Video doorbell slow to notify

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I've had the Arlo video doorbell for over a year, but I live in a rural area, so it gets used as a doorbell very rarely. I typically use it to live view and record wildlife.

Recently I've had the doorbell used 3 times. Each time, by the time I answered the doorbell on my phone, the person was long gone. It's takes 30-60 seconds to actually get the notification of a doorbell press, answer the call, and have the camera connect. By that time the person is gone. No one waits at your door for 60 seconds after they press the doorbell. For two of the doorbell presses I was in the house with my phone connected to wifi and received the motion alert before the call.

The doorbell is at the front door, one wall between the doorbell and the Arlo base, and connected to the Arlo base. The video doorbell is 9 feet away from the Arlo base. I have a 300mb up and 300mb down internet connection.

-- Why is the doorbell so slow to notify me and connect?

-- Anything over 5-10 seconds to notify me a doorbell press has happened makes it useless as a video doorbell. How can I speed up the reaction time to be notified that a doorbell press happened?

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tested this yourself? I would start by placing the doorbell indoors for testing and then back out to the door.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Ok so I had been using a Samsung S8, had it since 2017, Android 9, pretty beat up and apps run slow. Some of my apps no longer supported Android 9 so I upgraded. Activated and setup a Samsung S24. Then did some testing.

Press doorbell and it takes about 2 seconds to ring on phone while on wifi and on 4G.

If the phone is in my pocket, few seconds to take it out and answer.

If phone is on my coffee table where it usually is when I'm home, take a few seconds to pick and answer.

Once I tap answer takes 2 seconds or so to connect.

Much faster with this new phone. All in all, about 6-8 seconds with the new phone from button press to connected with app. I'd say the issue was with the old phone. Thanks.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation