Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

AVD1001-100NAS

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
cajunrc
Aspirant
Aspirant
After installing front doorbell camera, it works. I have a 3 wire transformer in doorbell chime, I went to install 2nd doorbell camera on rear door and called Arlo support to see if I need to connect second power kit to transform, at first the CSR said yes and then put me on hold and came back and said no, so we installed doorbell camera on rear door and got it working. a few minutes later I started getting tamper alerts on both , door cameras , then after a few minutes the rear camera went offline and now it will not power up. Please help me when I get replacement for the read door camera, do I need to connect 2nd power kit to rear terminal on chime transformer and will this allow me to have success in both doorbell cameras.
8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cajunrc wrote:
 do I need to connect 2nd power kit to rear terminal on chime transformer and will this allow me to have success in both doorbell cameras.

Yes.  Each doorbell needs its own power kit. 

cajunrc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Would installing a rear doorbell video without 2nd power kit cause it to fry?  After installation it works for a little while than I start getting tamper alerts on both doors, after a while the rear one goes off line and the alerts continue on the front door.  They quit after about 30 minutes but the rear one is gone.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cajunrc wrote:

Would installing a rear doorbell video without 2nd power kit cause it to fry?  

The chime could misbehave, and the doorbell might not be properly powered.  But I don't think it would damage the doorbell.  I ran one one of mine for some months w/o the power kit, with no damage.

But you might need to reset the doorbell after you install the power kit, and re-add it to your account.

If you don't install the power kit, then some power is running through the chime all the time.  The purpose of the power kit is to divert the power used to keep the doorbell running, so the chime is only powered when the doorbell is pressed.

cajunrc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do you have any reason or idea what made two doorbell cameras to go dead if it was nor because I didn’t have rear power kit installed?  Would it have something to do with the “tamper alerts” I got on both of them?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cajunrc wrote:

Do you have any reason or idea what made two doorbell cameras to go dead if it was nor because I didn’t have rear power kit installed?  Would it have something to do with the “tamper alerts” I got on both of them?

I think the tamper alerts were likely because the doorbells weren't getting enough power (or consistent power). 

I'm wondering if your transformer has failed (or if it is out of spec)?

Does the chime still function (you might need to connect the old doorbell to check)?

What is the transformer rating? (both volts and VA/amps)?

cajunrc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am waiting for electrician to come check transformer and wiring.  I do not want to connect another camera until we know what caused the previous to fail.  Do you have any ideas?

cajunrc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Before returning video doorbell I had someone hook it up again and press reset button.  No power to it, so we left it connected.  After about 30 minutes I started getting tamper alerts on front doorbell camera, this went on for about 30 minutes and then stopped.  I have not been able to get to rear door yet because of my situation with a walker but front unit still working on video but do not hear any audio.  I will post my findings after I am able to go to rear door.

cajunrc
Aspirant
Aspirant

While waiting to receive replacement for 2nd rear doorbell,  we hook it back up to rear door and pushed reset.  It had no power, left it hooked up and after about 30 minutes I started get tamper alerts on front door.  Not being able to get to rear door with walker I just waited.  Then after 25 minutes, the alerts stopped.  I think rear unit powered up and then quit.  Disconnected rear unit and a while later front door camera went offline, disconnected it and checked voltage which was steady 18 volts.  Reconnected it did reset, no power, it has stayed with no power.. any help please..

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation