Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Introducing Arlo Video Doorbell - 2nd Generation

Discussion stats
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introducing the 2nd generation of the Arlo Video Doorbell, now offered in both 2K and HD options. While you’re away from home, running errands, working, or on vacation, you can count on the Arlo Video Doorbell to let you know what’s happening at your front door.

JamesC_0-1695145778769.png

JamesC_1-1695145778771.png

JamesC_2-1695145778772.png

Protect your door and more. Video Doorbell protects your front door with clear HD 1080P resolution, Night Vision, and Integrated Siren. Respond to visitors with 2-way audio or send a quick reply message.

·        HD Video Doorbell

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        180° field of view

·        Built-in battery with new technology for long life

·        Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Protect your door and more with crystal-clear details. Video Doorbell protects your front door with crystal clear 2K resolution, Night Vision, and Integrated Siren. Respond to visitors with 2-way audio or send a quick reply message.

·        2K Video Doorbell

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        180° field of view

·        Built-in battery with new technology for long life

·        Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Post a reply or visit Arlo Support if you have any additional questions or need more information about the Arlo Video Doorbell - 2nd Generation

Thank you for being part of the Arlo Community!

56 REPLIES 56
Archonyx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there!  Is this camera compatible with Apple HomeKit?  Previous Arlo cameras supported HomeKit via a base station, but I see that the 2nd Gen. model does not support base stations.  Does this mean that HomeKit compatibility is baked-in natively?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Like previous Arlo models, these 2nd generation models will need to be connected to a compatible Base Station/SmartHub to integrate with Apple Home. Apple Home integration and Base Station/SmartHub support will not be available for Arlo Video Doorbell 2nd Generation and Arlo Essential 2nd Generation camera models at launch. We expect Apple Home and Base Station/SmartHub support to be made available in a future firmware release. We will make an announcement once support for these features is available after launch.

JamesC

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi @JamesC

Could we please have a specs list for the new doorbells, such as dimensions, connectivity etc etc.

I've just bought a wireless original video doorbell but it's quite bulky for my liking and would like something the size of the audio doorbell. The new doorbells appear to be just the right size.

Thank you. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Edinburgh_lad1 wrote:

Could we please have a specs list for the new doorbells, such as dimensions, connectivity etc etc.

I'm not seeing the datasheet posted on https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/docs yet, but there are dimensions shown here:

The dimensions in the comparison are identical to the AVD2001.  I agree it's rather thick (particularly compared with the AVD1001).

Nothing on connectivity - it would be good to know if these are 2.4 ghz only, or dual band.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks very much @StephenB 

By going to the US website, you can actually see more specs. And it's 2.4GHz. 

So, the only difference appears to be 2k on the new one (VD2), as opposed to HD on the old one (VD), but there's no mention of HDR on the new one. Plus, the the old one (wired version) has motion detection of up to 5m, whereas the new ones only 3m. 

So,  not a big improvement, overall, and if retailers like Amazon or Currys (here in the UK) have reduced prices of the old ones, probably best to get it at a  lower price (and have access to the base station recordings, rather than cloud only on the new one).

Apologies @JamesC for the above, but just an opinion. Untitled.jpg

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Edinburgh_lad1 wrote:

Plus, the the old one (wired version) has motion detection of up to 5m, whereas the new ones only 3m. 

FWIW, longer range motion detection in the doorbell often isn't a good thing, as the camera can't be aimed.

cmsdrums
Initiate
Initiate

Hi @JamesC   Based on the dimensions being exactly the same as the earlier model, could the new 2nd Gen bell be fitted into the bracket which I already have mounted for the 1st Gen wireless model? 

Thanks

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

cmsdrums,

No, the mounting bracket for previous Arlo Video Doorbells is not compatible with Arlo Video Doorbell 2nd Generation.

JamesC

Yves_s
Initiate
Initiate

Hello, are there switch/mounting/wall plates compatible with this new model?

Thanks,

Y.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yves_s,

While there are no additional mounting accessories available, the Arlo Video Doorbell 2nd generation kit includes a compatible wall plate for mounting purposes.

You can read more about this here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062336/How-do-I-use-the-angled-mounting-wedge-that-came-with-my-Arlo-Essentia...

JamesC

Yves_s
Initiate
Initiate

Hi James,

You might have misunderstood me. I'm looking for a wall plate that is large enough to cover the hole left when I remove the old doorbell. Same size as a light switch plate.
Based on the info I gathered, the mounting plate included with the Arlo doorbell wouldn't cover the hole in question. 

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Yves

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suspect Arlo won't have something like this - they don't have it for current doorbells. However, given your comment about a light switch cover, why not use a plastic or metal one of those? You should be able to find blank covers, too.

sdalext70
Tutor
Tutor

Any updates on firmware for Apple HomeKit support? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sdalext70,

HomeKit integration will be made available in a future firmware update. I do not have a release date available at this time.

JamesC

marshallbu
Tutor
Tutor

Would it be beneficial to upgrade to the new video doorbell, as I just bought one some months ago.  Will it alleviate constant videos that look like this?

IMG_8957.jpg

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

marshallbu,

While the 2nd generation Arlo Video Doorbell 2K version does have improved image quality via higher resolution, the example you've provided in your screenshot could be an interference issue.

Try bringing the doorbell close to your base station, temporarily as a test, and see if you still experience the same behavior. You could also try syncing the doorbell directly to your home network instead of the base station to see if that improves the experience.

JamesC

marshallbu
Tutor
Tutor

I've already tried the distance debugging, is there a way to switch to Wifi in settings to remove it from the base station, or do I need to do a hard reset of the device?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

marshallbu,

You will need to remove the doorbell from your account and onboard it again as if it were new and choose to onboard to your home network rather than the base station during the onboarding flow.

JamesC

sdalext70
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you. Appreciate the update.

Annieee
Tutor
Tutor

Are there any products to help secure the door bell.  It just seems too easy to steal - use a paper clip and it is gone in less than 2 seconds. 

Really badly designed.

If nothing available then will be returning this product. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Annieee wrote:

Are there any products to help secure the door bell.  It just seems too easy to steal - use a paper clip and it is gone in less than 2 seconds. 

There are some third-party enclosures out there. No idea how secure they are.

If you get one, make sure you make sure the enclosure is large enough - many are a bit too small for this doorbell.

Maca23
Initiate
Initiate

When is the gen 2 video doorbell available in the uk 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Maca23,

I do not have a date available at this time. Keep an eye on arlo.com for new product announcements and updates on availability.

JamesC

Chrijo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought the gen 2 doorbell and was installing this morning. I’m getting a warning when I go to upgrade the iOS app  it’s saying my VMB5000 is not compatible with the new app experience. I realize the base is not compatible with the doorbell, but that’s not my issue. The install is saying the new experience ios app is not compatible with the VMB5000 base. So, I can’t have a gen 2 doorbell and an existing ultra gen 1 setup without two different iOS devices so I can have two different apps? Or do I have to buy all new cameras just so I can use the new doorbell? It’s $1000 worth of cameras. I have 4 ultras.