Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

battery issues with wire free doorbell

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
AEspo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’ve had my wire free doorbell camera for probably about a year, the battery has been getting worse and worse. Now the battery only last less than a week… Charging this thing multiple times a week sometimes. I’ve change the sensitivity and I’ve also set up movement zone or whatever they are called. I only get a couple recordings a day but for some reason this battery does not last more than a week. But annoying having to charge the battery so often. Anything I can do to resolve this issue? I mean I guess I can buy a second battery but I’m thinking about just having it wired. Am I able to run the wireless doorbell wired somehow? Thanks.

I guess the biggest issue is when we go out of town for more than 4-5 days and the battery dies while we are gone.
4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Battery life can be affected by the amount of usage (recording and live viewing) as well as the connection to your router or base/hub, depending on how it's connected. You can wire it to your transformer which would help but based on your battery discharge rate it may not be enough. What happens if you move the doorbell nearer to your router or hub? If it gets better it may indicate a poor signal, whether due to strength and/or quality.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AEspo wrote:
 I’ve also set up movement zone or whatever they are called. 

Activity Zones don't improve battery life - the same amount of video is sent to the cloud, and the cloud then applies the activity zones, and suppresses any out-of-zone recordings.

It would be useful to temporarily disable the activity zones, and then get some idea on how many minutes of video recording you get per day w/o them.  That would provide more details on how much streaming the camera is doing.

AEspo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just went on to delete the activity zone and guess what, I have to charge my battery again this week. Once it’s charged I’ll go back and delete the activity zones and see how fast it’s dies again.
aad7122
Tutor
Tutor

I was having issues with my doorbell battery life as well, it was barely lasting a week after a full charge. Cold weather definitely effects the battery. Contacted support and they had me charge the battery to 100% and set mode to disarm then leave next to router and record where it was at after 24 hours. Well after 24 hours it was at 85% and after 48 hours it was at 76% so obviously something was wrong. Let them know and they are sending me a new battery. Anyways if you are having issues I would try contacting support.  

The battery life was never great but having to recharge after a week just wasn't going to cut it for me.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation