Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Good morning all, unfortunately I am also starting to have issues again. The issue is not happening all the time but it has started around December 26 for me.  I won't receive any smart notifications from motion triggered within our activity zones where it normally works completely fine. Example, on December 26 an Amazon delivery person walked down my driveway to put a package at my backdoor but I did not receive any smart notifications from the driveway camera when they were walking down the driveway to deliver it or when they left (I should have received two person notifications).  On a second example, last night someone came to our front door where we always receive a person smart notification from our front yard camera did not receive any smart notification or no recording in the library.

I have opened case #41359733 today, emailed Mark from L3 Arlo support who helped me a few weeks ago with beta testing the new base station and camera firmware and tweeted a direct message to the Arlo CEO Mark a well all this morning in hopes of raising awareness to resolve sooner than later.

Lastly, I believe more Arlo camera owners out there are having issues but just are not noticing it because it is sporadic for me.  So if Arlo owners are not paying 100% attention they may not notice they are not receiving all the notifications and recordings missing from the libraries.  Lastly, I believe I read someone else posted on this forum their issues started occurring on December 25 and they stopped receiving all notifications and nothing is being recorded in their library :(.

@JamesC could you please make sure your connections at Arlo are aware please.

thank you all,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Backend changes have been released to address an issue some users were experiencing the resulted in missing notifications and library recordings. We believe these fixes have addressed the issue, if you're still experiencing this behavior, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

View solution in original post

175 REPLIES 175
jenbecksmith
Aspirant
Aspirant
I too have one of my cameras not sending notifications At all and hasn’t since 12/26 or sooner. My second camera is working fine.
SAM21
Apprentice
Apprentice

I too have noticed sporadic notifications. Sometimes the until doesn’t since any notification or records to the library. I just had been waiting for the end of the year to see unit/system get updated. If these problems continue than I would look to see if anyone wants to buy my system. 

Based on the other comments - Is Arlo planning to release a new smart hub?

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
One time on one day it’s one camera.

One time on the next day it’s my other camera.
Mark-V
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the detailed information on this issue. I have opened a ticket for this issue, and will provide additional information once we are able. I will also follow up with a few of you via PM with some additional questions.

-MarkV

jenbecksmith
Aspirant
Aspirant
I took out my battery and re inserted and after about 5-10 min it started working. I put back up on mount will let y’all know if co but he’s to notify. Thanks
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I also had the mailman come this morning no Cloud recording. My wife pulled out of the driveway no Cloud recording. When I check the SD card the recordings are there .the cloud did not pickup motion
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
@Mark-V @JamesC

Same issue as others noted here. It is happening on my Ultra cameras still sporadically.

Also - it seems to be happening on my Arlo Video Doorbell..... although I’m not positive and will report back after further testing.

I do not, however, appear to be having this issue with my Pro 2 cameras that are synced with my VMB4000 base (I have the newer experimental firmware on the VMB4000, and the experimental firmware on my Pro 2 cameras). It seems to only be the Ultras and my VMB5000 base.
Jack057
Star
Star

Not sure what is going on but as of around noon today none of my cameras are picking up motion or recording anything. I can go on the app and view all the camera but I don't understand why none of them seem to be picking up motion or recording

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

I'd also like to add my name to the list of people who have recently started having intermittent problems. I've posted in a similar thread yesterday and also back in August about how I know the cameras/detection/wifi/base_station/zones/smart_detection are working but no video in the cloud library. This is exactly the same problem again.

This problem has come so soon after the recent base and camera updates that it's probably fair to say they've caused it. I've had several months of confidence in detection and subsequent videos in the cloud library but to regress to this problem is really disappointing, particularly over the holiday season when people are away from their homes and expecting arlo to keep an eye on things.

My suspicion is the robustness with which the base station communicates with the cloud servers. Whether this is the availability of the cloud servers directly or something in the internetworking path to them, I don't know but it's something Arlo needs to permanently fix in the base station code as the internet and cloud are ALWAYS going to have availability/slowness problems. Perhaps utilising an SDCard if it's installed to store and forward videos might be an option but connectivity robustness is the key. If you solve this, I'm 99% sure most of your "Arlo not working because I've got no videos" community posts will go away.

Also, here's another idea Arlo: how about you include an option to make updates voluntary and manual so people can install them themselves but definitely at least make them revertible.

Cheers

Pjama

Dan29
Guide
Guide
Same with mine
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Well I wasn't having this issue until this afternoon when I went ahead and downloaded the 12/24 app update to my android and now most of my cameras are not sending to the cloud and so no notifications.  This started literally within 10 minutes of downloading the app.  Family came passing 3 cameras and they worked fine, I downloaded the app while they were here and when they left shortly ( 2 people and a vehicle ) past the same 3 cameras, not a one worked and only one has sent to the cloud with notification since.  All of them are on SD but that doesn't get me a notification.  Can Arlo not do anything without screwing things up.  After almost a year of this **bleep** I'm ready to throw them in the friggin garbage before I have to go on meds.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I should have added, this is the first time ever my wife's iphone has failed to work so it'snot just the android that went **bleep** up

FrankM1149
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm getting no alerts from any of my Arlo Ultra devices.  Last alert was received on December 26th at 2:43 PM EST.  Currently running VMB5000 Base Station firmware 1.15.0.4_297_aa40f04 and Ultra Camera firmware 1.070.50.205_0c7c8e1.  No updates are available for either firmware version.  Anyone else on these firmware versions?

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Happening to me today also base Station is the 5000
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Same here........no motion detection since last night, this morning walked right up to camera (almost 20’ distance) and motion was detected just as I reached the camera.

This is becoming a little too ridiculous now, what is going on with these cameras, I read about very same issues with almost all the models. Feels like someone has been tinkering with firmware testing again.

JamSam
Apprentice
Apprentice
My Porch camera hasn’t recorded motion for 14 hours despite several obvious events. Now it won’t respond to manual connection even though device utilities work just fine (no connection issue, updates image if I try to set up activity zone). This is absolutely insane. I have rebooted, updated, removed/reinstalled these Ultras so many times over the last 11 months while my only remaining Ring camera has required ZERO maintenance.

@JamesC what are my options here? I am ready to move on from this system but am not ready to accept a $1000 hit for a defective product still under warranty.
mike_guy
Guide
Guide

Glad I am not the only one (well, I'm not glad - I would rather it were just working!). 

I posted https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/Arlo-Ultra-New-Owner-Issues/m-p/1748874 earlier this evening. Maybe just some backend issues (bad timing over xmas) which will be resolved soon and just bad timing in terms of having just bought it.

I've spent all evening pulling my hair out and testing disabling smart features altogether (which briefly worked, then all notifications stopped completely). I'm about ready to just send them back to Amazon but don't want to give up on them just yet as the hardware and mic is actually pretty good (shame about the speaker setup).

Here is to hoping it is sorted soon!

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I did that get the motion on my SD card it's just not coming through the cloud
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

No it's not an over Christmas thing, I've had mine 11 1/2 months going back before they had to pull them from the shelves, it's a never ending thing.  What's needed is a class action to reimburse those that are fed up, it's been done for other products and many states have lemon laws for it.  Add to that, now that the free year is up only 5 not ten cameras are covered, can you say money grab.

mike_guy
Guide
Guide

Thanks. Decision made - these are going back.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
This is happening with my brand new Arlo Video Doorbell as well..... missing notifications... missing videos in the cloud recording - obvious motion trigger events that show the motion sensor indicator picking up motion on all devices - then no recordings or notifications.

The Ultra cameras on the latest firmware with the VMB5000 base, and the Arlo Video Doorbell all doing this.....

However I’m not having this particular problem with the Pro 2’s on the VMB4000 base with experimental firmware on the cameras and base station. This is NOT the current firmware but experimental. Those firmwares are working great except the sound is severely distorted at times (I have videos ready to provide on this)....

@JamesC @Arlo_Alex can we pleaseeeee get some attention on this one.... have someone message me - Im happy to test firmware fixing this if it’s not on the network/backend of Arlo..... I still have a feeling it is as it worked fine when I was trialing the firmware before it rolled out the the masses - and it was fine for several days after mass release. This all started at Christmas.
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi MJbeuke, I was trial testing the base station and camera firmware as well for my 2 ultra cams and ultra base station since December 16.  For me, that means it worked flawlessly for 10 days and then these issues starting occurring for me on December 26.  I feel like it is a back end Arlo issue since they did not update camera or base station firmware since then.

good luck to us!

FYI I have been working with Mark V (Arlo L3 support employee since yesterday) so there is visibility.  I also direct messaged the Arlo CEO Mark yesterday as well and he responded.  So I am giving them the time they need now to look into this,

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
@n1976jmk thanks for the update and good to hear someone else is thorough in their diagnostics and working with Arlo on these things.

The same thing is happening with my AVD too - again leading me to believe its on the backend processing.
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Mjbeuke yes, I like being part of the solution,.

On December 26 at 634PM EST I had a delivery by Amazon where they walked down my driveway to deliver the package to the backdoor.

That was the first time I noticed I had not received any notifications and there were no recordings in my library for this event.  I should have received two notifications (what I normally do) once when they were walking down my driveway to deliver to my back door and a second notification when they were leaving and walking up my driveway back to the sidewalk/street.

When I reviewed my CVR tonight for my two cameras I noticed I had a large playback gap on December 26 from 6pm to 12am on December 27 unfortunately.  I was trying to confirm to see the Amazon person on our driveway (I sent all this info and screenshots to Mark V as well),.