Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo AVD2001 wireless doorbell. I followed all instructions but cannot get a "Success" tone

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
eliyahu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I cannot get a "Success" tone when trying to connect my Arlo to my Verizon router.  My Arlo was working fine, but there was an area-wide electricity failure.  When the electric came back on, Verizon had to reset my router to get it working.  My cell phone has no problem connecting to my home wi-fi network, but when I try (several times now) to connect my Arlo to the network, I cannot get a "Success" tone.  I do not know what else to try.  (And yes, I am on a 2.4 GHz wi-fi network.)

12 REPLIES 12
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@eliyahu wrote:

I cannot get a "Success" tone when trying to connect my Arlo to my Verizon router.  My Arlo was working fine, but there was an area-wide electricity failure.  When the electric came back on, Verizon had to reset my router to get it working.  My cell phone has no problem connecting to my home wi-fi network, but when I try (several times now) to connect my Arlo to the network, I cannot get a "Success" tone.  I do not know what else to try.  (And yes, I am on a 2.4 GHz wi-fi network.)

I am thinking you are talking about scanning the QR code inside the doorbell?

The "success" tone just indicates that the phone camera was able to scan the QR code.  The code is really small - sometimes people have had success in taking a photo of it, and either printing (larger) on a printer, or displaying on a PC screen.  Then scan the photo (or PC display).

eliyahu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Steve.  Unfortunately, neither the Q code on the screen nor a large printed version of the Q code worked.  Any other suggestions?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the doorbell still in the account?  Or did you remove it?

eliyahu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm sorry, I don't understand.  By "in the account," do you mean do I have it snapped into place outside my front door?  I don't.  I have it next to me sitting at my computer, with the battery in and the white circle of lights flashing.  That's how I was able to hold it up to the computer screen with the Q code displayed fairly large.

If you mean, am I signed in to my Arlo account on my cellphone app, the answer is Yes.

eliyahu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I now see, then I open the app on my cell phone, that it says "you are not connected to the internet" at the top of the screen.  Of course, I knew that - that is what I am trying to solve!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@eliyahu wrote:

If you mean, am I signed in to my Arlo account on my cellphone app, the answer is Yes.

I am asking whether the doorbell is still showing up on the device page of the Arlo app.

• If it is showing up there (but is offline) then the doorbell is still in the account.
  • If it is not there, then you must have removed it.
eliyahu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, it is still showing up.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@eliyahu wrote:

Yes, it is still showing up.

That is why you cannot add it again.

I suggest first removing the doorbell from the account.

After that, do a hardware reset using either a bent paperclip or the tool that came with the doorbell.

eliyahu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will try that!

eliyahu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I fully charged the battery, and then, using the enlarged QR code, succeeded in hearing the sound from the Arlo.  But then, when I did the next step, searching for a nearby device, with the Arlo less than one foot from my cellphone, and my cellphone connected to my 2.4 Ghz home network, the phone was unable to find the Arlo.

Furthermore, when I press the big black circle under the "Arlo" name on the device, the circle now stays black, instead of giving me a ring of white flashing lights.  If I remove the battery and reinsert it, and press the button, I get a solid (not flashing) ring of lights for less than a second, which goes dark, and does not come back on when I press the circle a second time. 

I bought the Arlo doorbell in April or May 2021.  It should not be broken in only 2-1/2 years.  Any ideas?  I am intending to write up a very bad review if this does not get resolved.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@eliyahu wrote:

Furthermore, when I press the big black circle under the "Arlo" name on the device, the circle now stays black, instead of giving me a ring of white flashing lights. 

Does a factory reset resolve this?

@eliyahu wrote:

I fully charged the battery, and then, using the enlarged QR code, succeeded in hearing the sound from the Arlo.  But then, when I did the next step, searching for a nearby device, with the Arlo less than one foot from my cellphone, and my cellphone connected to my 2.4 Ghz home network, the phone was unable to find the Arlo

It might be useful to check the attached device list in your router after you hear the chime, and see if the doorbell has sucessfully joined your wifi network.

eliyahu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did a factory reset and reconnected the Arlo to my wi-fi, and believe that now everything is working, thanks so much!

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation