Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wireless doorbell not recording or notifying alerts since free subscription ended?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Bluebottle1
Aspirant
Aspirant
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bluebottle1 wrote:
 ... our hub happens to be a VMB4000.
How do I go about setting up the path?
Please tell.

Direct Access to local storage requires either a VMB4540 or a VMB5000 - which you don't have.

Options for recordings are:

1. Attach USB storage to the VMB4000 for local recording.  Eject the storage and attach it to a PC for viewing.
  2. Get a Secure subscription for the doorbell ($2.99 USD per month in the US).
  3. Get one of the two smarthubs above, and attach storage to them (USB for the VMB4540, microSD for the VMB5000).  MSRP is $99.99 USD for the VMB4540, but unfortunately they are mostly out of stock.  Some sellers have them, but charge a premium price - for example, I see $199 on Amazon.

While the VMB4540 (or VMB5000) will allow direct access to local storage, there are some caveats:

• Local recordings are only available in the app (not the browser)
  • Local recordings are only available in the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • No manual recordings or snapshots are possible
  • No thumbnails (either in the library or the notifications)
  • Remote access requires router setting changes, which some find difficult.  Also, it won't work with some ISPs (for example, Starlink and T-mobile broadband).

In addition, w/o a subscription you lose smart notifications and activity zones.  They often are needed with the doorbell, since it cannot be aimed.

Personally I think the single camera subscription is the best option (even at MSRP, the payback for option 3 is about 3 years if you only need a subscription for the doorbell).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What field?

Any camera newer than the Pro 2, starting with the Ultra in 2018, require a subscription for cloud recordings. The 3 month free trial is just that - a trial subscription.

Bluebottle1
Aspirant
Aspirant
So we have 2 pro2 cameras and a hub we’ve had for a long time. I recently inserted a as card into the hub. Will this save and alert notifications like the cloud does?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bluebottle1 wrote:
So we have 2 pro2 cameras and a hub we’ve had for a long time. I recently inserted a as card into the hub. Will this save and alert notifications like the cloud does?

What hub model do you have?  There should be a part number label on it, that starts with VMB.

If you have a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000), there is a path to get recordings w/o a subscription.

If you have an older base (VMB4500 or older), then you need a paid subscription for the doorbell.

Bluebottle1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sorry for the delay. I’m glad I checked back in to read your message because our hub happens to be a VMB4000.
Please tell.

Jay
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bluebottle1 wrote:
 ... our hub happens to be a VMB4000.
Please tell.

Direct Access to local storage requires either a VMB4540 or a VMB5000 - which you don't have.

Options for recordings are:

1. Attach USB storage to the VMB4000 for local recording.  Eject the storage and attach it to a PC for viewing.
  2. Get a Secure subscription for the doorbell ($2.99 USD per month in the US).
  3. Get one of the two smarthubs above, and attach storage to them (USB for the VMB4540, microSD for the VMB5000).  MSRP is $99.99 USD for the VMB4540, but unfortunately they are mostly out of stock.  Some sellers have them, but charge a premium price - for example, I see $199 on Amazon.

While the VMB4540 (or VMB5000) will allow direct access to local storage, there are some caveats:

• Local recordings are only available in the app (not the browser)
  • Local recordings are only available in the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • No manual recordings or snapshots are possible
  • No thumbnails (either in the library or the notifications)
  • Remote access requires router setting changes, which some find difficult.  Also, it won't work with some ISPs (for example, Starlink and T-mobile broadband).

In addition, w/o a subscription you lose smart notifications and activity zones.  They often are needed with the doorbell, since it cannot be aimed.

Personally I think the single camera subscription is the best option (even at MSRP, the payback for option 3 is about 3 years if you only need a subscription for the doorbell).

Bluebottle1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks so much for your help. Everything I needed to know.

Great information.

Jay
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation