Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Require2272
Aspirant
Aspirant

According to the device page, the wired video doorbells should charge when the device sleeps. What conditions are required for the device to sleep?

Both of my 2nd gen doorbells have been slowly discharging with no sign of ever recharging themselves over the existing wiring. I even put the whole system into standby mode over a day ago thinking maybe that would put the cameras "to sleep".

I followed the wiring guide and tested my existing doorbell wiring with a multi meter beforehand to ensure I was within the appropriate voltage range (IIRC it was ~18V or so).

So what gives? I was really hoping I wouldn't have to pull these things off the wall all the time to charge them. They're draining much quicker than I anticipated as the geofencing in the arlo app is NOT good.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

After reviewing this with internal teams, we have concluded your doorbell is behaving as expected. When hardwired, the doorbell will receive a gradual trickle charge once the battery drops below 65% and will stop charging at 80%. These thresholds are in place for safety purposes and to preserve the long-term health of the doorbell battery. You can read more about this here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062518/Why-does-my-Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell-Wire-Free-battery-drain-even...

JamesC

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Require2272,

The doorbells should "sleep" when they aren't detecting motion.

Are the doorbells pointed toward a high traffic area?

JamesC

Require2272
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, one is pointed towards my driveway which is the majority of our traffic (coming in and out to go to garage) and the other is pointed towards the street. The street facing doorbell cam doesn't detect passing vehicles as motion, we are set to far back from the road for it to pick up.

The higher traffic camera maybe gets like a dozen or so motion events a day, the front door camera maybe half that.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Require2272 wrote:

The higher traffic camera maybe gets like a dozen or so motion events a day, the front door camera maybe half that.

This is without activity zones?

If you do have activity zones, then disable them for a day or so, and see if the number of motion events is substantially different.

Require2272
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is without activity zones. I only have zones set on the cameras.

Require2272
Aspirant
Aspirant

The side camera has suddenly decided it wants to charge now. The front door camera still is not charging. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it does or doesnt charge.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Require2272,

Thank you for the updated information. I'm currently checking on this with the development team to get additional feedback.

JamesC

Require2272
Aspirant
Aspirant

To update on my comment above where one of them began to charge, it charged for maybe an hour or two and then stopped. As far as I can tell they have not charged again since. They continue to discharge with use and are still not recharging appropriately.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

After reviewing this with internal teams, we have concluded your doorbell is behaving as expected. When hardwired, the doorbell will receive a gradual trickle charge once the battery drops below 65% and will stop charging at 80%. These thresholds are in place for safety purposes and to preserve the long-term health of the doorbell battery. You can read more about this here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062518/Why-does-my-Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell-Wire-Free-battery-drain-even...

JamesC

Require2272
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ah I had missed that KB. Ok I'll keep an eye on things and if they don't charge after getting down below 60% I'll post back.