Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 18 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

This I have noticed has been a HUGE requested feature throughout Google.

This is the Year 2023!!  With a Firmware update along with updating the App this could be done.  This should be a standard feature.

I have had my Doorbell for over a year and it so annoying having my normal Ringtone on my Android Phone as notification for the Doorbell!!  On my iPad it uses the standard Ringtone for Facetime!!  There is currently no possible way to change it.

Already having to address Arlo Solar Panel problem connected to Arlo 4 Pro (which finally got fixed yesterday by Firmware update), when is Arlo going to address this... If only I knew this annoying feature was there I would of looked elsewhere...

11 REPLIES 11
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ybnice,

You can change this on your iOS device by following the steps listed here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062413/How-do-I-use-a-custom-ringtone-on-my-iOS-device-for-my-Arlo-Video-Door...

JamesC

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC 

I have an Android Phone and and iPad, I DO NOT have an iPhone which is the link you directed me to.  I have an Android Phone and an iPad as I mentioned above.

At the moment there is no way to change it on Android Phone or iPad.  Why is this feature available for iPhone and not Android or iPad?  There are just as many Android Phones out there!! 

The norm is when bringing out a Product you make it available for all devices ie; Google Home is Android and they make it available across the board, even IOS.

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why do I get Emails saying that I got the answer to this problem within and to mark it as resolved.  NO I did not get an answer to fix this problem  The answer was for iPhone NOT Android.  
So this problem still exists ty.

ssspk
Initiate
Initiate

Whilst not an answer for Android devices, that linked information for an iOS device does not work on an iPhone (iOS 16.3) or iPad (iOS 15) anyway.

Following those instructions, to the letter, results in the doorbell ringtone remaining the same as the default setting for the phone and not the selected custom ringtone.

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

How much longer do we have to wait.  Still nothing...

AMDMD
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo, when will you be providing a custom doorbell ringtone option for Android? While you're at it, why not just a notification instead of a call from my doorbell, especially when I'm home? I can see this has been an issue for years. I am just setting up my system, but will be returning it if it's true that Arlo has no intention of resolving this issue. It's one thing to have good cameras, it's an entirely different matter to have a crude security system. Notification customization is a pretty simple feature to program. I look forward to hearing from you regarding this issue.

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

... and still we wait for this simple fix.

Mbinco
Initiate
Initiate

And, apparently as of 10 NOV 2023, STILL WAITING!  Come on, Arlo - get with the game!

AliGeeJay
Aspirant
Aspirant

Model version:  Arlo Essential (AVD2001-100EUS)

Firmware:  4.11.2_2

Reaching out to both  @JamesC and @ShayneS

Is there any progress on this thread?

I feel it is a bit of overkill to have my Alexa notify me of someone at the door, my phones notification of someone at my door AND my phone ringing to tell me there is someone at the door.

Surely there has to be something a technology company can do to allow their customers to decide what notifications they need, especially if they are working from home.  Other video door bell manufacturer's have this ability!

From reading the manual, Silent Mode is not an option as it disables ALL notifications.

Thankfully my doorbell is still within the timeframe where I can return it for a full refund if this function is not on your roadmap for feature updates.

brudo
Initiate
Initiate

I totally agree, it is ridiculous, and especially with the several seconds of delay before that phone call comes, it was always distressing to me until I learned to ignore, that the phone would start ringing just as I was approaching the door to answer the doorbell. Especially the first few times, before I was used to that, and I let the incoming call go to voicemail but then couldn't find it! Was I losing my mind? No, the product designers were. Even after I understood what was going on, it would feel like too many things happening at once, and what if it was someone else calling about something important? Also annoying to fiddle with and cancel the call before I open the door, so that my visitor can have a welcoming experience. At best it delays answering the door and in most cases it means the person answering the door is slightly frazzled and has to apologize for those noises in the background, or if the doorbell annoyingly started prompting for a voicemail in a jarring mechanical voice while I was standing there trying to receive the person warmly.

Eventually I turned off the voicemail antifeature, and wish I could turn off the calls as well and just have the notification. Two-way communication could still be supported if clicking the notification brought up a screen in the app providing a push to talk function. If I could not do that, but could just set my own ringtone for the Arlo calls, at least then I could set a 30 second custom ringtone that makes an initial doorbell-like sound and then gets quieter as it goes. Maybe some people might still prefer the legacy call functionality but it could be made to support either mode.

Of course I know I would be dreaming to even request it, or to have any hope that it would ever be done, as it's very clear that Arlo has no intention of serving its smart home customers and does not understand their needs.

AliGeeJay
Aspirant
Aspirant

As there are zero replies to this query from both  @JamesC and @ShayneS it just goes to prove that either they don't know the answer and can't be bothered to admit this or, if they repesent the company, the company has zero interest in the questions posted by their user-base.

Or maybe it's both possibilites!

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 18 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation