Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Just bought a SmartHub VMB5000, Video door camera add and performance decreased noticeably

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
putty99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why is it that the Arlo wire-free door camera has dropped in performance and recordings of videos ever since I added the door camera to the SmartHub? When I go back to the door camera on wifi only, the performance is noticeably better. There are no glitches to the recording and when I press live view, it does not look badly pixelated the first view seconds of live viewing? 

Anyone else with the same issue?

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

putty99,

The symptoms you're describing indicate a connectivity issue due to interference. This could be due to the location of the SmartHub. If possible, try relocating the SmartHub so that it is closer to the doorbell, and try to avoid placing it near other high powered sources of WiFi that could be causing interference.

JamesC

putty99
Aspirant
Aspirant
Doesn’t the smart hub need to be connect via Ethernet? Or can it be connected to via Wi-Fi? I have the hub connected to my router which means it’s with 3 feet of the router. What would be the optimal distance if Ethernet is the only option? Or should I buy an Ethernet cable that is longer than the one the smart hub came with?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@putty99 wrote:
Doesn’t the smart hub need to be connect via Ethernet? Or can it be connected to via Wi-Fi? 

The smarthub has to be connected with Ethernet.  It'd be good to try moving the smarthub as far away from the router as the ethernet cable will reach (which would be 5-6 feet if you are using the cable Arlo provided).

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation