Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wireless vs Wire Free Video Doorbell

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
t_welcome
Star
Star
I currently have the wired video doorbell. Still in box, never installed. When I bought it, that’s all that was available. This was probably 7 months ago. Never installed because where it’s going is under construction.

I just learned that a wireless version is available. That’s what I was searching for when I bought the wired one but it wasn’t out yet.

What is the difference between them? I saw the wireless doesn’t connect to a base. Can I see live video and recordings from the app? I have the Pro 2 base and 4 cameras + the pro 3 floodlight. I can’t see floodlight recordings so I think my 3 month trial ran out. If I remember correctly I could see recordings from the app for the floodlight.

I don’t have an existing chime and the wall it will install on is stone. There is not an existing doorbell or wiring for one, making installation a pain. Would prefer wireless just like the pro 3 floodlight.

Is there any downside to me exchanging the wired version for the wireless version?
4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@t_welcome wrote:

What is the difference between them?

The size is a bit different - the wireless one is thicker, due to the battery.

Functionally, the main difference is that the wireless one doesn't require any power, and the wired one does.  Since the wireless one is always on battery, it doesn't have the foresight feature: https://kb.arlo.com/000062053/How-does-the-Foresight-feature-work-on-my-Arlo-camera

As you already know, the wired one can be paired with a base, or connected to your home wifi.  The wireless one cannot be paired with a base at present,  though Arlo says they are planning to do that (they haven't said when).

Both require a paid subscription for cloud storage and activity zones (as most of the newer cameras do).

Since you don't have a chime, you will need some other way to know if someone is at the door.  One option is to get the Arlo Chime (the Chime 2 doesn't require a base, the older Chime does).

@t_welcome wrote:
 Is there any downside to me exchanging the wired version for the wireless version?

The biggest downside is that you need to charge the wireless one.  Unlike other cameras, the doorbells can't be aimed.  So if it is covering an area with a lot of activity, it will need to be recharged pretty often.  Note that activity zones won't improve the battery life - they supress recordings in the cloud, so the camera is still doing the same amount of streaming.

And as noted above, you would lose foresight.

Of course the upside is that you don't need to get power to the doorbell location.

t_welcome
Star
Star
Thank you. What i don’t understand is why does connecting to a base matter and how does that impact in app viewing? If I can view in the app, why do I care that it can’t connect to the base? Can I get foresight if I plug in the wireless doorbell? Do both work with the chime 2?
t_welcome
Star
Star
I just want to be able to open my app and view recordings as well as live video just like my other cameras. Also prefer not to run wires. Running an AC adapter is fine if I can get foresight.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@t_welcome wrote:
Thank you. What i don’t understand is why does connecting to a base matter and how does that impact in app viewing? If I can view in the app, why do I care that it can’t connect to the base?

The base allows you to add local storage - either as backup, or instead of a paid subscription (if you use a smarthub).  Though there are restrictions on direct access to local storage - it's not as convenient as the subscription.   https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

The base can also make putting all the cameras on the same schedule easier.

@t_welcome wrote:
 Can I get foresight if I plug in the wireless doorbell? 

You can't plug it in.  You charge the battery directly, and the microUSB port isn't accessible when the battery is in the doorbell.

@t_welcome wrote:
 Do both work with the chime 2?

Yes.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation