Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Added Doorbell camera to Arlo Pro 2 but 7 day free recording is not available?

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
hiosilva
Tutor
Tutor

I have owned a two camera Arlo Pro 2 system and added the doorbell.

Our free 3 month subscription to the Premium package on the doorbell ran out and now I get no recordings on it.

I still get the 7 day free recordings on the other cameras and was under the impression I was just adding one more camera to the package.  Is it required that I sign on to a subscription for the doorbell?  If so, that is very disappointing as I originally purchased the system based on no subscription requirement and convinced a friend to also purchase Arlo because of it.  He purchased and installed the doorbell and is now under the 90 day free Premium deal.  He will not be happy when he learns he needs the subscription package.

This was never made clear to me when I purchased the doorbell and neither did my friend.

Is there any way I can get my hub to record all cameras no matter what generation, or am I stuck with a subscription for the doorbell?

12 REPLIES 12
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

hiosilva,

To continue experiencing the same benefits offered during your trial period, you will need an Arlo Secure subscription plan for your doorbell. For more information, take a look here: What options will I have when my Arlo trial ends?

JamesC

hiosilva
Tutor
Tutor

This doesn't really answer my question.

I knew that the Premium trial was coming to an end but thought that I could get 7 day recording on the hub that has my 2 Arlo Pro 2 cameras already installed.

Is recording with the Arlo Doorbell only available with a subscription?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@hiosilva wrote:

Is recording with the Arlo Doorbell only available with a subscription?

Yes.

All the newer cameras (starting with the Ultra in 2018) need a subscription for cloud storage.  That includes the doorbells.

Murthyhsv
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is there an option we could store ftom the door bell to the usb on the base station?
Bainf
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same question as everyone else. Why can’t I record! The answer is always the same. You need a subscription!! OR RECORD TO BASE STATION. But never explains how to do that.
I am guessing only certain base stations do this. Which ones?
I have older cameras and base station hardware VMB3010r2
Can I record to this base station (without a subscription)?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bainf wrote:

I am guessing only certain base stations do this. Which ones?

The answer is here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station

Bainf
Aspirant
Aspirant
The article says my base station is “ Compatible with: Arlo Pro 2, Pro, Wire-Free, and Audio Doorbell”. So I guess that means Essential video wire free doorbell.? They seem to be economic with their language. But if I go to article swapping from wifi to base station

https://kb.arlo.com/000062393/My-Arlo-camera-is-connected-directly-to-my-WiFi-router-how-do-I-connec...

it is not compatible.
This article applies to:
VMB4000 VMB4500 VMB4540 VMB5000 AVD1001 FB1001 VMC2030 VMC2020 VMC2032 VMC2040
So it seems to be compatible (and not compatible)unless there is some other “wire free”
The best base station VMB5000 is “Compatible with: Arlo Ultra, Ultra 2, Essential wire-free, Pro 4, Pro 3, Pro 3 Floodlight Camera, Pro 2, Pro, Wire-Free, Wired Video Doorbell, and Audio Doorbell” which seems to suggest the Essential wire free doorbell (model AVD 2001B) I have. Can anyone clarify?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bainf wrote:
The article says my base station is “ Compatible with: Arlo Pro 2, Pro, Wire-Free, and Audio Doorbell”. So I guess that means Essential video wire free doorbell.? 

No, unfortunately it doesn't mean that.  The original Arlo camera (before the Pro) was called the Wire-Free.  There are folks still using that camera.  I have pointed out the problem with the KB language to Arlo, so hopefull they will adjust the text to make it more clear.  Wire-Free should always have "Camera" added after it, whenever an article refers to that original camera.

Arlo has said they will add the ability to add the Wire-Free doorbell to a base station.  Hopefully they will release that capability soon - lots of people here are wanting it.

Bainf
Aspirant
Aspirant
I was kinda guessing their language was poor.
I have the essential wire free cameras which are specifically referred to in some hubs compatibility. So so am still confused.
The best hub says

“Compatible with: Arlo Ultra, Ultra 2, Essential wire-free, Pro 4, Pro 3, Pro 3 Floodlight Camera, Pro 2, Pro, Wire-Free, Wired Video Doorbell, and Audio Doorbell” which suggest the (essential) wire free ones that I have.
If that is the case, then the wording suggests the wireless doorbell is not compatible with any hub or base station ? (Or compatible with all!)
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bainf wrote:

If that is the case, then the wording suggests the wireless doorbell is not compatible with any hub or base station ? 

That is in fact the situation at the moment (as I tried to say above).

It's a feature Arlo says they are working on, but not released yet.

Bainf
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for response. Much appreciated

I am now 100% happy with answer and 0% happy with Arlo and their wording. I have actually wired my wireless doorbell which makes it more annoying.

I would have kept my $2 doorbell if I had known.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bainf wrote:

I am now 100% happy with answer and 0% happy with Arlo and their wording.

The good news is that Arlo (finally) released new firmware for the AVD2001 a couple days ago that will allow it to be paired with compatible bases (VMB4000, VMB4500, VMB4540 and VMB5000).  Make sure the doorbell is running 1.2.0.0_621_903a525_c998ba4 or later firmware before you switch it to the base.

Homekit integration isn't available yet, they are saying it will be available "early next year".

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation