Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Videos Not Available on Base Station

maharrm
Tutor
Tutor

I recently started to experience the error, “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check connection settings.” when trying to access locally stored videos in the Library (I have a VMB5000r5 base station recording to a microSD card). 

I have previously been able to access videos with Port Forwarding enabled and also without Port Forwarding when connected to my home network. 

I have again disabled Port Forwarding and am connected on my home network, but still receive the same error.

i can see from the storage setting info that my microSD card appears to be saving videos as the amount of space used is increasing.

Anyone else experiencing this error recently? Thanks. 

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the feedback, the development team is investing these reports and I will be updating the thread with more information as soon as I receive it. 

183 REPLIES 183
gbweir
Guide
Guide

Since the software update version 4.14 on 30/05/24 the cameras have not been recording to the base station. Cameras are working just not recording.

Done all the usual checks ie reset, delete & reinstall etc

Before update everything was fine.

Pauld33
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same problem here. Reconfirmed all the port forwarding info on my router, it’s all correct. But it’s not connecting.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And to be sure, the IP address is still correct, what's in the router's port forwarding setup as well as the actual IP address? Setting the router's DHCP config to ensure the hub always get the same address is a useful step.

Also, is this on iOS or Android?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming you mean the app updated, I only see v4.13, not 4.14. I'm on 4.13 which is also shown here:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Firmware-Release-Table/m-p/1920885#M791

Wandidj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, the IP address is still correct, I have reserved the IP in the routers DHCP so I always get the same address.  I am using iOS, my app is version 4.14.  I have confirmed the port is open using canyouseeme.org, both locations.

emeraldnutmeg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Status says Ready.
I safely removed the usb drive from the smarthub. I put it on a laptop to see what files were in it. There are recorded files that are current which shows the smarthub is recording to the local storage. I don't have a plan, fyi. My goal is to be able to access them via the phone app when connected to the local wifi. Since this app update in early May, I've been unable to access these recordings.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@emeraldnutmeg wrote:

I safely removed the usb drive from the smarthub. I put it on a laptop to see what files were in it. There are recorded files that are current which shows the smarthub is recording to the local storage. I don't have a plan, fyi. My goal is to be able to access them via the phone app when connected to the local wifi. Since this app update in early May, I've been unable to access these recordings.

Do you see "Feed" and Dashboard" in your app?  Or do you see "Library" instead?

emeraldnutmeg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dashboard and Feed on the home screen of the app.  Under Devices, the hub illustration is grey which to my understanding means not connected. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@emeraldnutmeg wrote:

Under Devices, the hub illustration is grey which to my understanding means not connected. 

What happens when you press it?

Mine has a grey tile with white graphics, but I can select it and see local recordings.

emeraldnutmeg
Aspirant
Aspirant

It takes me to Device Settings where I can then go to Storage Settings where I have Record Locally activated.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@emeraldnutmeg wrote:

It takes me to Device Settings where I can then go to Storage Settings where I have Record Locally activated.

And you can see your recordings there?

emeraldnutmeg
Aspirant
Aspirant

If I could see my recordings, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@emeraldnutmeg wrote:

If I could see my recordings, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Many people who recently shifted to "Feed" don't know how to access their recordings with the new interface.  I just wanted to make sure that you aren't one of them.  Your previous post was open to interpretation, it could have meant that your issue was now resolved.

FWIW, I do have local storage set up on my two VMB5000 bases, and I am seeing those recordings on the storage settings page.

I guess you could remove the cameras and base from your account, do a hardware reset on everything, and then add them back.  It is a PITA though, and no guarantees it would solve the problem.

gbweir
Guide
Guide

I'm in Australia and the app updated to V14.4 on 30/05/24. The cameras have not recorded to the base station since.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the base station and cameras with no result. I had no subscription before this.

The cameras work fine. They just don't record locally to the base station since the app update.

The base station is a VMB 4540

cammerz
Guide
Guide

I have a pro 3 floodlight camera connected to the base station and have had port forwarding enabled so I can view locally stored clips when I'm away from the wifi signal. I recently "upgraded" the app to the new interface and now I'm told the port forwarding status is "not available".

I've tried reconfiguring the port forwarding with no luck. I've checked the ports are open using an online checker and they are. It's just the app telling me the status is "not available" and I'm not able to view the locally stored clips.

Any help?

tanakma5
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had port forwarding set up so I could view locally saved clips from my base station while away from the wifi signal. I recently updated the app when prompted in the app to “upgrade” and now the status of port forwarding just says “not available”.

I’ve tried setting up the port forwarding again but it still says not available.

Anyone got any ideas?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

iOS or Android? What phone and OS?

cammerz
Guide
Guide

iPhone 13 Pro iOS 17.5.1. I had the same iOS version with the previous app and it was all working fine 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm going to guess this is on iOS - is that correct? Are you involved with field trials or just a normal user? Have you checked your drive on a computer to verify nothing is being recorded?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

iOS 4.14 seems to be causing issues. Be sure to open a case with official support about this.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gbweir wrote:

The cameras work fine. They just don't record locally to the base station since the app update.

The base station is a VMB 4540

Have you ejected the USB drive and looked at it?  That would confirm that the issue is with recording, and not with playback.

gbweir
Guide
Guide

Yes IOS, normal use. Have also checked the drive.

gbweir
Guide
Guide

Yes. Have also reformatted the USB

Pan523
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am a new user. After added the smarthub in app and connected camera to smarthub, i got so issue as below

• I cannot find any section to view the record
  • I cannot find the setup button for setup port forward setting
  • I cannot receive any notification even motion detected and recording from camera 

I have read the manual but still. Cannot find related function in my app. Any people can give me some hints? Thanks!!!

fauyeung829
Aspirant
Aspirant

I found the port forwarding for accessing the local storage from my Arlo Smart Hub stopped working recently. I saw other peoples reported the same problem in other posts and they mentioned the problem was due to the Arlo app updated to v4.14 recently. I have checked both the setting of IP address and port forwarding are correctly defined in the router and it is used to be working in the past. Please check and follow up. Thank you.