Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

AVD4001 2k (2nd Gen) wired to existing cables and mechanical chime not charging.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
yowie
Tutor
Tutor

Hi all,

I had a query regarding the AVD4001 (AVD4001-100AUS).

Installed it yesterday with the help of a friend who is an electrician. We wired it using the existing cables to a mechanical chime and all is in working order.

However, the unit itself is not trickle charging. We called up Arlo support who read us what was on his screen and initially said we should see a thunderbolt logo, but later said that for the new model (AVD4001) there was no thunderbolt logo anymore. He also said that some models have the battery drain to 80% before it begins trickle charging, other models will drain to 60% before trickle charging. The battery was at 84% yesterday when we installed it but is now sitting at 78%. I currently have an 8v transformer (tested to be at 8v) which is in the range of 8-24v but the gentleman from arlo support said I may need 10v?

I have read abit if conflicting information but being a new model most of the information relates to the older versions. Hoping for some users who have experience with the AVD4001? Is it not a constant trickle charge? and if not what % does the battery drain to before it will begin recharging?

For reference we installed a Honeywell (friedland) 8v D117 doorbell chime as a direct replacement with an unchanged wiring setup to the old analog doorbell. My friend tested the cables at the doorbell and there was power going to the doorbell so wouldnt think wiring is the issue.

thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@yowie wrote:

He also said that some models have the battery drain to 80% before it begins trickle charging, other models will drain to 60% before trickle charging. The battery was at 84% yesterday when we installed it but is now sitting at 78%. 

Trickle-charging continuously can reduce the battery life.  I suggest waiting longer, and see if the camera trickle-charges when the battery drops further (perhaps below 60).

@yowie wrote:

I currently have an 8v transformer (tested to be at 8v) which is in the range of 8-24v but the gentleman from arlo support said I may need 10v?

The doorbell is spec'd to work at 8 volts, but also needs 10 VA (volt-amperes, not the same as volts).  It is possible that the doorbell isn't getting quite enough power.

Your doorbell is spec'd to work at both 8v and 12v, so you could trying upgrading the transformer.

yowie
Tutor
Tutor

Hi @StephenB,

Agree with what you have put forward.

I did read somewhere else after I posted the query that it will begin trickle charging at 65% to bring it to 80% to protect the battery.

I also had a look at AMP to V to VA calculators and note that the 8v 1.0AMP transformer that I have equals 8VA. In order to get 10VA that requires the 10V transformer with the 1.0AMP being constant. My chime did say 8v only but couldnt find any mention on VA or AMP but if it doesnt trickle charge by 60% i'll look to change the transformer.

I will check back in here either way when we manage to find a solution. Battery currently at 78% so should be able to have an answer in around 3 weeks.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@yowie wrote:

I also had a look at AMP to V to VA calculators and note that the 8v 1.0AMP transformer that I have equals 8VA. In order to get 10VA that requires the 10V transformer with the 1.0AMP being constant. My chime did say 8v only but couldnt find any mention on VA or AMP 

The 1.0 amp is the max output of the transformer.  You can go with 8v and a higher amperage.

What manufacturer/model is the chime?

yowie
Tutor
Tutor

UPDATE

Yesterday afternoon the doorbell was at 77% battery.

In the evening when I had a movement notification, the icons at the bottom right of the image instead of showing the battery icon showed the head of a power plug.

When i checked again a few hours later the battery icon was back and the charge was now 80%.

Therefore I assume that at between 75% < 77% the battery will trickle charge to 80%. I think that's what the doorbell does. I'll keep an eye out in the next few weeks to see if it does this consistently within these ranges. If it deviates from this at all i'll come back here to the forum, if all is well then i'll leave it at this message.

Thanks

TrailPrincess
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for this information.  I'm replacing my Gen 1 wired doorbell with the Gen 2 and was concerned that the camera is showing as wireless in the app when I have it hard wired.  I've tried removing it and reinstalling it 3 times.  After searching and finding your post, I'll keep an eye on it and make sure it starts to recharge when the battery gets below 80%.  Again, thanks for the post!

yowie
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

No worries at all.

I can confirm that after about 3 weeks since installing the Arlo Gen 2 doorbell that my unit is programmed to trickle charge when it falls to around 76% back up to 80%. 

Instead of a thunderbolt logo (which i believe is previous gen), I get a power plug logo. My battery drains a little less than 1% a day (about 10-15 notifications a day including nighttime IR). 

For reference im using an 8V (1.0 amp) transformer at the switchboard and is hooked up to a 8V mechanical doorbell and is the AVD4001 Australian model.

Hope that helps