Long Delay with Doorbell Connecting

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
jonathannen
Follower
Follower

I'm at the point of getting a different brand of doorbell. The Arlo is so slow to be unusable.

I've had the Arlo Wire-Free for over a year and I've persisted - but the delay with this doorbell is just too much. After hitting the button the delay is 10+ seconds and a similar time to answer. Even once connected there is a 4-5 second delay with the video and audio.

I've disabled motion, reduced the video quality (largely to improve the battery life). The signal to my access point is strong.

I'm in Australia and I looked at the network traffic from the device. Much of the initial connection goes to servers in the EU (eu-west-1) and then eventually it connects to a local source. Is that correct? If so that'll introduce a huge delay! Could someone from Arlo comment?

4 REPLIES 4
DerHerzog
Star
Star

I've had mine for two years now and everytime they "fix" it something else breaks. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@jonathannen wrote:

I'm at the point of getting a different brand of doorbell. The Arlo is so slow to be unusable.

I've had the Arlo Wire-Free for over a year and I've persisted - but the delay with this doorbell is just too much. After hitting the button the delay is 10+ seconds and a similar time to answer. Even once connected there is a 4-5 second delay with the video and audio.

I've disabled motion, reduced the video quality (largely to improve the battery life). The signal to my access point is strong.

I'm in Australia and I looked at the network traffic from the device. Much of the initial connection goes to servers in the EU (eu-west-1) and then eventually it connects to a local source. Is that correct? If so that'll introduce a huge delay! Could someone from Arlo comment?

This is an ongoing issue with cloud-based camera systems. I'm in the US and also have servers in the EU (Ireland at last check). We don't know the specific reasons but it would seem to come down to having to contend with the most strict (privacy?) regulations with the EU topping the chart. Nothing we can do about it although I suppose Arlo could use a direct connection for certain operations rather than going through the remote servers.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

@jonathannen wrote:

This is an ongoing issue with cloud-based camera systems. I'm in the US and also have servers in the EU (Ireland at last check). We don't know the specific reasons but it would seem to come down to having to contend with the most strict (privacy?) regulations with the EU topping the chart. Nothing we can do about it although I suppose Arlo could use a direct connection for certain operations rather than going through the remote servers.

FWIW, the delay with Arlo systems is much longer than the network delay between the EU servers and Australia (or the US).

Round Trip Time (RTT) delay between London and Sydney is about 265 ms. This network delay is enough to matter for interactive communications (2 way talk), but not really a concern for notifications.

Tmh46
Initiate
Initiate

Door bell is garbage.  The delay is not due to connection issues or any of the such.  The delay is due to the network architecture of the doorbell.   Quite literally it takes 10 - 15 seconds from the time the doorbell rings until video is available.  This is junk and we will be throwing it away when we move.  I didn’t do good enough research.   Buyer beware!

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation