Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Endless false positive alerts

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
shino_shika
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm very close to returning my Wire-free doorcam. Ever since installing it 3 weeks ago, it sends me endless motion alerts even though there isn't any motion at all. On top of that, sometimes it doesn't catch any actual motion. Today, for example, I've received about 150 alerts in a 12 hour period, most of them 1-5 second videos of nothing. It never picked up on the person who picks up trash nor me leaving and entering with my dog.

I've tried playing with the sensitivity and it's currently at 30% after steadily working my way down from 55%. It's already missing actual movement, so I'm not sure if lowering it more would help. I've rebooted a number of times and have tried removing/reinserting the battery. Firmware is up to date. I've also tried setting the record period to a set amount of time instead of having it run until movement stops. I live in a 3rd floor apartment and my door faces a wall, so there aren't any cars, pedestrians, etc passing by that could trigger anything. Any other ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

You could try moving it into your apartment, and see if the false alarm rate changes.  Another option is to exchange it with the seller, as it might be defective.

Is there a heating duct that nearby?  The motion detection uses passive infrared (PIR) sensors, so changes in air temp could potentially trigger it.

shino_shika
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

Just an update, but I moved the doorbell inside and placed it inside it's box for a few days. I got no alerts so I guess something about the outside environment is bothering it. It happens so randomly and I can't notice any patterns.

There's only a sprinkler and an automatic LED light next to my door right above the doorbell. I'm not sure if those make a difference. The light is on a timer set by my complex and I've gotten alerts both when it's on and off.

Thanks for your help!

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation