Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

vmc5040 4k viewing

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Izombie
Tutor
Tutor
I have Arlo Ultras. Do I have to have an extra service to view and record 4K? I have the auto 4k on and it seems like I am only getting 1080.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Izombie,

As mentioned by TomMac, live streaming on the same network will be 4K. Library recordings will show a 4K badge on the thumbnail indicating they are in 4K.

To receive 4K library recordings, you must be subscribed to the premium video recording service. For more information on this, take a look here: What Arlo subscription do I need to record videos with 4K resolution?

JamesC

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

When you are on your phone ( on same network ) viewing live, you will see a "house" icon and 4K shown

Also, Have you checked the mem card?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Izombie,

As mentioned by TomMac, live streaming on the same network will be 4K. Library recordings will show a 4K badge on the thumbnail indicating they are in 4K.

To receive 4K library recordings, you must be subscribed to the premium video recording service. For more information on this, take a look here: What Arlo subscription do I need to record videos with 4K resolution?

JamesC

drb1
Guide
Guide

Hi there,

Can you please asnwer the following:

1. If I am not on the Premium Subscription but do have the Ultra cameras, do I only have 1080 quality footage recorded on the Arlo Cloud?

2. If the above is correct, can I have the system record 1080 on the cloud and at the same time store 4k footage locally on the SmartHUb if I have a mciro SD inserted?

3. Can I also ask whether the SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO UHS-II microSDXC Memory Card works on the SmartHub. It seems to be one of the better ones out there at the moment for 4k recording, but I am happy to be further educated if there are smarter options at simialr pricing.

4. With a card of 128GB, about how much in minutes footage can it store of 4k video?

thankyou for your asssitance.

drb1

n11
Apprentice
Apprentice
With regard to the size of the SD card this is directly from the Ultra user manual. "Your SmartHub accepts micro SD cards, SDHC or SDXC only, with up to 32 GB capacity, file format FAT32. The Arlo app displays a message to let you know if you need to format the SD card. The SmartHub can format the SD card."
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

drb1

1. If you have no subscription, no content will be recorded to the Arlo Cloud from the Ultra camera. You must have an Arlo Smart Premier subscription or better for 1080p content to be stored in the cloud. For 4K content, you will also need the Premium Video Recording (PVR) subscription.

2. 4K content can be stored on the SmartHub even if you do not have an Arlo Smart Premier or better subscription.

3-4 Take a look here for more information on using a microSD card for storage with your Ultra system: How do I record 4K videos to a microSD card?

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@n11 wrote:
With regard to the size of the SD card this is directly from the Ultra user manual. "Your SmartHub accepts micro SD cards, SDHC or SDXC only, with up to 32 GB capacity, file format FAT32. The Arlo app displays a message to let you know if you need to format the SD card. The SmartHub can format the SD card."

I'm using a 128GB card with no issues. Fomatted in the base.

n11
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat wrote:

@n11 wrote:

LOL...so much for the user manual...thanks.
drb1
Guide
Guide

Hi there and thanks for the info.

I actually wanted to know that if I had the Premier subscription service not hte Premium, can 1080 go to the cloud AND the system record 4k on my MicroSD at the same time? ie I have the better quality images as a back up if ever necessary?

thankyou

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@n11 wrote:

@jguerdat wrote:

@n11 wrote:

LOL...so much for the user manual...thanks.

The manual is internally inconsistent. Here's another bit from the one I have for the Ultra:

"Your SmartHub accepts SDHC or SDXC microSD cards. We recommend using
microSD cards with a minimum of 16 GB capacity, Speed Class 10, UHS-!, V10. Arlo
supports up to Class 10 UHS-3 V90."

No mention of an upper limit.

I suspect a copy and paste from an earlier document.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A ticket has been raised to correct this error in the manual. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

JamesC

fredouille
Apprentice
Apprentice

what about AppleTv 4K. can we have pictures in 4K def in our appleTv?

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation