Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
cjker
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've installed the AVD (wired) as instructed, including the power kit at the existing chime.  Everything works as advertised.  However, my home has two chimes serving the same front doorbell.  Presumably this is so it can be heard throughout the house.  The second chime (the one without a power kit installed), inadvertently fires during the day at random times.  The simple fix would seem to be a second power kit installed at the second chime to eliminate these false signals, but Arlo Support says they CAN NOT and WILL NOT send a second power kit, even if I offered to buy it.  Crazy.  Way to turn a very satisfied customer into a very dissatisfied customer.  Can I be the only customer with a dual chime system? 

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?  I'm happy to live without the second chime, but when I disconnect the wires from it, both chimes stop working.

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cjker wrote:

However, my home has two chimes serving the same front doorbell.  Presumably this is so it can be heard throughout the house.  The second chime (the one without a power kit installed), inadvertently fires during the day at random times.  The simple fix would seem to be a second power kit installed at the second chime to eliminate these false signals,

Actually you should only need one power kit if the chimes are wired in parallel.  I also have two chimes, and both behave properly with one power kit installed.

Did you try moving the power kit to the problem chime, and see if the problem moves?

Also, did you double-check that you didn't accidently set the power kit to bypass mode?

cjker
Aspirant
Aspirant

I believe my chimes are actually wired in Series.  I say this because when I disconnect the wires from the problem chime, both chimes stop working.  I've not tried moving the power kit to the problem chime.  How might I have accidently set kit to bypass mode?  Is there a way to know?  

If they are wired in series, could I simply disconnect the trans and front wires from the problem chime and twist them together, thus eliminating the problem chime from the circuit, but keeping the series in tact?  I don't think this "crosses the wires", but I'm now sure.

Thanks for your help.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cjker wrote:

How might I have accidently set kit to bypass mode?  Is there a way to know?  

There's a switch on the power kit.  If it's in the X position, then you are in bypass mode.

@cjker wrote:

I believe my chimes are actually wired in Series.  I say this because when I disconnect the wires from the problem chime, both chimes stop working. 

If they are wired in series, could I simply disconnect the trans and front wires from the problem chime and twist them together, thus eliminating the problem chime from the circuit 

Yes, if they are in series you can simply bypass the problem chime by twisting those wires together.

But if they are not in series, then this will create a short circuit that could trip your circuit breaker or damage the transformer.  

But your test is the correct one - if disconnecting one chime results in both not working, then that indicates that they are wired in series.

cjker
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation