Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Rickh25345
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have trolled through these discussions to try and understand why I cannot connnect the Wireless doorbell to the base station as it appears this is in fact an option . 2 x Ultra+ cameras connect ok, but the video doorbell insists on connecting to the 2.4GHz WiFi network, no alternative connection is offered after multiple base unit resets, doorbell resets, device removal, re-onboarding. Tried some of the wilder "fixes" here too to no avail. The cameras connect every time to the base station no problem.

App is on iPhone 8+ ios 14.3    Arlo app version is V2.23  (apparently 3 weeks old according to the app store)

Base station, cameras and video doorbell all updated firmeware on initial start and now advising up to date. To repeat - no alternative is offered/available to connect doorbell to base unit - only offers option for wireless connection. 

Selecting Doorbell in app -> "Connected To" -> shows WiFi and a "Learn More" link  that directs to a WiFi howto.... 😕 The Change Network option is... you guessed it - the 2.4GHz WiFi only

Tried every suggestion in this thread here for instance: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Video-Doorbell/Arlo-Video-Doorbell-won-t-connect-to-VMB5000-smart...

Very frustrating - any assist/suggestions appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AVD2001 Base Station/SmartHub support is now available with the latest AVD2001 firmware update. Make sure your Arlo Essential Wireless Video Doorbell is using the latest firmware version and you will now be able to sync directly to your Base Station/SmartHub.

Compatible Base Stations/SmartHub models include: VMB4000, VMB4500, VMB4540 and VMB5000

Please note that HomeKit integration is not yet available for AVD2001. Now that Base Station support is available, we plan to add HomeKit integration early next year. Stay tuned for updates.

JamesC

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
Lasse1970
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have trouble connecting Video doorbell wire-free(AVD2001) to Base Station VMB4000. It’s working by itself on WiFi but not together with my Base Station and my cameras.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Following the installation directions shouldn't even give you the option to connect to a base since the firmware doesn't support it yet. WiFi only for now.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The wireless doorbell firmware (AVD2001) only supports WiFi at this time. No idea when the ability to connect to a base or hub will show.

Lasse1970
Aspirant
Aspirant
Then I will not be able to connect my Arlo Chime to my doorbell?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not currently.

Rickh25345
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ahhhh, thanks for this jguerdat. Searched again for specifically AVD2001 and found more on this (apologies, should have done that first).  This <current> incompatibility is not obvious to prospective purchasers......

swak
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got the new wireless video doorbell and it won't recognize our base station when setting it up. I've tried removing the device and adding it again four times and have a call into support. At what point when adding the doorbell as a new device should it give me the option to choose the base station?

I see that this was a problem last year with the wired doorbells and was a backend issue. We taped the old doorbell back on the wall so everyone in the house will know when someone rings the doorbell. Not fun realizing it's only on one person's iphone after we drilled holes and screwed in this new video doorbell.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As you've seen, the wireless doorbell currently only connects to your WiFi. A firmware release would be needed to allow it to connect to your hub. Connect to WiFi with the idea that down the road you may be able to change it to connect to your hub.

swak
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the details and quick reply. Arlo Support helped me grant access to others to the new doorbell device, so we're all set for now.

Weetwee
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not able to connect my Arlo wireless doorbell to base station VMB4540r2 for recording. The firmware of the base station is 1.15.5.7_894_a530306. Please advise. Thank you.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Weetwee wrote:
I am not able to connect my Arlo wireless doorbell to base station VMB4540r2 for recording.

The AVD2001 doesn't support that.  Arlo says they are planning to add it, but there is no date attached to that.  So if it's a feature you need now, I suggest exchanging the AVD2001 for the AVD1001 (which can be connected to a base).  The AVD1001 does need power from the doorbell transformer.

Heckler01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I have read similar articles about connecting the doorbell, but it continually connects to the router and not the base station.

I have now deleted it and re-onboarded it 5+ times, I have reset the doorbell twice, turned off the router, updated firmware - all with no success.

What is my next step, please?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Heckler01 wrote:

it continually connects to the router and not the base station.

What is my next step, please?

Which doorbell do you have?

The AVD2001 (Wire-free) doorbell can't connect to your base station.  Arlo says they'd like to add that feature to it, but they don't have any date.

The AVD1001 (Wired) doorbell can connect to the VMB5000.

LPB
Aspirant
Aspirant

I understand that the wire-free doorbell cannot connect to a smart-hub or base station and the wired doorbell model can.  My question is if the wire-free doorbell is wired (that is an option) can it then connect to a smarthub or base station?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LPB wrote:

My question is if the wire-free doorbell is wired (that is an option) can it then connect to a smarthub or base station?

The AVD2001 cannot be paired with a smarthub or a base (no matter how it is installed).

Hopefully that will change, as Arlo has said they are planning to add this feature.

pankajmt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looking to get 

1. Arlo Essential Wire-Free Video Doorbell

2. Arlo Chime V2

And Google Nest Hub v2

Do these 3 work together? I have a 4540 Base Station!

thanks,

pankaj

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pankajmt wrote:

Looking to get 

1. Arlo Essential Wire-Free Video Doorbell

2. Arlo Chime V2

And Google Nest Hub v2

Do these 3 work together? I have a 4540 Base Station!

I don't have a Nest, but there are some posts here from users who do.  Probably you should search the forum for them.

The wire-free doorbell (AVD2001) currently only connects directly to your home WiFi.  Arlo has said they plan to allow it to be connected with your smarthub, but they haven't said when.  The wired doorbell (AVD1001) can connect to either home wifi or the smarthub.

The Chime 2 only connects to your home wifi.

pankajmt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Many thanks for the insights. It feels half hearted effort to bridge with the SmartHub ecosystem. 

Frankgtx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is it possible to connect an Arlo Essential wireless video doorbell to a VMB4000 base station or does one have to connect to WiFi? I’m asking because I want to record doorbell events locally on a USB without paying for a subscription. I’m able to do it with my Essential cameras but the set up for the doorbell only allows a connection to a WiFi network. It sounds like it can be done with the wired doorbell.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Right now only WiFi is possible. Maybe a firmware update will change that but we have no info as to any possible release date.

Raggles
Aspirant
Aspirant

My wireless video doorbell has finished the free trial subscription and I now need to connect it to my base station where my ultra cameras are also connected to, and I have a SD card set up to store recordings.  I've seen the community discussion last year about resetting the doorbell and rebooting the base station but after multiple attempts it's still not connecting and will only connect via wifi. Can you please help?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Raggles wrote:

My wireless video doorbell has finished the free trial subscription and I now need to connect it to my base station where my ultra cameras are also connected to, and I have a SD card set up to store recordings. 

Can't be done with the AVD2001 - it doesn't have the ability to pair with a base station yet.  Arlo has said that they are going to add that feature, but haven't said when.

See item 18 here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062526/Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell-Wire-Free-FAQ

Jtk32485
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can not seem to hook up Arlo wireless doorbell camera to smarthub 4500r2. Anyone have any ideas what I should do? Only option is WiFi upon resetting doorbell camera and restarting.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jtk32485 wrote:
Can not seem to hook up Arlo wireless doorbell camera to smarthub 4500r2

That's because the AVD2001 doesn't support that feature yet.  Arlo says they are going to add it, hopefully that will happen soon.

Discussion stats