Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Video Doorbell - 2 Mechanical Chime Boxes in House

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
emailcrystalc
Follower
Follower

In my house, I have 2 mechanical chime boxes on different ends of the house.  I was able to connect the video doorbell to one but what do I need to do to connect the other chime box?  Do I need another power kit?  

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@emailcrystalc wrote:

In my house, I have 2 mechanical chime boxes on different ends of the house.  I was able to connect the video doorbell to one but what do I need to do to connect the other chime box?  Do I need another power kit?  

I also have two mechanical chimes.  You only need one power module.

If both chimes rang with the old doorbell, then the video doorbell should already be connected to both.  If one isn't ringing, then you should check the transformer (or just replace it).  It does take more power to drive both chimes and the doorbell.

dvancleve
Aspirant
Aspirant

Howdy folks.

I just installed my video doorbell. After my 20 year old doorbell wires broke several times while I was trying to attach it, I finally got it working. It was only after I came in the house and noticed a strange buzzing sound that I realized I’ve had two chimes in this house the whole time. Initially I thought maybe each chime needed a power kit, but my understanding is the power kit is for the doorbell rather than the chime. Any idea why my second chime, the one without the power kit, is just making a constant buzzing/grumbling sound now? I would like to stop it. I could just disconnect it, but it’s a fairly large house and I don’t really like the idea of a non-functional time just sitting there.

Thanks, Doug

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dvancleve wrote:

Any idea why my second chime, the one without the power kit, is just making a constant buzzing/grumbling sound now? I would like to stop it. I could just disconnect it, but it’s a fairly large house and I don’t really like the idea of a non-functional time just sitting there.

First I'd confirm that the chimes are correctly wired.  Try disconnecting the second chime temporarily, and then confirm that the doorbell still rings the first chime.

Assuming they are correctly wired, I suggest replacing the transformer.  FWIW, the power module didn't work properly with my chimes either ( the failure mode was different from yours - the chimes just didn't ring when it was installed).  Although my old transformer did meet the specs, replacing it solved the problem.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation