replacing my Arlo audio doorbell with the new Arlo video doorbell. I previously had a ring pro video doorbell. The selling point of the ring pro was that it was hardwired and wouldn’t require any batteries. After it died, searching the Internet I found that it had an internal battery that once it died it was not replaceable and rendered the doorbell useless. I will never by another Ring product due to their lack of transparency.

The new Arlo video doorbell is hardwired, is there any battery internally that will eventually die in the same fashion of the ring pro or has Arlo found a way to power the camera and the chime without needing a secondary power source?

Thank you
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Neal_ArloPLM wrote:

@Whatarussh wrote:

The Arlo community is fed up with the lack of support to resolve the ongoing and repeated issues with Geofencing. Why should anyone buy new or legacy products from Arlo when the company demonstrates such incompetence and lack of customer support? 

@Whatarussh  We hear you - Geofencing remains a priority for us to resolve, we're aware of issues and making continual improvements.  Specifically, Arlo is working closely with our partners to improve the overall experience.

It would be great if you brought the software development and support in house and co-located product management, hardware design and software development all in the same building.  Tighten this ship up.  We are all drowning...and have been for years now.

Kami9a
Aspirant
Aspirant
I think the question here is will content be release to Government/police without notification to the end user.
jhorts918
Initiate
Initiate

@Neal_ArloPLM the activity zones DO NOT WORK and also your vehicle detection thinks that cars are animals. 

DG10
Star
Star

Hi Neal, I have 12 cameras and 2 base stations. I really bought into the system a year ago. I have been waiting eagerly for a video doorbell from Argo, so I was excited to see it released. However, my excitement has completely disappeared as I have learned that it requires a subscription to store anything on the cloud. The primary reason I bought the Arlo 2 was due to the 7 day cloud storage included. If it had required a subscription, I would have chosen a different system. Now, I was really counting on the same basic platform for the doorbell, so this is very disappointing.

Also, I would like to point out 2 issues that are badly lacking for existing Arlo systems...one has been mentioned many times in this thread..Geofencing has never worked for me, I have opened tickets with support and they tell me that they will let me know when it is fixed, but nothing. 

The other issue is that users do not get any alerts if a base station goes offline. This has been an open issue for as long as I have owned the systems, and needs to be addressed.

Thanks for your time.

AKL2019
Initiate
Initiate

How do I join this chat?

lwrand
Initiate
Initiate

How can we view the replies to the questions?

luarlo
Initiate
Initiate

How do we get into this live chat regarding the doorbell?

azarloGuy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Won't even consider any other product until Arlo gets its act together.  Fix the geofencing, communicate with the community promptly and develop a sense of urgency.  Months to fix something is unacceptable.  My home has been unbeknownst to me been left in a disarmed state because geofencing did not work.  You are forgetting you are a SECURITY company by providing these cameras.  If the software does not work, it's nothing more than a paperweight.  This is not the first or second or even third time that geofencing was crippled by you over the past few years.  I've lost track how many times and its time for someone to be held accountable.  Stop peddling new stuff and focus on fixing what you have.

I'll say it nicely.  Please!!!

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Probablynot wrote:

Will the time delay to open/boot be similar to Arlo Pro? I love my Arlo system, but lets be real, unless you have a Pro 2 and the cameras are plugged in you're dealing with delays in triggering/opening/viewing to get to where you're actively viewing the feed. I've also never gotten the two way audio to work properly (separate issue) so I'd be concerned about the viability of a doorbell camera integrated into the currently Arlo system in it's current state, for something that is meant to deal real time with people coming up to your door and ringing the bell.

Now, if you can include this in your triggering scenarios that may help. IE: If my driveway camera triggers the doorbell starts recording.

The Arlo Video Doorbell is a wired solution and it connects directly to your WiFi - these two features allow it to maintain an active WiFi connection and improve video streaming latency.  When the doorbell button is pressed, the Arlo Video Doorbell offers a completely new SIP video call architecture that delivers the video and audio stream direct to your mobile device as an incoming call.  Further, the Video Doorbell offers full-duplex, two-way audio when live-streaming, so you can communicate in real-time. 

Cross-triggering between the Video Doorbell and other cameras is also available through the Modes configurations.  So you can definitely have your Video Doorbell record when other cameras detect motion.

bravada7011
Initiate
Initiate

Interested in the Arlo Video Door Bell.

Does the Arlo Video Door Bell support Arlo Smart Chime Speaker?

When someone rings the doorbell can the Arlo Chime ring upon pressing the button on Arlo Video Door Bell?  Is this supported or do you have to use a mechanical connected box?

Thanks!

Mtison
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have 4 cameras now and use the free version for Arlo pro. I know that if I go to 6 camera’s, it is no longer free. If I pay for that service, does that cover the monthly cost of the doorbell?
michael-colby
Tutor
Tutor

the doorbell video can be triggered by events from arlo pro (2) cameras, but the doorbell requires a separate video archive subscription?

MRThomas
Aspirant
Aspirant

I believe you can buy a doorbell transformer that plugs into the wall... Is that correct Neal?

bhildreth
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do join the discussion?  No tab or button to push on screen

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Brill53 wrote:
There isn't a category for the Arlo Video Doorbell?? Is there a wiring diagram for a 2 video doorbell system?

Regarding the category for the Arlo Video Doorbell, if you are adding a new device to your account, select "Doorbells & Chime" then you'll find the Video Doorbell option.  Please ensure that you've updated to the latest iOS and Android Arlo app.

We include wiring instructions in the onboarding expereince for the Video Doorbell.  If you have a more complex system, you may want to consult a professional or our installation partner, HelloTech.

If you're attempting to power two video doorbells, please keep in mind that you may need a higher powered transformer.  The Arlo Video Doorbell requires at a minimum, 16-24VAC, with 10VA transformer.  For two video doorbells, 30VA would be advised.

Kami9a
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can we get a discount code to order one? I will be replacing my current Arlo doorbell and throwing away the VMB4000 base station that is only used for this door bell... I currently use the Arlo Ultra system and aM Arlo baby monitor, and the glitching old doorbell...
sandibluegrass
Aspirant
Aspirant

HOW DO I GET INTO THE CHAT????????????????????????

michael-colby
Tutor
Tutor

pay for a subscription to archive videos from up to 10 cameras. and i currently have 8 arlo pro 2 cameras. i have to pay for a separate subscription for the doorbell camera?

Arlo38
Initiate
Initiate

Do we have to pay for a subscription to join this chat??

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@LNavarro wrote:

Will the video doorbell integrate to my existing Arlo (not pro) system so that I can view captured video in the cloud app as I do now?  Or will it require a separate paid subscription and its own separate hub?  It would be a great add on but if it requires separate hub, app and subscription then this opens it up to competitive devices.

Yes, the Arlo Video Doorbell uses the exact same Arlo app and experience as your other cameras.  It comes with a 3-month trial of Arlo Smart, which includes cloud storage and the full Arlo Smart experience (e911, rich notifications, activity zones, and customized alerts).  It doesn't require a SmartHub or base-station, as the Video Doorbell connects direct to your 2.4GHz WiFi.

After the 3-month trial ends, you will continue to be able to live-stream, receive instant alerts on motion detection, and receive doorbell video calls.  To continue to get the benefits you experience during the trial, you would need to subscribe to an Arlo Smart plan.

n8sb
Guide
Guide

When will the Arlo Video Doorbell be able to integrate with Alexa, Google Assistant, IFTTT and Wink.  I use motion detection to turn on my front door light.  It works with my Arlo cameras but no support for the doorbell. 

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Retired_Member wrote:

So I'm an early video doorbell adopter and had it pre-ordered.  I installed it basically next-day when it was released and shipped from Best Buy.  It's functioned great so far and is a good supplement to my existing porch camera as I have them trigger linked.  I love that it connects directly via WiFi as well and wish more of the Arlo camera products did this instead of being so heavily reliant on the base station which is super temperamental.

My only question is if there are any plans to allow for "fun" door chimes or customizability of the chime thereof.  Nest's doorbell allows for neat holiday chimes.  Do you envision this as being a feature soon like your competitors currently do?

We appreciate your feedback and I'm happy to hear that you've had a great experience so far.  I am always collecting feature requests from customers and feedback like this helps us to plan and prioritize future enhancements.  Thanks!

rseward
Apprentice
Apprentice
I was an early adopter to arlo, started with the original cameras, then the Pro2, then the Audio doorbell, now the Ultras.
Arlo has a history of releasing products before they are ready for market (Ultra, Audio Doorbell).
My question is.... what has Arlo done differently with the Video Doorbell to ensure the out of the box user experience delivers on the marketing promises?
JimOfWA
Tutor
Tutor

I don’t see your replies to the questions. Am  I in the wrong place?