Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Essential Video Doorbell connected directly to transformer, blowing transformers.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Mgolfnut
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am connecting two Arlo Essential wireless doorbell cameras directly to two transformers without a mechanical chime, for hardwired trickle charging. The transformers are each intended to power one Arlo Essential doorbell and are properly rated for 16VAC-30VA. 

When I install the transformers, they read 17.6 VAC as they should and I have 17.6 VAC at the terminals of the doorbell mounting plate. When I install the Essential video doorbells onto the mounting plates, the voltage immediately goes to almost zero. When I remove the video doorbells, the transformers no longer work. They have almost zero voltage and will not restore or operate at all ?? The transformers immediately are bad once connected to the video doorbell. 

All equipment is properly updated to latest firmware and connected to Arlo hub. Everything works properly but will not charge using the transformers. 

How can I connect the Arlo Essential video doorbell directly to a transformer with no chime ?? Each doorbell is connected to an Arlo chime and that all works fine. 

13 REPLIES 13
RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Doorbell transformers put out AC ~ alternating current.
   Your doorbell probably takes DC =direct current. AC and DC are not the same.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo doorbells use existing AC voltage from the transformers. Transformers do not supply DC voltage.

I wonder if the transformers have too low output CURRENT capabilities which is for 1A for wired doorbells and 10VA for wireless (which works out to 1A for 10V). If you toggle the power to the transformers, do they reset?

RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

...in the initial message, it says right on there that the transformer output is 30va... volt-amps...

... 30 Watts / 16 volts comes to about 2 amps.. two amps at 16 volts..

I can't believe the transformers are actually burning out.. they should destroy the device they're hooked to before they themselves short out and burn up.

Mgolfnut
Aspirant
Aspirant

The transformers do not reset even after being deenergized. They simply stop putting out any voltage on the load side of the transformer. 

Mgolfnut
Aspirant
Aspirant

The transformers may not actually be burning out ??  They simply shutdown and stop putting out any voltage on the load side of the transformer. And they do not reset or start working again even after being disconnected. 

RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

well,  that is unexplainable by me.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@Mgolfnut ,

can I ask if you are using the existing doorbell wiring or you have connected the transformer directly to the arlo doorbell? I.e. no mechanical chime already installed.

The external power operation for the arlo doorbell in the documentation infers you already have a working doorbell configuration so the arlo doorbell mimics the old button shorting contacts.

I imagine that with the transformer directly connected it would be effectively being shorted out.

As a workaround, insert a 100ohm 10watt resistor in one of the transformer’s wire lines(series) .

The added resistance will mimic the mechanical chime and stop the transformer from being shorted out but will still provide trickle charge to the arlo doorbell.

Just be careful with the location of the resistor as it will generate some heat.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd guess there's an overload protection (fusible link?) in the transformer that's blowing. WHY that is blowing is the question. It seems like a short is happening so be sure the connections on the doorbell aren't causing it, however unlikely it seems. Are the doorbells mounted on a metallic surface? Changing to a different transformer may be needed but that's costing money. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

I'd guess there's an overload protection (fusible link?) in the transformer that's blowing. WHY that is blowing is the question.

Pressing the doorbell will create a very quick short (just a spike).  Normally the coil in the chime would add some resistance to the circuit, which would reduce the amount of current. 

@DannyBearAgain's suggestion of adding a resistor to the circuit could well do the trick. 

If you have the AVD1001, then I think just putting the powerkit in series might also do the job. Setting it to bypass mode diverts the power around the chime, and I haven't seen any posts here that suggest that it might short out the transformer.

Maybe also try a different brand of transformer.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

It could also be a faulty doorbell chime that has shorted out if the wiring was originally installed.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

It could also be a faulty doorbell chime that has shorted out if the wiring was originally installed.

Possible I guess, but @Mgolfnut says there is no chime at all.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Agree that the mechanical chime was initially discounted as not installed.

If the doorbell wiring is pre-existing it suggests that a chime could still be in circuit somewhere just not working anymore since it is shorted out.

Mgolfnut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Our home is new construction and the wiring is new as well. It is wired to a chime location but no chime is installed. I am using wiring directly from the transformer to the doorbell location, new wiring, no splices. Transformer is connected directly to the video doorbell and the setup was done using the wired instructions with no chime. It simply does not work !! I have gone through (6) transformers testing different approaches ….

My next attempt will be to insert a mechanical chime into the charging circuit to see if that solves the problem ?? 

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation