Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video not loading when doorbell pressed

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Hiimjeff
Aspirant
Aspirant

When someone presses the doorbell, I still get the notification and audio feed but the video won't load no matter how I tried to troubleshoot it.  I've tried to reset the doorbell, change the resolution of the doorbell, checked firmware version, delete and then reconnect the camera, tried using phones with different OS, tried using LTE instead of wifi, none of them worked....  Should I just return the product at this point🤣?

8 REPLIES 8
Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I believe whether the video loads or not could depend on the available bandwidth. So, what's your connection speed? Does the video not load when you're accessing the doorbell via WiFi?

Hiimjeff
Aspirant
Aspirant

My network speed is pretty fast,around 500Mbps. The doorbell won't load no matter where I tried to access it 🤣

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hiimjeff wrote:

My network speed is pretty fast,around 500Mbps. 

How about upload speed?

Hiimjeff
Aspirant
Aspirant

10Mb

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hiimjeff wrote:

10Mb

The doorbell requires about 1 mbps of upload bandwidth.  So while that could be an issue if something else is using your internet bandwidth when the doorbell is ringing, that obviously shouldn't be happening all the time.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't think the upload speed is of importance in this particular case; it's the download one.

However, how is the doorbell connected? Is it to the base station? Or is it directly to the router? What's the distance between the two? (Doorbell and either of the two) Could the WiFi signal impact in any way (for example, thick walls, metal parts)?

Have you brought the doorbell closer to the access point and tested then?

Have you reset the doorbell? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Edinburgh_lad1 wrote:

I don't think the upload speed is of importance in this particular case; it's the download one.

The system places an over-the-top SIP (wifi) call when the doorbell is pressed.  The audio and video is routed upstream to the Arlo Cloud, which is placing the call to the phone though a soft PBX. So upload speed definitely matters here. 

Since the problem also happens when the phone is only on LTE, download speed is ruled out as the cause.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Hiimjeff 

I have escalated this for you and someone from Support will be reaching out to you as soon as possible.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation