Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera does not read QR code to get it installed?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Qwertyu123
Follower
Follower
Camera does not read QR code when installing, does not beep like instructions say it should?
7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Qwertyu123 wrote:
Camera does not read QR code when installing, does not beep like instructions say it should?

Make sure the network name and password are correctly typed - they are case-sensitive.  Also, you might need to move the camera (or phone) around a bit, in order to make sure the camera has an in-focus view of the code.

Does your network name (or password) have any punctuation or special characters?

GC12GLADIATOR
Tutor
Tutor

I ran into the exact same problem à while back. Just forget the QR code generated by the Arlo app and use another QR code generator like https://qifi.org  which will translate your wifi SSID and password into the correct QR code. Print it and show it to your doorbell camera. This worked immediately for me. Hope it helps!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GC12GLADIATOR wrote:

I ran into the exact same problem à while back. Just forget the QR code generated by the Arlo app and use another QR code generator like https://qifi.org  which will translate your wifi SSID and password into the correct QR code. Print it and show it to your doorbell camera. This worked immediately for me. Hope it helps!

It'd be interesting to know if this works for other users (when Arlo's fails).  Hopefully people will post their own experience.

In cases where Arlo's code fails, but the other one succeeds, it would be interesting to compare the two codes visually, and see if how they differ.  Or scan them both with another QR reader, and see if the information differs.

GC12GLADIATOR
Tutor
Tutor
@StephenB Yes I expect the QR codes to be different but I’d be curious to know what the Arlo one reads exactly or rather why it doesn’t allow the doorbell to be found on some Wi-fi networks
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GC12GLADIATOR wrote:
@StephenB Yes I expect the QR codes to be different but I’d be curious to know what the Arlo one reads exactly or rather why it doesn’t allow the doorbell to be found on some Wi-fi networks

There might be some characters that the Arlo QR generator can't handle.

There have been some reports here that an underscore (_) in the network name fails.  No idea what the cause of that is, but the QR generator is a possibility.

FWIW, you can test this idea on your own network by pretending to add a device (say a pro 4) via my.arlo.com, and then print the Arlo-generated QR code.  Then you could see how it differs from your alternative generator.

GC12GLADIATOR
Tutor
Tutor
@StephenB Strangely enough mine has not one special character but the Arlo app still couldn’t generate the correct QR.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GC12GLADIATOR wrote:
Strangely enough mine has not one special character but the Arlo app still couldn’t generate the correct QR.

You could still start adding a new device and then print the Arlo-generated QR code.  Then scan it with a generic QR code scanning app, and see how it compares to the third-party site (or just what you entered).

I don't have this particular problem, so it's not something I can troubleshoot.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation