Arlo essential doorbell - cannot connect brand new products

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Wedding1984
Follower
Follower

I purchased a bundle Arlo cameras doorbell and Cameron were free for Christmas cannot get them hooked to my router my router is a 5G I cannot get my Internet provider to set up a guest network for 2.4 G I cannot order the base station because it’s not available don’t know what to do cannot get support from Arlo has anybody had these issues brand new products I cannot hook up

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Routers are virtually never 5 GHz only - there's a 2.4GHz band, too. It's possible that the 2.4 band has been disabled but that wouldn't be normal. Assuming the router is owned by the ISP, I would have them verify that the 2.4 GHz band is active and maybe have them use separate SSIDs for each band.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Even if the router was supplied by your ISP, you almost always have direct access to the settings.  Look for a username/password label on the the router (different from the network name and network password).

@jguerdat wrote:

maybe have them use separate SSIDs for each band.

This often isn't possible with the new router.

One other thing to check - make sure you are selecting the correct models when you add the devices.  The Essential Spotlight is different from the Essential (and if you select the wrong one, the onboarding will fail).  Not sure if that is the case for the Wired Doorbell (AVD1001) and the Wireless Doorbell (AVD2001), but it might be the case with them also.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@StephenB wrote:
@jguerdat wrote:

maybe have them use separate SSIDs for each band.

This often isn't possible with the new router.

I haven't seen this on any new router I've worked with. Maybe mesh networks but standalone routers still allow this, including a new one I'm beta-testing.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:
I haven't seen this on any new router I've worked with. Maybe mesh networks but standalone routers still allow this, including a new one I'm beta-testing.

Orbi is one that doesn't let you use separate SSIDs.  (yes, it is a mesh).

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation