Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
denp
Follower
Follower

I have been using the wireless doorbell and spotlight xl camera on my wireless network.  Bought and installed an Ultra SmartHub.  That's online.  Removed the doorbell and camera, re-installed the camera (plus another new spotlight xl VMC 2032) with no issues.  Can not get the wireless doorbell to install again.  It telles me I have to connect to wireless first, to update the firmware, but it won't find it to connect.  Tried a reset...still won't find it to install.  Tried a reset and update on the SmartHub...still won't find the wireless doorbell.  Can not connect the doorbell to wireless network, or the SmartHub.  I don't know what else to try.  

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is your router a normal one or a mesh network? Are the 2.4 and 5 GHZ bands using separate SSIDs or the same one? Can you disable the 5 GHz band temporarily so only the 2.4 GHz band is available?

AverageJoe76
Tutor
Tutor

@denp, I am having the exact same issue except with the VMB4540 SmartHub.  I actually returned the first AVD2001 wire-free doorbell; however, this replacement one is doing the exact same thing.

@jguerdat

I have a Netgear Orbi mesh network and was able to connect the wire-free doorbell to the 2.4GHz network.  It is a pain in the you know what.  You cannot turn off the 5GHz with the recent firmware updates - only dial the 5GHz down to 25%.  So, I have to dial the router down to 25%, turn off all of my satellites, and go to the further corner of my house.  But even after connecting to the 24GHz network successfully, I am not able to switchover to the SmartHub.

I purchase two AVDK2001-111NAS, wire-free video doorbell and chime kits, about two weeks apart while they were on sale.  The first one connected to the VMB4540 SmartHub perfectly.  The one I returned and this new one will not.  Did Arlo change something in their process?  Did Arlo break this process with a recent update?  Is there a maximum number of devices you can connect to a SmartHub?

I have tried reaching out to Arlo Support via chat - they are pretty much useless!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Joe

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry, no experience with connecting to a mesh network which I do see many posts about. @StephenB would be a better source for this issue since he has an Orbi, too.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Sorry, no experience with connecting to a mesh network which I do see many posts about. @StephenB would be a better source for this issue since he has an Orbi, too.

My doorbell is currently connected to a smarthub, but I did have it connected directly to the Orbi wifi in the past (and have other cameras connected to the Orbi wifi now). I've always been able to connect w/o making any changes to the 5 ghz wifi configuration.  But it was quite a while since I changed the doorbell setup.

Is the smarthub showing up in your account?  Also, it is connected to the Orbi ethernet (either the main router or a satellite)?  What is the LED status of the smarthub?

If you have a paid subscription, then I suggest using phone support via the app (instead of chat).

AverageJoe76
Tutor
Tutor

@StephenB and @jguerdat, good morning and thanks for the help!

@StephenB , the SmartHub (VMB4540) is showing up in my account.  I have several Arlo Pro 3 floodlight cameras connected to the SmartHub along with a wired video doorbell.  No trouble with those devices, but curious if there is a maximum number of devices you can connect to a SmartHub.  I have not been able to find any information.  The light on the SmartHub is solid blue and flashes blue during the attempted syncing process.  I have it wired to Orbri CBR40 cable modem/router.

Unfortunately, I do not have a paid subscription.

Again, thanks for the help!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AverageJoe76 wrote:

but curious if there is a maximum number of devices you can connect to a SmartHub.  I have not been able to find any information. 

I haven't seen a strict limit spec'd.  You are limited to 5 simultaneous streams per base.  One of my VMB5000s has 6 cameras connected.

@AverageJoe76 wrote:

I have it wired to Orbri CBR40 cable modem/router.

I'm currently using an Orbi 860 system, but have used RBR40/RBS40s in the past.  I use ethernet backhaul to connect the router to the satellites - which I guess could make a difference.

Have you tried turning off the satellites when you onboard?

AverageJoe76
Tutor
Tutor

Good morning, @StephenB,

Apologies for the delayed response; however, I think I resolved the issue...

Turns out there might be a device limit for the SmartHubs.  On one VMB4540 SmartHub, I have one essential wired video doorbell, seven Pro 3 wireless floodlight cameras (took advantage of Black Friday's half off sale), and one essential wireless video doorbell - nine total.

I ordered a second VMB4540 SmartHub which arrived yesterday and I was able to add an additional essential wireless video doorbell.  So it appears as if nine devices is the magic number!

But back to your question, yes, I would turn off the Orbi satellites while onboarding to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and I also use a wired Ethernet backhall for two of my three satellites.  I actually placed all of my Orbi devices on a TP Link Smart Plug for the ease of powering off the satellites and rebooting the router.  The TP Link Smart Plugs actually store the schedule locally on the device so that it will turn the power back on without a Wi-Fi connection.  I would just set it to turn off for one minute.

Thanks again for your help,

Joe

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have 11 devices connected to my VMB5000 including 2 wireless doorbells. There's no known limit difference between the SmartHub models nor even on the older bases other than you may have performance issues when too many are connected (the old suggestion was no more than 15 per base but then the hubs have newer hardware so may, or may not, support more devices)., 

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation