Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Questions before buying Arlo Ultra

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
LucianZ
Guide
Guide

Hi,

I am thinking to buy an Arlo Ultra system but I have some questions before, if somebody could help I would appreciate.

1. If a camera is connected to the socket and the power is interrupted will it continue to operate on the battery? And when the power will come back will charge the battery and continue to operate like before?

2. Is there a solution to extend the Ultra Smarthub coverage if I find that a camera has a connection issue? With a wireless extender maybe?

3. Can use an Arlo Pro 2 camera with Arlo Ultra system?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
1. Yes it continues to be active for clip recording. Continuous recording does not, nor motion zones.
I have mine on smart plugs specifically to cut the charging / cvr at certain times.
2. Others have reported sucess by connecting their base station to an Orbi satellite via RJ45.
I would think of this as less than ideal as it makes the system dependant on 2 wireless links.
If there is no Cat5 to a good central point that gives good signal to all cameras you could probably use an ethernet via powerline adapter set ?
3. Yes Pro2s work fine. If you have a Pro2 base, keep it for a super loud indoor siren.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) Yes and yes.

2) As with all Arlo wireless cameras, the only possible solutions are moving the base to a more central location relative to all cameras or use a second base for optimal placement.

DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
1. Yes it continues to be active for clip recording. Continuous recording does not, nor motion zones.
I have mine on smart plugs specifically to cut the charging / cvr at certain times.
2. Others have reported sucess by connecting their base station to an Orbi satellite via RJ45.
I would think of this as less than ideal as it makes the system dependant on 2 wireless links.
If there is no Cat5 to a good central point that gives good signal to all cameras you could probably use an ethernet via powerline adapter set ?
3. Yes Pro2s work fine. If you have a Pro2 base, keep it for a super loud indoor siren.
LucianZ
Guide
Guide

Thank you for your answers. 

I have the wireless network based on Orbi system (router + 2 sattelits). The issue is if I place the SmartHub to cover the front of the house, probably I will have issues with the wireless signal in the backyard. Maybe in the future Netgear will think to integrate these 2 systems, Orbi & Arlo, in order to extend wireless area of Arlo Ultra SmartHub with help of Orbi sattelits. 

DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
Do you have an estimate of the distance to each camera from hub location ?
How many walls in the way ?
I have my base about 20m from the furthest camera with a double brick wall and a glass door inbetween. Works fine.
There is unlikely to be further integration of the Orbi and Arlo as Netgear and Arlo are now 2 seperate companies.
This would also prevent the user upgrading to new generations of cameras/base without replacing the Orbi too...
In the worst case scenerio, get 2 bases and hang one off the Orbi sat nearest the back yard.
LucianZ
Guide
Guide

If it works for you I hope also for me to be ok. I have around 16 meters, one brick wall (40 cm) and a interior wall (10 cm).

DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
If that 40cm wall is concrete block, the Ultra will probably shift to 2.4GHz mode.
Just a suggestion, have you checked for normal wifi access from that location using the Nethear wifi analytics app ?
It might give you some idea of signal loss by testing with your normal wifi.
If that doesnt do well, Arlo wont.
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation