Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Tyrson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there

We just bought some Arlo products but struggle connecting the doorbell with our wifi as after scanning the QR code, the doorbell chimes but the app.

Yes we read all the manual, help article and related community entries prior posting this request.

What is the issue: the doorbell setup up to the QR code generation works fine. Once the code is scanned, the doorbell chimes but after a while, the mobile phone states that it can't find/connect any device.

Some background info: the product is new (unused), my phone is connected to a 2.4 GHz wifi, strengths is good, other devices are running without issues (upload stable at about 65MBit). Mobile data and wifi steering is deactivated (so that phone doesn't switch to 5GHz wifi or 4G connection). The SSID and password are correct, case sensitive considered, it works with other devices without issues.

What we tried so far: run through the setup multiple times. The setup failed as well when using another phone. Using the QR code generated by the router instead of the one by the Arlo app results in the same issue. Resetting the doorbell (multiple times) has not helped either. Connecting the Chime 2 worked.

Any ideas?

17 REPLIES 17
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tyrson wrote:

Some background info: the product is new (unused), my phone is connected to a 2.4 GHz wifi, strengths is good, other devices are running without issues (upload stable at about 65MBit). Mobile data and wifi steering is deactivated (so that phone doesn't switch to 5GHz wifi or 4G connection). The SSID and password are correct, case sensitive considered, it works with other devices without issues.

You should also confirm that the network security is set to WPA2 (AES). Might also be worth seeing if the doorbell shows up in the router's device list (likely it does).

One trick you could try is creating a hot spot on the phone that has the same SSID and password as your home wifi, and then turn off the router's wifi. If that lets you onboard, then disable the hotspot and turn the router back on. The doorbell should reconnect to the router wifi.

Tyrson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Forgot to mention, yes, WPA2 enabled and AVD2001 appears on the list of devices.

I'll try the hotspot trick once I'm back home in a few hours and report back.

Tyrson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried the hotspot trick but phone still fails to detect/connect to the doorbell.

charmerritt001
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having a similar issue but I noticed the camera itself seems to be bumping me off the 2.4Ghz network. I've tried it on four different devices and switched the router security as well. The factory reset (and resetting my router and my devices) didn't work for me either. Let me know if you can get anything useful out of support.

Tyrson
Aspirant
Aspirant

So far no news @charmerritt001, will keep you and the community posted on any findings.

Might ask a friend of mine if he could try to get it into his home network as I start to think that this is an issue with the device (video doorbell) simply as I can get the chime into my network without a problem (and could share it with other users/accounts).

LuckBanq
Aspirant
Aspirant

Si dispone de wifi a 2.4 y 5g emitiendo a la vez desactive la red 5g. Conecte su móvil a la de 2.4 y a partir de ahí vuelva a configurar el dispositivo. Una vez ya configurado el dispositivo active de nuevo la red 5g.

charmerritt001
Aspirant
Aspirant

Gracias.  Lo intentaré y veréqué sucede.

islandman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue and arlo support can not fix the issue and the website says no returns because we got it on a package deal what BS

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@islandman

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest anything you have previously performed.

islandman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got it working and not sure what the issue was but maybe i wasnt doing the rest right? Not sure why i needed a reset tho as it was new.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the update, glad to hear it's working. 

charmerritt001
Aspirant
Aspirant

What did you mean by a reset? I tried resetting everything from the doorbell to the router and even reinstalled the app.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@charmerritt001 wrote:

What did you mean by a reset? 

https://kb.arlo.com/000062346/How-do-I-reset-my-Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell

You'd need to check your router documentation for how to reset the router (though personally I don't think that will matter, so I wouldn't).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, too many people think that a reset means rebooting a device. That's never been true, especially with the advent of devices stocked with reset buttons.

islandman
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is a small hole on the backside of the camera. Use a stickpin etc and hold the button in until the white light flashes on the front of the camera/doorbell. Before i just pushed it in, didnt hold it in until the light flashed. 

charmerritt001
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am still having the same issue with my doorbell. I've tried everything suggested by other users and the moderators, would an exchange be out of the question?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not at all. Swap at the store if possible or use Settings, Support to contact support for possible replacement.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation