Arlo wire free door bell initial setup.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Urbexwolf
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok so just bought the wire free door bell. Currently trying to set it up. I open the app, “add new device”, then follow the prompts. I’ve entered the SSID EXACTLY. I enter the password exactly as well. The camera picks up the the QR code no bother according to its audio feedback. I press continue on the app and sit both the phone & doorbell in front of the WiFi hub. The apps searches and the doorbell flashes white. Sometimes the doorbell eventually flashes amber a few times then stops flashing all together. Sometimes the app says it can find the device. WiFi hub according to my phone is 2.4GHz.

been through this process multiple times. Even tried to scan the WiFi QR code in place of the one the app gives. That makes the the doorbell instantly start flashing amber then stop. Base station is a VMB4000r3. Apparently it’s got no more updates.
Please tell me it something stupid I’m doing wrong. Was really excited to add this to the rest of the arlo system which has been amazing so far.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Urbexwolf
Aspirant
Aspirant
Good morning. WA the same after I'd given it a charge. So I tried a hard reset and started again. Connected first time.
No to just mount it and play with all the settings.
Thanks for all your help and patience!!
Kind regards

Seán

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Urbexwolf,

The AVD2001 cannot be synced with a base station or smarthub and must be synced directly to your home network. It sounds like this isn't an issue as you're getting the QR code prompt and entering the SSID for your network.

Consider factory resetting the doorbell and then try onboarding again: How do I reset my Arlo Essential Video Doorbell?

JamesC

Urbexwolf
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for getting back to me. That is unfortunate given I was led to believe I can connect to the base station. However as you have said I'm not even getting onto the the WiFi. I've attempted multiple resets but it just never finds it.
Mike__J
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problem. I have attempted maybe 100 times to get the doorbel to synch with my wifi. I have factory reset repeatedly.

I am on a 2.4GHZ network, the password etc is correct of course. When I go to "add new device" on the app, I just get a spinning wheel and eventually it times out. 

Looking at the router settings, the doorbell is actually on the local network, it just can't synch with the app. When I tried using a guest network or a VPN, the app was actually able to locate the doorbell, but the message was "the device is offline".

I can see zero written about this issue in support. obviously I have tried everything in the troubleshooting guide. 

Urbexwolf
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for getting back to me. I was was chatting to someone on the message chat they have on the website. Eventually we tried setting up a hotspot from my phone with my iPad using it as the WiFi. Connected the doorbell tho the hotspot network and it all worked! Got the firmware updated on the bell. And see everything through the app. Deleted it from the app and tried again on the home WiFi. Back to square one.

Have you got any special characters in your WiFi name or password like ‘@‘?

Who’s your provider and hub make? My hub is a Zyxel.

Mike__J
Aspirant
Aspirant

No - no special characters or anything.

I tried with a mobile hotspot but no luck. Then I tried with an old router and a new network and...it worked.

So maybe it doesn't like my router or some settings in the router. it is a Linksys wrt3200.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AVD2001 Base Station/SmartHub support is now available with the latest AVD2001 firmware update. Make sure your Arlo Essential Wireless Video Doorbell is using the latest firmware version and you will now be able to sync directly to your Base Station/SmartHub.

Compatible Base Stations/SmartHub models include: VMB4000, VMB4500, VMB4540 and VMB5000

Please note that HomeKit integration is not yet available for AVD2001. Now that Base Station support is available, we plan to add HomeKit integration early next year. Stay tuned for updates.

JamesC

Urbexwolf
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for this update. So just to confirm I should now be able to connect my wireless doorbell straight to the smart hub instead of relying on the WiFi? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Urbexwolf wrote:

So just to confirm I should now be able to connect my wireless doorbell straight to the smart hub instead of relying on the WiFi? 

Yes.

Urbexwolf
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you confirm this is the update? I’ve asked it to update and it say there are no further updates available.

The bell has been sat in its box for a for a while now so I’m excited to see if I can now use it.

thanks for such a quick reply.

CFDE33F7-5983-4043-8306-29CE50362927.png
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Urbexwolf wrote:

Can you confirm this is the update? I’ve asked it to update and it say there are no further updates available.

Firmware releases are posted in the forum here:  https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

The VMD4000 firmware post is here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Base-Station-VMB4000-1-17-0-0-3953-6ba79e5...

You'll likely also need to update the AVD2001 - onboarding it to wifi first, updating the firmware, and then moving it to the base.

Urbexwolf
Aspirant
Aspirant

Brilliant thanks. When the doorbell is updated via WiFi. Do I reset the doorbell before trying to pair it to the base? Do I try to simply find the doorbell through the base like when pairing a camera?

kind regards 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just remove the doorbell from your account and set it up fresh. As long as everything is up to date (doorbell, base/hub and app) you will be able to choose.

Urbexwolf
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for this, this is the furthest I've got in a while. I've updated the bell via WIFI. I have got past the bit where it checks if the base needs any updates. It's now looking for bell. However when I press the button to start pairing it does about 5 fast flashes then starts to flash very slowly. Sometimes it stops for a few seconds all together. Is this correct? I'm going to leave it on charge tonight incase that's the issue.
Kind regards

Seán
Urbexwolf
Aspirant
Aspirant
Good morning. WA the same after I'd given it a charge. So I tried a hard reset and started again. Connected first time.
No to just mount it and play with all the settings.
Thanks for all your help and patience!!
Kind regards

Seán
Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation