Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introducing the 2nd generation of the Arlo Video Doorbell, now offered in both 2K and HD options. While you’re away from home, running errands, working, or on vacation, you can count on the Arlo Video Doorbell to let you know what’s happening at your front door.

JamesC_0-1695145778769.png

JamesC_1-1695145778771.png

JamesC_2-1695145778772.png

Protect your door and more. Video Doorbell protects your front door with clear HD 1080P resolution, Night Vision, and Integrated Siren. Respond to visitors with 2-way audio or send a quick reply message.

·        HD Video Doorbell

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        180° field of view

·        Built-in battery with new technology for long life

·        Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Protect your door and more with crystal-clear details. Video Doorbell protects your front door with crystal clear 2K resolution, Night Vision, and Integrated Siren. Respond to visitors with 2-way audio or send a quick reply message.

·        2K Video Doorbell

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        180° field of view

·        Built-in battery with new technology for long life

·        Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Post a reply or visit Arlo Support if you have any additional questions or need more information about the Arlo Video Doorbell - 2nd Generation

Thank you for being part of the Arlo Community!

57 REPLIES 57
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chrijo wrote:

The install is saying the new experience ios app is not compatible with the VMB5000 base.

Something wrong there, as I am using "Feed" with my VMB5000 bases.  I also use the iOS app.

Chrijo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I clicked upgrade and the next screen says verbatim:

Devices on older firmware may not be available until updated and shared devices may not be available until the owner upgrades the app. 

Warnings

HomeBase (VMB5000r4 Firmware 1.19.0.3)

x Not Currently Supported

A firmware ware update not available at this time. Please check back later for firmware availability under Device Settings. 

So does that mean the camera won’t work with the base (which is fine), or that the new app won’t work with the VMB5000 base? I’m running iOS app 4.9.2 updated Oct 20, 2023 on iOS 17.1. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chrijo wrote:

I clicked upgrade and the next screen says verbatim:

Devices on older firmware may not be available until updated and shared devices may not be available until the owner upgrades the app. 

Warnings

HomeBase (VMB5000r4 Firmware 1.19.0.3)

x Not Currently Supported

As the text says, the problem is that VMB5000 firmware isn't up to date.  My smarthubs are running 1.21.10_1431_9611cf3.

Not sure what can be done about that - @JamesC might have some ideas.

Chrijo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Solved. I found a thread that suggested removing the base and adding it back. That forced a firmware updated. I’m now at the newest firmware rev. 

Rob_and_Angie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. Is there any time frame on a firmware update to link the 2nd generation doorbell to my current Arlo smart hub?

Actually, will there ever be an update or is part of the products planned obsolescence? I'm starting to question my original purchase!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rob_and_Angie,

While I don't have a date to share at the moment, we intend to release base station/smarthub compatibility in a future firmware release.

JamesC

mad_matt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does this new one work because the old one is crap I'm on my 2nd one now and seriously thinking about chucking it in the bin! the chime never seems to want to work can't tell you how many deliveries I've missed because of this ! and the video call option is useless and as for customer service how many time they going to ask me to run a internet speed test  🙄 when they finally respond 

mad_matt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does this new one work because the old one is crap I'm on my 2nd one now and seriously thinking about chucking it in the bin! the chime never seems to want to work can't tell you how many deliveries I've missed because of this ! and the video call option is useless and as for customer service how many time they going to ask me to run a internet speed test  🙄 when they finally respond 

Chrijo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had mine for two weeks now, and I’m very happy. My previous SS doorbell started randomly going off all night long and missing actual people. The gen 2 reliably connected to my orbi 750 and catches everyone at the door without falsely dinging all night long. I already rewired my old school doorbell for the SS, and the arlo works seamlessly with it. And I save the now redundant SS service fee. It’s not connected to my Arlo hub, but I didn’t go in with that expectation. Two thumbs up. Couldn’t be happier. 

Maca23
Initiate
Initiate

Hi,

Is there any news on when the gen 2 video doorbell will be available in the uk

Retired_Member
Not applicable

No, the second gen has a different mounting plate.

I would not recommend the second gen at all. Firmware is buggy and live streaming rarely works.

I will be replacing it with my first gen unit that worked fine in the same location for months.

Kammis77
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do I need a subscription to get alerts when I am not at my house and someone rings the door or approaches the door?

Kammis77
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do I need a subscription to get alerts from the doorbell when I am away from home?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kammis77,

While a subscription is not required to receive push notifications for motion detection, features like cloud storage and smart alerts do require a subscription plan. For more information on your options after your trial expires and what features you will have without a subscription plan, take a look here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062312/What-options-will-I-have-when-the-Arlo-trial-ends

JamesC

Familydoe
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased this unit together with a chime 2. Promised future HomeKit support was a big driver for deciding on this system. Please Arlo, I’m happy to wait for a useable HomeKit solution that does not involve further purchase and will allow me to use HomeKit Secure video 🤞

samienis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I just bought 2nd gen and couldn’t connect to my smarthub 4540, when this firmware will be announced? Thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

samienis,

The development team is continuing to work on the compatibility update to allow 2nd generation doorbells to connect to base stations/smarthubs. I do not have a date available for release at this time but will provide an update as soon as I know more.

JamesC

samienis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the info, I hope this hub connection will increase the notifications speed.

one last question, I do mu Best Buy couldn’t change the live view resolution. Even I setup 1080p but when I click live view it says 2k. Is there any solution.

Washington23a
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for sharing this helpful content.

Alexklimaj
Tutor
Tutor

I'm getting horrible audio echo and feedback when I try to talk through my phone and the video doorbell.

Ednam
Initiate
Initiate

I just purchase this item and found out it was not compatible with my base station. So now it no longer compatible with HomeKit. Please fix this issue. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ednam wrote:

I just purchase this item and found out it was not compatible with my base station. So now it no longer compatible with HomeKit. Please fix this issue. 

As announced here and elsewhere, a future firmware update will enable connection to a supported base or hub (the oldest VMB3xxx series aren't supported for new cameras). The original Essential doorbells do connect to a base or hub now.

nikquestions
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Video Door Bell 2, AVD 4001 is not showing in the Arlo App when i try to add the device. It is only showing Arlo Video Door Bell Essentials when i click the video door bell option. Why is this happening? How do I fix it?

samienis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

it happened to me too with ios iPhone in Turkey location.

I found my old good dummy Samsung S20 and install and run the program and doorbell v2 showed up there and completed the setup with my account. 

as soon as I did that iOS updated to new version and showed there too. 

most probably location setting issue, I tired a lot with iOS but didn’t give my credit card info, and change subscriptions . Best and fast way find an android install the program set your account there then it will pick the camera and turn back to iOS phone 🙂

d_r
Initiate
Initiate
Is there any update on the timing of this firmware release that will enable base station connection / HomeKit support? It’s been 6 months since the product was launched.