Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Rickh25345
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have trolled through these discussions to try and understand why I cannot connnect the Wireless doorbell to the base station as it appears this is in fact an option . 2 x Ultra+ cameras connect ok, but the video doorbell insists on connecting to the 2.4GHz WiFi network, no alternative connection is offered after multiple base unit resets, doorbell resets, device removal, re-onboarding. Tried some of the wilder "fixes" here too to no avail. The cameras connect every time to the base station no problem.

App is on iPhone 8+ ios 14.3    Arlo app version is V2.23  (apparently 3 weeks old according to the app store)

Base station, cameras and video doorbell all updated firmeware on initial start and now advising up to date. To repeat - no alternative is offered/available to connect doorbell to base unit - only offers option for wireless connection. 

Selecting Doorbell in app -> "Connected To" -> shows WiFi and a "Learn More" link  that directs to a WiFi howto.... 😕 The Change Network option is... you guessed it - the 2.4GHz WiFi only

Tried every suggestion in this thread here for instance: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Video-Doorbell/Arlo-Video-Doorbell-won-t-connect-to-VMB5000-smart...

Very frustrating - any assist/suggestions appreciated.

36 REPLIES 36
ML21
Aspirant
Aspirant

-My spec-

Base:  VMB4500r2  firmware 1.16.6.2_3765_e9ee661

Doorbell:  AVD2001Aer1.2 firmware 1.2.1.0_480_2bc45d0_b595c6d

Arlo or any knowledgeable, 

My spec above.

Has there been a update to a firmware (doorbell or base station) to allow doorbell video recording to be saved in the VMB4500r2 base station w/USB installed without subscription?  I saw an another thread that ended in March 2021 that didn't have an Arlo rep statement with yes or no.  So no conclusion.  I would like an Arlo rep to tell us if and when there will be an update to the firmware to allow this function on this base station.  If it is already possible, please post how to get this done step by step.  I like to know if I need to buy another station to make this happen.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo still hasn't released the ability to connect the AVD2001 to a base station, and AFAIK they haven't said exactly which base stations.

Though I'd expect the feature to work with the VMB4000 and VMB4500, as well as the VMB4540 and VMB5000.

To be clear - you would be only be able to see the recordings by ejecting the USB storage and connecting it to a PC.  

lpasquie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I cannot connect my Video Doorbell Wire-Free to VMB4540.

Meanwhile, it seems from the Arlo instruction that this is possible: https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station says

• Compatible with: Arlo Ultra, Ultra 2, Essential wire-free, Pro 4, Pro 3, Pro 3 Floodlight Camera, Pro 2, Pro, Wire-Free, Wired Video Doorbell, and Audio Doorbell.

Can you please clarify if this is working?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lpasquie wrote:

• Compatible with: Arlo Ultra, Ultra 2, Essential wire-free, Pro 4, Pro 3, Pro 3 Floodlight Camera, Pro 2, Pro, Wire-Free, Wired Video Doorbell, and Audio Doorbell.

"Wire-Free" means the original Arlo Wire-Free Camera - not the Wire-Free Doobell. I agree this is confusing.

Right now the AVD2001 cannot be paired with a base.  Arlo has said they will add that feature, but they haven't said when.

lurice0
Aspirant
Aspirant
Connecting AVD2001 to VMB4540 seems to be impossible. I remove the doorbell and re-add it again and again but it never detects the base station. I heard the AVD2001 isn't compatible to the base stations? Help!
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lurice0 wrote:
Connecting AVD2001 to VMB4540 seems to be impossible.

At present, yes.

Arlo says they will add that feature, but hasn't said when.  In the meantime, you'll have to connect it directly to your home wifi.

Copesq
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can the wireless door bell camera be set up through the base station?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Copesq wrote:

Can the wireless door bell camera be set up through the base station?

Not at present.  Arlo says they are planning to add that feature, but haven't said when.

The wired doorbell (AVD1001) can be paired with a base, or connected to your home wifi.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AVD2001 Base Station/SmartHub support is now available with the latest AVD2001 firmware update. Make sure your Arlo Essential Wireless Video Doorbell is using the latest firmware version and you will now be able to sync directly to your Base Station/SmartHub.

Compatible Base Stations/SmartHub models include: VMB4000, VMB4500, VMB4540 and VMB5000

Please note that HomeKit integration is not yet available for AVD2001. Now that Base Station support is available, we plan to add HomeKit integration early next year. Stay tuned for updates.

JamesC

Frankgtx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unable to connect to base station. Only available option is network. All devices firmware up to date. Have removed and reinstalled doorbell twice to no avail. Please advise.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Frankgtx,

Try logging out of the mobile app and log back in, if you still do not have the option to sync to the base station on setup, consider reinstalling the mobile app. Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

Frankgtx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks JC, deleting and reinstalling app worked. Video doorbell is now connected through my hub. I was regretting my purchase since I’m trying to get away from recurring service contract payments. This is a workaround allowing me to get a copy of camera videos.

Discussion stats