Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Essential Wireless Video Doorbell Battery Life

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Coopsp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I have had the doorbell since 1st October and now its the 6th of October and the percentage is 18% in one week and the doorbell have beed pushed not even 6 times in that week. Is this what I am to expect if so it will be going back as its false advertising 3-6 months seriously. Can someone help me make the battery last longer.

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Coopsp wrote:

Hi, I have had the doorbell since 1st October and now its the 6th of October and the percentage is 18% in one week and the doorbell have beed pushed not even 6 times in that week

How much recording is the camera doing?   (If you use activity zones, you need to disable them to estimate this).

Coopsp
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have turned the recording off only records when someone rings the bell. And I have no zones set up. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Coopsp wrote:

I have turned the recording off only records when someone rings the bell. And I have no zones set up. 

So no recordings in the library for the past week?

Coopsp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well I have two recordings and both of them are from people ringing the doorbell 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Coopsp wrote:

Well I have two recordings and both of them are from people ringing the doorbell 

Ok.  FWIW, recordings aren't triggered by ringing the doorbell - the camera must have detected motion from the PIR sensor.

Normally excessive power use is either related to wifi signal quality (disconnections and reconnections) or a lot of video activity.  If you are seeing full bars in the app, then it sounds like something unusual is going on.

I think a good next step would be to fully charge up the battery, and then see if this quick power drain happens again.  If it does, then I suggest exchanging the camera with the seller.

Coopsp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok well I have things turned off so not sure why it has recorded twice. The wifi strength is two bars which is pretty good especially when the modem is only about 5 metres away. 
Well I will need to charge tonight and will see how it goes but not happy as swapped a ring doorbell for this one as I was hoping it would be better. 

LKH35
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem with my wire free video doorbell's battery, The battery drains out quick and needs changing the battery every 1-2 months. I hope Arlo will come out some support on Solar panel for the doorbell.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LKH35 wrote:

I have the same problem with my wire free video doorbell's battery, The battery drains out quick and needs changing the battery every 1-2 months.

How many minutes of recording per day are you seeing on the doorbell?  If activity zones are enabled, you need to remove them to estimate this.

@LKH35 wrote:

I hope Arlo will come out some support on Solar panel for the doorbell.

I think they are assuming that in most cases people can connect up a low-voltage transformer that will trickle-charge the battery. (Since in most cases the doorbell is replacing a traditional one that already has the wiring and transformer in place).

Coopsp
Aspirant
Aspirant

The issue is Arlo advertise the battery life but then you have to turn everything off how is that right. They really need to get there act together and sell a product that does what it says it will do. Kinda annoyed as at least the Ring lasted longer than this pathetic doorbell.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation