Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Arlouser8892
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried recording local as well as on the cloud. Tried playing back in Arlo app as well as in iPhone photos native player after downloading. The problem is that the video freezes after 5 seconds but the audio keeps playing. I can also watch the full recording by moving the slider manually. 

12 REPLIES 12
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlouser8892 wrote:

Tried recording local as well as on the cloud. Tried playing back in Arlo app as well as in iPhone photos native player after downloading. The problem is that the video freezes after 5 seconds but the audio keeps playing. I can also watch the full recording by moving the slider manually. 

This generally means that there is some corruption in the recording that caused the video playback to stop.  Often you can skip over the corrupted bit, and resume playback.

1. Does this happen a lot? 
  2. Are you also seeing some recordings with obvious errors/artifacts?
  3. What signal strength are you seeing?
Arlouser8892
Aspirant
Aspirant

1- It happens in all recordings.

2- No. Just this problem.

3- Signal strength is max. The base station is 6 feet away.

Also, rebooted the devices multiple times without any luck. This wasn’t the case a couple of months ago when I was on wifi. But, then I had other problems. Was there a firmware update or something like that?

Arlo is the worst. So unreliable. I waste so much time troubleshooting. One time, the base station just stopped working. I cannot trust this junk and leave home. The only thing a security system supposed to have is reliability and that is the only thing missing with Arlo. They spent all effort on esthetics but the tech is junk. I wish I had returned it in the first 30 days.

AndyWhit
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any update to this problem?  I have just installed a wireless doorbell and have already experienced the same problem after just 2 days. 
Wifi hub signal ok .  Seems if you scroll along time bar you can see more movement but not so in Play mode.

is there a solution please?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hey there, we have had the same problem for about 4 months now! Arlo said there was nothing wrong with the device and after many support tickets that we should remove the battery and reinstall it! we have iPhone as well. after telling them time and time again that it is a software issue they recommended factory resetting the device. this did not work. getting tired of the products from Arlo not working properly.

It's good to see we are not the only ones with the same issue! felt like Arlo did not believe us this was happening.

Arlouser8892
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah, don’t even bother calling them; Arlo’s motto and mission statement is “create products people hate and make it customer’s fault when they call”.
The only thing that needs factory reset is the person at Arlo who is responsible of these problems.

AndyWhit
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have now also been advised to do a factory reset. I am not hopeful. I think the problem is in the playback not the recording so probably software related. The video clips are there but the image freezes and sound continues. usually when I move the cursor along the timeline bar it releases the video. There is a problem somewhere I just wish Arlo would try to help us.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AndyWhit wrote:

I think the problem is in the playback not the recording

Usually not - more often it is that there is some corruption in the recording. This can be caused by a hardware issue in the encoder, loss on the network connection, or a bug in the firmware.

Some decoders handle corruption/loss better than others - by definition a corrupted bitstream isn't compliant, so the standards don't address how to handle them. But freezing the video until they see a new keyframe is a common response.

If you download a free tool called AviDemux, you can load the video into it, and look frame-by-frame. Likely you will see corrupted frames when you reach the point where the video freezes.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I understand that. But the product is not working. I shouldn’t have to download 3rd party software to see where the cutout files are. I have sent the video frames to Arlo to analyse. I have also sent Arlo many descriptions and screen recordings of the issue to no avail. The annoying part is this happens on every recording and I’ve been through all of their steps every time and the problem still is not resolved. I think it’s pretty crappy for a device of that cost that also has a paid subscription and that is less than a year old

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

The annoying part is this happens on every recording and I’ve been through all of their steps every time and the problem still is not resolved. I think it’s pretty crappy for a device of that cost that also has a paid subscription and that is less than a year old

It is under warranty - have you asked for a replacement doorbell?

@Retired_Member wrote:

I understand that.

FWIW, my reply was directed to @AndyWhit

dclayman1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issues.  Seems the pro cameras worked better than the newer 4K.  Doorbell freezes while recording.  So irritating 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlouser8892 wrote:

This is caused by some corruption/loss in the recorded bitstream.  Usually if you see this a lot, you will see other artifacts (video turning gray in the middle of the recording, large chunks of solid green, etc).  Are you seeing those also?

Have you checked your wifi upload speed at the doorbell?  You can do this on your phone (use the free Ookla speedtest app).

Navamuel
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue with my doorbell when connected with the Arlo Base Station, I did a reset and connected it directly to WIFI, no issues since 

link to previous post about the issue with doorbell connected to base station 

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Video-Doorbell-Wire-Free/Video-artifacts-freezing/m-p/1896873#M31...

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation