Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 19 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
jackw007
Star
Star
I just added two Arlo Ultra cameras, signed up for Premium Video, but I can't play any videos in my library from those cameras in any of my browsers. I can play the videos in the app on my phone, but from my browser I get a message that tells me that they won't play and I have to download them. It's not like the browsers won't support 4K. Is there a solution to this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jackw007
Star
Star

Well, there you go.  I paid $.99 to install the HEVC extension and now it's working.

What is so frickin' hard about Arlo adding - either in a FAQ or in the error message - details about what's necessary to play the videos?  There are three major browsers for PCs on the market, and one more for Apple users (no idea whether that just works or not).  Is it that incredibly difficult for Arlo to identify a solution for the problem?

Thank you LandJS for your help.  I spent loads of time online trying to find out why 4K wouldn't play in Edge and didn't find any reference to HEVC in the results, so I wouldn't have found it without your help.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jackw007,

Most browsers will not support 4K video playback. To view content on your PC, we recommend downloading a player that will play 4K content, such as VLC Player.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think Edge may have limited viewing capabilities for 4K but haven't tried it myself.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062189/Which-devices-are-supported-for-HEVC-4K-playback

jackw007
Star
Star

I now have installed a 4K graphics card, and have a 4K monitor.  I have 4K support enabled in both Chrome and Edge.  I play 4K video from other sites with no problem in the browser.

What is the issue with my.arlo.com not playing 4K?  It is absolutely ridiculous to direct the user to download the video because you don't support playback in the browser.  What is this, 1997?

What is the point of getting a 4k camera if you can't play the 4K video.  The Ultra system has been one problem after another, one incompatible configuration after another.  

Is this going to be fixed?  There is a reason that I want to view 4K video in my browser (large screen) rather than a mobile app.  Are you going to fix this?

And here's the most ridiculous thing - the camera streams just fine in the browswer when I choose to view live.

If you're not going to fix this you need to display massive disclaimers to potential users to let them know that the only way they'll be able to view video recordings from a 4K camera is on a mobile app.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

It's not just 4K.  Until today I have never had a problem watching in my library but as of today I am told I must download it to watch a video.  Something obviously changed

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Not only does it tell me I must download it even though it's not 4K, when I click download it tells me it can'tplay it. So let's try using google instead, sure enough it all works, it's just a pain having to click on allow adobe flash in google every time anymore.  Microsoft must have changed something in explorer in the last update that won't work with the Arlo library anymore.  It just started not working today.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

4K recordings play fine here in Edge.

As  to other browsers, nothing.

Is Arlo still, faffing around with Flash?Every time I launch Arlo in Edge it complains about Flash.

Arlo/Netgear always seems to be late to switch to newer ways of doing things. Time to move into the 21st century.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

fixed mine by redoing edge and a restart so it was a microsoft not arlo thing.

jackw007
Star
Star

How did you redo Edge?  I've done a search on enabling 4K, have changed everything that I can find and restarted both the computer and the browser.

4K plays fine in YouTube by the way, but I'm still getting the message that I have to download the clips to view them.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Do you have this version?

Microsoft Edge 44.17763.1.0

That's what works here.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jackw007
Star
Star

Microsoft Edge 44.17763.1.0

Microsoft EdgeHTML 18.17763

And again, 4K plays fine on YouTube in either browser.  I still get the message from Arlo that the browser won't play the recordings.

So it appears that 4K is enabled in both browsers, but for some reason Arlo won't play the recordings for me in the browser.

Is there an Arlo setting to fix that?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

jduerdat, thanks for the link as it was informative, not sure the lead statement was needed.  One user stated they were able to view in edge so not sure this link answers jackw007 question.  As I stated in my comment "it wasn't just 4K users getting this message".  I suddenly started getting the same message and I don't have the 4K plan.  jack007, by redo I meant go online and run trouble shooters and make the suggested changes to settings.  Followed by a reboot everything again works in edge.  Microsoft has always had issues with updates causing things to quit working and since Chrome was working the issue had to be Edge.  I believe James had commented earlier to your post on what was needed to view in 4K.

jackw007
Star
Star

Maybe there's a point that is somehow not being read here.

I can play 4K videos on youtube.com in my Edge browser. 

Arlo tells me that the videos will not play in the very same browser.

The issue is NOT Edge.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

actually that would not be unusual.  You have always had to have more than one player to watch everything out there.  It's dependant on the format used to produce the video.  What works for youtube may not work for arlo 4K unless Arlo used the same format in producing it.  Just as some apple things won't work on android or apple computer stuff won't work on Windows.  You would have to look at the program you use for youtube and see if it is capable of what is shown in the link jg posted.  My thought would be if the phone app works for 4K, why not the other app, however even the phone app is only when connected to your own wifi for live 4K.  At least anyone paying for 4K recording should be given whatever is needed to view it on any modern device,  Why pay otherwise.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

A little research finds that Microsoft dropped the support for HEVC but after many complaints it was added back to the Fall creator update for those that got that.  For those that didn't, HEVC can be found at the Microsoft store.  Also the VLC James mentioned can be found there both as an extension to Edge or a player for the computer if you also wish to do DVDs an such.  What I can't do is test them because I don't have the 4K subscription but HEVC appears to be what Arlo uses.  Hope this helps.

jackw007
Star
Star

Well, there you go.  I paid $.99 to install the HEVC extension and now it's working.

What is so frickin' hard about Arlo adding - either in a FAQ or in the error message - details about what's necessary to play the videos?  There are three major browsers for PCs on the market, and one more for Apple users (no idea whether that just works or not).  Is it that incredibly difficult for Arlo to identify a solution for the problem?

Thank you LandJS for your help.  I spent loads of time online trying to find out why 4K wouldn't play in Edge and didn't find any reference to HEVC in the results, so I wouldn't have found it without your help.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Glad to hear it worked out, now if I could just figure out the lotto lol.  You do have to wonder why Arlo would choose a format major browsers aren't making a standard part of their product or at least add the info.to their links, someone paying for 4K isn't going to mind .99

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@LandJS wrote:

.... a format major browsers aren't making a standard part of their product or at least add the info.to their links, someone paying for 4K isn't going to mind .99

Forgive me,  but that reads like  random work generator. Can someone translate that into English?

Just another user
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

OK, if as James said most browsers don't work with Arlo 4k viewing without adding something (Ibelieve he said VLC) is correct and it's known that Microsoft doesn't support HEVC unless you add it youself and considers as they say, their programs handle most videoes fine which I have never found to be true, why would Arlo not encode with something known to work in at least the 3 most popular browsers or in their list of how to view point to how to make them work.  A .99 extension from the microsoft store fixed the issue, did it not.

jackw007
Star
Star

Yes, a $.99 extension fixed it.

And it's really irritating that Arlo's response was "most browsers don't work, we recommend download".  I can't believe that anyone would find that an acceptable response or solution.

cpagel
Initiate
Initiate

Can you post a link to the HEVC extension for Chrome. The one I found doing a google search doesn't work.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Quite a few users haven't had the best luck with HEVC on Google Chrome but have done well with VLC which handles HEVC in Chrome.  You can get it at the google play store.

jackw007
Star
Star
I downloaded the extension for Edge from Microsoft's app store. Once Edge was working I didn't worry about Chrome, so not sure what works for that.
cpagel
Initiate
Initiate

Sorry I was not clear, I was looking for a Windows desktop Chrome browser solution for playing 4K videos. I agree with what others have posted; it seems strange that I can play 4K youtube in Chrome desktop but not play Arlo 4K in Chrome.

I found an HEVC extension for Chrome but it does not seem to work. I could not find a VLC extension but did install the Android app. Not really needed though as the Arlo app in Android seems to play 4K without modification.

My wife has a Mac, will try to see if she can seem them in Safari, the link provided by Arlo seems to indicate it might be supported as it does for Edge.
Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 19 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation