Arlo doorbell not recording motion

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BrittanyL6
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had an Arlo doorbell 2nd gen for 2 months now. All of a sudden it has stopped recording for the most part. It will occasionally send me motion alerts but doesn’t record. I have the arlo secure subscription for a year, I have restarted it, I have removed and reconnected it. It will record right after reconnecting but that’s it. It isn’t a WiFi issue, as my backyard camera is the same distance away and is working perfectly. I have also cleared out all the feed. Can anyone help? 

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you bring the doorbell inside for testing does it work better?

BrittanyL6
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bringing it inside, it did record motion a couple times but not everytime. Putting it back outside the white ring will light up when there is motion and send me a notification but does not record. The camera shows all bars for WiFi. Again, we have had this for 2 months now and for the last week this has started to happen. So I can’t see where this is a WiFi issue. My backyard camera only has 2 WiFi bars and works well. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BrittanyL6 wrote:

Putting it back outside the white ring will light up when there is motion and send me a notification but does not record. 

Have you checked that the doorbell is in a subscription plan?

BrittanyL6
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I purchased the cameras I also purchased the arlo secure plan for a year. It is active on both cameras. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Can you make a manual recording while livestreaming the doorbell?

BrittanyL6
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can manually record. It can take awhile to pull up the livestream at times as well. It’s only recorded 4 times today, alerted motion other times with no recording, and at times didn’t detect motion when it should have. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BrittanyL6 wrote:

I can manually record. 

Then there is no subscription issue.

@BrittanyL6 wrote:

It can take awhile to pull up the livestream at times as well.

WiFi speed might be a factor.  Try checking that at the doorbell location with your phone.  Use the free Ookla app ("speedtest").  Turn off mobile data during the test, just to be sure that you are testing the wifi speed.

The critical speed is the upload, not the download.  Run the test a couple of times, and look at both the loss information and the speed.