Cannot reconnect 2nd Gen Doorbell after trying to add another user

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
MSkar
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried to add my wife's iPhone to my Arlo account so she gets doorbell alerts, too... did not work, uninstalled the app.

Now the doorbell won't reconnect to my Android, where it worked perfectly. The blue light flashes for a few minutes during Pairing before flashing orange and telling me to try Pairing again. I've hard reset many times, cleared the cache, reinstalled the app. 

• Bluetooth is on
  • Devices are held back-to-back for Pairing
  • Camera doesn't appear in iPhone Bluetooth list (removed when Arlo app was installed)
  • Camera does appear in Android Bluetooth (AVD4001) list but trying to Pair in the device settings makes the light flash orange
  • VPN was off

Surely, trying to add another user to an Arlo account can't 'brick' a doorbell?

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MSkar wrote:

I tried to add my wife's iPhone to my Arlo account so she gets doorbell alerts, too... did not work, uninstalled the app.

Likely you did the wrong thing.  The proper way to do this is to have her create her own account, and then use the "Friend" account feature to share the doorbell with her account.

@MSkar wrote:

I uninstalled the app.

Did you remove the doorbell from your account when you did this?

Are you using the same account as you used in the original install?  Or did you create a new one?

MSkar
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Thanks for your reply. My wife did create her own account when the invite from me prompted her to. She was the Friend, I remained the Admin.

To your second point, the doorbell was no longer appearing in my (only) account. After unsuccessfully trying to reconnect it to my device, I reinstalled the app to see if that would help. My three cameras and hub are all there but the camera will not connect.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MSkar wrote:

To your second point, the doorbell was no longer appearing in my (only) account. After unsuccessfully trying to reconnect it to my device, I reinstalled the app to see if that would help. My three cameras and hub are all there but the camera will not connect.

I suggest doing a hard reset of the doorbell next (using the release pin, or a paper clip).

@MSkar wrote:

My wife did create her own account when the invite from me prompted her to. She was the Friend, I remained the Admin.

That shouldn't have affected the doorbell in your account.  Can you give more details on what went wrong?

MSkar
Aspirant
Aspirant

I went through every step Arlo support asked me to over the phone and we had no luck whatsoever.

After removing the doorbell from my wife's account, and then deleting the app from her phone, I returned to my phone and found the doorbell missing. I was still the admin so it should have been there but as I've explained, I have tried every step to hard reset it, reinstall it, do so under Arlo's direction. Not sure what more I can add.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MSkar wrote:

... After removing the doorbell from my wife's account...

The doorbell can only be in the primary account.  So it shouldn't have been possible to add it to your wife's account if it was already in yours.  It was possible to share it, but that doesn't use "add device".

Similarly, remove device should only be possible in the primary account.  You could have revoked the sharing of the camera from your primary account , but that is different.

So there is some mystery here for sure, and obviously something is still messed up.

Is it still possible to exchange the doorbell with the seller?  If not, you could ask for an RMA.  A doorbell with a different serial number might work - I am thinking that somehow the Arlo Cloud is confused, and treating the doorbell as if it were in another account.