Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
akathol
Tutor
Tutor

I have spent over three hours today trying to get this $199 video doorbell to work. This is the second doorbell I have purchased from Arlo. The first one was the audio doorbell and that was a pain when I purchased it as well back two years ago. Does any software engineer test the firmware before it goes out to the public or do you expect the public to bring to your attention all the software bugs since you are too lazy to do the back-end work before going to market? It is unnerving to buy an expensive product that does not connect once taken out of the box. I have read online reviews about how this is supposed to be the best video camera on the market at the moment, but yet it shouldn't be this difficult to connect.  The reviews say it connects quickly within 10 minutes. Well, I beg to differ. I was online today with chat and ended up getting disconnected. I also contact technical support in the Philippines today. The guy told me that this doorbell is not compatible with the VMB4000 base station, but yet all the literature I have read and installation instructions say it is. So what gives? Who is correct?

I have rebooted my base station multiple times.

I have performed the factory reset on the back of the video doorbell multiple times and not getting any solid white light on the front.

I have tried to install it using my Wireless Router and the app does not generate a QR Code. It skips this step when looking for the Video Doorbell. I need help or this is getting shipped back.

My hardware VMB4000r3

Firmware: 1.16.5.6_3792_3913242

Says no updates available.

S/N of Video Doorbell: A9730CWA03CD2 

I am using the Arlo App Version 3.2_28350 (Released 4/09/21) on a Samsung 6 (Android) smartphone.

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@akathol wrote:

The guy told me that this doorbell is not compatible with the VMB4000 base station, but yet all the literature I have read and installation instructions say it is.

Support is correct.   You can connect the wired doorbell to either your base or your home wifi.  But the wire-free doorbell can only be connected to your home wifi.   Hopefully they will change that in the future, but for now that is the way it is.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062348/Do-I-need-an-Arlo-base-station-to-use-my-Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell says No, you can't currently connect your Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wire-Free to any Arlo SmartHub or base station.

The user manual for the wire free does talk about connecting an Arlo Chime to a base, but it does not talk about connecting the doorbell itself to a base.  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/images/pdf/Arlov4SupportDocs/ArloVideoDoorbellWire-Free/202-50027-01_Esse...

@akathol wrote:

I have performed the factory reset on the back of the video doorbell multiple times and not getting any solid white light on the front.

How long are you holding down the reset pin?  It needs to be at least 10 seconds.

akathol
Tutor
Tutor

Page 24 of the installation manual says:

"Move your doorbell’s WiFi connection to a direct router connection: You can change your Arlo Video Doorbell’s WiFi connection from a VMB5000, VMB4540, VMB4500, or VMB4000 SmartHub or base station, and connect the doorbell directly to your router’s 2.4 GHz WiFi network."

The above language tells me that I should be able to connect my AVD 2021-100NAS Essential (Wire-Free) Video doorbell to a base station. Why would Arlo do false advertise if the product cannot be connected to a base station? How am I going to be able to view the video camera footage if I cannot see who is at the door without being connected to the base station via the App? Nonetheless, I cannot even get it connected to my personal WiFi network. No QR Code pops up, nothing. 

In addition, I have performed the factory reset and held the button down for one minute according to the tech support and nothing happened. They have escalated my ticket, but I have not heard a word from tech support. They got my money so they are happy. I knew I should have never purchased this video doorbell. It reminds me of the audio doorbell when it first came out. They raved about the reviews, but the tech support wasn't there to support it. Now I upgrade my Arlo doorbell and it's the same ol' song and dance: doesn't pair and connect.

Any solutions?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@akathol wrote:

Page 24 of the installation manual says:

"Move your doorbell’s WiFi connection to a direct router connection: You can change your Arlo Video Doorbell’s WiFi connection from a VMB5000, VMB4540, VMB4500, or VMB4000 SmartHub or base station, and connect the doorbell directly to your router’s 2.4 GHz WiFi network."

The Arlo Esesential Video Doorbell Wired User Manual says that on page 24.  But not the Arlo Video Doorbell Wire-Free User Manual.

Your topic title says you have the Wire-Free.  Is that correct?

akathol
Tutor
Tutor

I have held the reset button for a minute according to the support technician but still does not pair with the base station. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Answer the question - do you have the wire-free doorbell which can't be connected to a base?

akathol
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, on the outside of the box it says "Wire Free". Therefore, I plan to use the provided battery to keep it fully charged.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@akathol wrote:

Yes, on the outside of the box it says "Wire Free". 

Then you can't pair it with the base (and the Wire Free manual doesn't claim that you can). 

Though you should be able to pair it with your home wifi.

akathol
Tutor
Tutor

Problem solved. Tier Level 2 Tech Support informed me that after I had sent her photos of my Android Smart Phone was unable to pair with the Wireless Router because my settings on my Smartphone were too big and I had to go in and adjust the settings on my Smartphone to make the text smaller so that the QR Code could be generated on my Smartphone when going through the Arlo video doorbell setup. Once I made the font size adjustment too small, I was able to get a QR Code generated and was successful in connecting the new Essential Series Video Doorbell to my Arlo app and it works great. However, I am not hearing the chime go off when the doorbell is pressed, but the video camera is working. Now if Arlo could get this to be paired with my VMB 4000 base station that would be great. Thanks to Vanessa Tier 2 Tech Support for helping me with this glitch that I would have never discovered on my own. This troubleshooting glitch needs to be referenced in their online setup within the startup menu so that other individuals are not as frustrated as I was with no end in sight.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation