Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

AVD1001 - chime not working

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Tutor
Tutor

Have a AVD1001 and did a re-install using the installation app. (even had the QR scan work on the 1st try!) I got to "traditional chimes" and did a test and everything worked. Closed the app and the only thing NOT working is the "traditional chime". ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Last thing..  I have called Arlo tech support for over a week about this and was being told my case needs to be taken to the next level (whatever that means?) and they will get back to me ASAP. Usually 2 days go by & I get a phone call / voice mail that they are calling regarding my case and that they will send an e-mail right after this call (never receive an email) and please respond to my email so I can contact you immediately. Great example of Bad Customer Service 101. 

Would appreciate if someone has a suggestion to get the chime working. Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You could simply disconnect the wires from your chime. Otherwise, I believe you'd need to remove the doorbell from your account and add it back but choose no traditional chime when prompted.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@54664933073 wrote:

Would appreciate if someone has a suggestion to get the chime working. 

Have you checked that the power kit isn't somehow in bypass mode?  (The switch should be set to the "O" position).

You could also try power-cycling the doorbell (turning off power to the transformer from your circuit breaker box, and then turning it back on again).

Although this is a pain, you could remove the doorbell and touch the two wires together, and see if the chime sounds.

Tutor
Tutor

The power kit is in the"O" position. 

I did cut the power to the box

I'll try the two wire suggestion. 

Just question why it won't chime if it did during the "test" on the install

Thanks for the response.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@54664933073 wrote:

Just question why it won't chime if it did during the "test" on the install

Well, it's either

1. the doorbell not closing the circuit when the doorbell is pressed
  2. a failed powerkit
  3. a failed chime.

If it doesn't chime when you touch the two wires together, then temporarily disconnect the power kit, and try again.

Tutor
Tutor

I followed through on your suggestions. 

1. I touched both wires together and the chime worked
  2. I removed the power kit and re-installed the app and the chime worked when I hit the test button..however the chime transmitter continued to do several short times afterwards
  3. After re-installing the app several times (and I attached the power kit back on the transmitter)the results were always the same. Everything worked including the chime. However, when I place the unit back in the mounting bracket the doorbell wouldn't work and the white light started to flash. The wires are not touching (which might cause a short)
  4. Really perplexed with this issue. I've had the unit for almost a year and had no problem. I have a base station. Should I connect to the base station?
  5. Appreciate your help. Not getting any help from Arlo support except they keep elevating up to higher teams.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@54664933073 wrote:

After re-installing the app several times (and I attached the power kit back on the transmitter)the results were always the same. Everything worked including the chime. However, when I place the unit back in the mounting bracket the doorbell wouldn't work and the white light started to flash. The wires are not touching (which might cause a short)

Do you mean attached the power kit on to the chime???

The white flashing suggests that the doorbell is looking for the wifi network.  Does it ever stop flashing? If/when it does, are you seeing the doorbell as on-line?  Also see if it's in your router's attached device list.

It can be tricky to keep the exposed wires from touching during the install - if you get some thin heat-shrink tubing, you can slip them over the wires to insulate them (using either a hair dryer or a heat gun).

Tutor
Tutor

I have wi-fi connection since I have video / motion detection/ library. For some reason when I insert the unit into the mounting bracket only the chime stops working. If I leave the unit hanging in the open everything works.I still get video / motion detection. Yes I reattached the power kit to the chime transmitter.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@54664933073 wrote:

For some reason when I insert the unit into the mounting bracket only the chime stops working. 

Sounds like it might be wiring.  Though the doorbell is getting power.

Tutor
Tutor

Tried just about everything. Unit works fine until I place it in the mounting bracket then I lose the chime. Question> if I buy the Chime2 do I have to remove the wires from the unit and remove the power kit from the transmitter? Appreciate your assistance.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@54664933073 wrote:

Question> if I buy the Chime2 do I have to remove the wires from the unit and remove the power kit from the transmitter? 

Not sure why you say "transmitter", as there isn't one.  The power kit is wired across the chime, not the transformer.

The AVD1001 needs power, so you cannot remove the wires from the unit.  The power kit should remain installed.

Tutor
Tutor

Thanks. Bought the Chime2. Tired of trying to get the unit to work properly. Has to be some wire issue since the unit has worked for a year with no problem till now. Appreciated all your help with this. Really surprised the Arlo support is so bad

Tutor
Tutor

Actually got the unit to work today. The problem was the wires were too long and were shorting out when the unit was pushed into the mounting bracket. One last question ( I promise!) I purchased the Chime2 and everything works except how to I turn off my traditional chime? When pressing the doorbell the traditional chime sounds and then about a second later the Chime2 sounds off. LOL..I've gone from no chime to too many!!

Again, appreciate all the help you've offered. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You could simply disconnect the wires from your chime. Otherwise, I believe you'd need to remove the doorbell from your account and add it back but choose no traditional chime when prompted.

Tutor
Tutor

thanks

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation